Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/25/2017 11:28:15 AM EDT
This might be an easy one but I'm looking for confirmation...

I ordered a new manufacture box of the BHA 5.56 77gr OTM (mk262). Again, this is a red box product.

So, I typically inspect each round after getting the delivery and noticed the use of Lake City brass. The "LC" stamp can be seen on each and every case, along with the obvious NATO mark and etc. I'm a little confused as I thought new production used their own brass, marked as "BHA" while reman was packaged with once fired Lake City.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#1]
IME, they've used several different brands of new brass over the years, especially when supply has been constrained for whatever reason.

Lake City is one of them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:37:15 AM EDT
[#2]
What did that run you delivered..?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:38:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What did that run you delivered..?
View Quote
Got it from Midway at like $56 a box. It was bundled with other stuff though.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#4]
done
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:18:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I recently got several boxes of Red box new ammo.

It was all loaded in FC .223 Rem brass with the SCAMP markings around the head.

It also was not shiny at all and almost looked like it had gotten wet.

Very disappointed in this batch of ammo.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:37:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
My stuff isn't too bad, it's really just comparable to typical Federal/Lake City/American Eagle brass. The best looking brass I use on the routine is new manufacture FM (sorry to bring it up), Wolf Gold, and the rare CBC 5.56 sealed/packed 1k can. Gorilla isn't too bad actually, either. But in all reality brass appearance doesn't have much an impact. Although trust me, my ocd loves it!
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
So it wasn't shiny, what did it do to make you disappointed?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#8]
It just didn't look like "New" ammo.

Primers were seated extra deep and hard giving them a flattened appearance.

Brass was very dingy like it had gotten wet.  

Blue Box Reman's I got at the same time were very nice and shiny with properly seated primers and actually looked higher quality than the red box.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I think since it's Mk262, it's supposed to be loaded in Lake City brass per spec.  Maybe not but I wouldn't think that's a bad thing.  There was a thread going around in here about how when guys choose to reload for accuracy they typically use lake city.  And some like to use the same year to help with even more consistency.  

But someone did like a water volume test, if my memory serves me correctly, lake city was more consistent than Winchester brass.  I don't remember if any other brand were tested.  

I think all of the .223 pressure ammo, red box, is going to be their brass.  But I'm not really sure.  I do have some red box, I can look and see.  It's like 10 years old though.  When I've bought red box ammo from them it was BHA stamped.....
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got a bunch of red box 55gr sp
FC 223 Rem on the case head can't
wait to try it.
PSA sale 11.99 a box.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Are you suggesting that Black Hills made a mistake producing this ammo?  Or they pulled a fast one?  Or midway pulled a fast one?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top