Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2017 5:35:37 PM EDT
So one of my goals is to significantly increase my ammo cache.  Focusing on my ARs.  I want to have a healthy amount of both plinking and SD ammo.  I'm utilizing 55gr FMJ (mostly XM193 from American Eagle) for training. I have several mags loaded with Black Hills 75 gr Match for HD.  I'd like to have some soft points on hand too like Speer Gold Dot or Federal Fusion, is this a good idea or should I focus on FMJs and open tip/hollow point rounds for now?

Also I'm getting into reloading and I have a couple hundred Hornady 77 gr OTM bullets to start with.  Can someone recommend a good bonded JSP bullet to supplement the Hornady with?  I was thinking Nosler 64 grain bullets for example.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't keep separate training and HD mag stashes. I practice with the same stuff I shoot (fmj's) so that way I know that mag, with that ammo, in that rifle works. No sense in finding out the mag you had loaded for 3 years no longer works....when you need it.

KISS IMO
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#2]
OP how are you going to rezero for different weight projectiles when SHTF?

Just stick to one bullet weight, and make sure your self defense projectiles have roughly the same BAC as your FMJ range ammo
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Good points guys.  Guess I need to go back to the drawing board completely.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy it cheap and stack it deep

Buy it now and you'll have it later
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Right here is a good Bonded 62gr for reloading....... https://rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets-for-reloading/bullets-for-reloading-224-5-56mm/224-62-gr-premium-boat-tail-bonded-soft-point-new/?v=7516fd43adaa

You might even consider making this your do it all reloaded round.... And I am 99% sure those are Fed. Fusion 62gr bullets ( Speers are typically 64gr ) Both companies are owned by ATK.

Or... buy the 75gr Horn. ( test them first !! ) and just load that one... https://ammoseek.com/reloading/bullets/.224-diameter/Hornady-75grains
View Quote
Awesome. Thanks for the links!
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy it cheap and stack it deep

Buy it now and you'll have it later
View Quote
Best advise right here. Also posted is stay with same weight of bullet. Took me a year to match 3 different bullet weights for same POI, 168, 162 and 150 gr for my short barrel 308. Reloading makes it cheaper to do!
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:09:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top