Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2017 6:28:29 PM EDT
I've got 15 mags I need to fill for SHTF/HD whatever. 14.5" barrel BCM. I see some XM855 online, 420rds for $150. I'd like something around that price. Tell me what to get.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll be the guy with a different idea.
Fill some of them with 77gr mk262.
Then chrono/dope your weapon and you will be lethal to 800 yards (if you do your part). There are legitimate reasons to have this ability.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Start with this:

Wolf Gold .223 1000 round case - Targetsportsusa

Buy more mags and ammo accordingly. 15 mags isn't very much, mags and ammo are cheap right now. I have I think around 40 full mags right now alone that are floating around the house in bug out bags, stashed around the house, in other bags/cases, on top of safe, etc. 15 is a good starting point though
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#3]
@CAP93 If you don't want to wait for PSA to have the Speer again, PRVI Partizan 223 55gr SP. Here is the gel test https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/PPU-223-55gr-SP-Gel-Test/5-2040461/

I'd wait for PSA and stock up on any of the following Speer Gold Dot:
Speer 223 55gr Gold Dot
Speer 223 64gr Gold Dot
Speer 223 75gr Gold Dot

Quoted:
Start with this:

Buy more mags and ammo accordingly. 15 mags isn't very much...
View Quote
OP didn't state he ONLY has 15 mags, he said he has 15 mags just for SHTF/HD.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I do only have 15 mags total. I'm a noob.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@CAP93 If you don't want to wait for PSA to have the Speer again, PRVI Partizan 223 55gr SP. Here is the gel test https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/PPU-223-55gr-SP-Gel-Test/5-2040461/

Speer 223 55gr Gold Dot
Speer 223 64gr Gold Dot
Speer 223 75gr Gold Dot

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Speer 223 55gr Gold Dot
Speer 223 64gr Gold Dot
Speer 223 75gr Gold Dot

That's my bad, read that wrong

Quoted:
As I said, everybody has to start somewhere. Buy more as funds allow. Black Friday is coming up too
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Then chrono/dope your weapon and you will be lethal to 800 yards (if you do your part). There are legitimate reasons to have this ability.
View Quote
I'm with this guy.  M855 and stuff like that is good for close range, kinda, but a good 75-77gr load will get you out there.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Wth does chrono/dope'ing a rifle mean
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:18:18 PM EDT
[#8]
One day, there will be some very happy millennials who just fell onto his uncle's, father's, grandfather's, cousin's former ammunition stash after they pass...along with a mountain of parts and mags.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wth does chrono/dope'ing a rifle mean
View Quote
Where your impact will be at a known set of distances to record for later uses.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh I thought you meant modify the firearm in some way
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:24:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you were to have asked that question in the precision forum here, you would get the long and bullet proof way of explanation.

Go there and ask, you can be most certainly be educated that will certainly help in making you a better rifleman
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

You can find the Magtech mk262 for around 55 cents a round currently.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm with this guy.  M855 and stuff like that is good for close range, kinda, but a good 75-77gr load will get you out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What situation would require taking a shot past 100 yards, maybe 200 yards tops in a SHTF scenario? Not trying to be a smartass, genuine question. In my way of thinking if you even have to take a shot past 150 yards or so, you should be bugging out/avoiding confrontation, and taking shots at long range if hunkered down/defending your property still doesn't sound like a valid reason for SHTF; TEOTWAWKI maybe if the world is already hell in a hand basket
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What situation would require taking a shot past 100 yards, maybe 200 yards tops in a SHTF scenario? Not trying to be a smartass, genuine question. In my way of thinking if you even have to take a shot past 150 yards or so, you should be bugging out/avoiding confrontation, and taking shots at long range if hunkered down/defending your property still doesn't sound like a valid reason for SHTF; TEOTWAWKI maybe if the world is already hell in a hand basket
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Vegas shooter was shooting from 400 plus yards away. What if this was happening in the country where police response is a half hour away or more and you can end the threat right then and there? A good shoot is still legally a good shoot.

A Mk262 or clone of can be the deciding happy medium here.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Vegas shooter was shooting from 400 plus yards away. What if this was happening in the country where police response is a half hour away or more and you can end the threat right then and there? A good shoot is still legally a good shoot.

View Quote
Good point and good example. Don't know why I didn't put something like that together in my head
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good point and good example. Don't know why I didn't put something like that together in my head
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This whole thing is linear. You have to be able to adapt to things as they come and try not to overthink things.

We adapted to IED's because IED's wasn't really a thing to us until it started happening. LV happened, and we need to adapt and be ready for that situation and not get stuck in our ways.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:37:11 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, I would grab some Speer Gold Dot for go to mags. Check PSA regularly and you'll find sales.

Wolf Gold is my go to for practice and will do well in a pinch for defense. I stick with 55 grain on both defense and practice ammo.

I've not felt the need to ever buy M855. Never been very accurate and more expensive than m193 type rounds. Just one semi-medium speed dude's opinion though- you do you!
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:15:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Grab some of this, you'll  like it.

https://www.wideners.com/checkout/cart
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Smart man here ^^
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:39:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I would keep an eye out for Geco, Ruag or IMI which are mid-grade quality, superior to the cheap steel case garbage but not as expensive as match grade ammo.

I also recommend Hornady Steel Match 55 grain - yes, this is steel case ammo but it is HORNADAY quality and shoots 1 MOA all day long in my AR's and bolt guns. It goes on sale frequently and you can find it now for $0.34/round. Paying that extra 5 cents over cheap M193 or chicom stuff will feel good when you shoot groups and are not getting the random milspec 3 and 4 moa fliers.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#22]
77 TMK is much better terminally than 77 SMK. Accuracy is close, Velocity is close, wind drift is less.TMK > SMK
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This whole thing is linear. You have to be able to adapt to things as they come and try not to overthink things.

We adapted to IED's because IED's wasn't really a thing to us until it started happening. LV happened, and we need to adapt and be ready for that situation and not get stuck in our ways.
View Quote
It's not the first time something like this has happened.  There was a sniper in  Texas on a college campus in the 60's and local LEO took a long time to deal with him because they had shotguns.  In fact I think the solution was one of them went to a sporting goods store and actually bought a rifle with a scope on it.  But this is from memory and that's not ideal any more.  But I do believe he was taking shots from a good poke and kids were getting hit.  

No where near the same numbers, but nevertheless.  Too many people on here say we shouldn't be shooting past 100 yards for self defense, IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 3:15:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
77 TMK is much better terminally than 77 SMK. Accuracy is close, Velocity is close, wind drift is less.TMK > SMK
View Quote
I put a 77 TMK into a jackrabbit. Right below the chin with it facing me at 150ish yards. It went through the ribs and out through one of it's cheeks and it still lived. I have not seen anything not DRT with a Mk262.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 3:21:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:Too many people on here say.
View Quote
That's the major problem.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've got 15 mags I need to fill for SHTF/HD whatever. 14.5" barrel BCM. I see some XM855 online, 420rds for $150. I'd like something around that price. Tell me what to get.
View Quote

Have you tried to find what ammo your rifle likes?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:25:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Have you tried to find what ammo your rifle likes?
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:43:43 AM EDT
[#28]
ive been buying federal m193 and m855 like crazy with the rebate going on but other than that ive been stocking up on mk262.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have like 8 lol
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#30]
That rebate sale on Federal plus PSA free shipping made me get a 420rnd can of XM193 $128.99 after rebate.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:58:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have like 8 lol
View Quote
I have 5.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
77 grain from a 14" barrel will he at about 23fps at 800 yards. 
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top