Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/22/2017 5:01:20 PM EDT
I found this out on the range the other day... I am trying to figure out what it is... Can anyone help?

the empty case in the picture is a .308

photobucket sucks... I just found out I can't use it anymore..

it looks like a lathed steel boattail bullet it's 1.843 long, 392.2 gr., .427" diameter, and if anyone has any good photo hosting sights they use I"ll get new pics up
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#1]
a .50MBG with the jacket ripped off on impact?
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Has to be the steel core from .50BMG.
Does it look like this?
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#3]
yeah I was able to post it on a facebook reloading group.. it's the steel core from .50bmg.. it looks like the second pic., but absolutely no copper on it..
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#4]
so what's the best current photo hosting website since I can no longer share with photobucket
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:31:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
so what's the best current photo hosting website since I can no longer share with photobucket
View Quote
I just started using imjur.

I like it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
yeah I was able to post it on a facebook reloading group.. it's the steel core from .50bmg.. it looks like the second pic., but absolutely no copper on it..
View Quote
The first pic was the tungsten core from an API round that went through a bunch of steel.
The second was a steel core from a normal ball round that I just found in my backstop. It only shed the copper jacket at the tip.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 4:25:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I just started using imjur.

I like it.
View Quote
+1

No issues so far

Imgur
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 5:17:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The first pic was the tungsten core from an API round that went through a bunch of steel.
View Quote
1 api doesn't have tungsten cores
2. how does tungsten bend?
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I am almost positive it was grey tip api as that was all I shot at that certain spot that day.

I guess I don't know what kind of core Api has (thought it was tungsten) but I know it flashed when it hit.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:55:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Caliber .50 , Ball, M2 uses a mild steel core.

Caliber .50, Armor Piercing, M2 uses a tungsten core.

The cores of the two are dimensionally the same, they differ only in material.

The projectile in osprey21's post is M2 Ball.

Caliber .50, API-T used a hardened tool steel core, I assume the API used a similar core.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top