Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2017 9:17:43 PM EDT
Plenty of places had it for ~50¢/round, but now the cupboards are bare. Except for cheaperthandirt, but want $12.33/20rnd = 61.7¢/rnd.

What happened?

BTW, there is debate if this is really "match" ammo as we generally think of it, but it does have a good reputation. As for my experience, my new S&W M&P 15 Sport II (1:9 twist) loves it. From 25yds on a rest with a scope, I got 3 different 6-shot groups at ~2MOA.   I'm sorry I don't have anything else to compare, but I also had the M1, and trouble with a used revolver.

So any thoughts on this ammo, and why it suddenly ran away?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Just speculation but it could be the regular manufacturing and/or importation cycle.

We're not in a panic or anything so there's not a lot of un-natural external political pressure in the mix.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to ar15.com!

I don't know anything about the availability of 69gr Privi, but I can be relatively certain that your rifle in fact, does not like the Privi. 
2 MOA from a scoped ar15 on a rest at 25yds is poor accuracy.  The 69gr Privi should average under 2 MOA  at 100yds with an average ar15. 
Have someone check out your shooting technique, try other ammunition brands, and for heck's sake, see what the rifle does at 100yds with a brand of ammo before committing to that ammo.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Ammoseek is your friend

I shot some today out of a total garbage parts gun build with $60 Bear Creek barrel, almost moa 5 shot groups at 100.  I like it.  My only complaint would be it's a bit on the slow side, 2630 average muzzle velocity out of that 18 inch barrel, iirc FGMM 69 grain is over 100 fps faster out of the same barrel.  For half the normal price, no complaints.  I don't shoot tons of it, a semi local Rural King keeps most Privi and Geco ammo in stock, pretty much the only reason I go there.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:01:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Welcome to ar15.com!

I don't know anything about the availability of 69gr Privi, but I can be relatively certain that your rifle in fact, does not like the Privi. 
2 MOA from a scoped ar15 on a rest at 25yds is poor accuracy.  The 69gr Privi should average under 2 MOA  at 100yds with an average ar15. 
Have someone check out your shooting technique, try other ammunition brands, and for heck's sake, see what the rifle does at 100yds with a brand of ammo before committing to that ammo.
View Quote
Isn't 2 MOA at 25y a 1/4" group? Maybe I'm having a brain fart. For instance a 2" group at 200 would be 1MOA.

Might be misremembering.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 1:01:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Isn't 2 MOA at 25y a 1/4" group? Maybe I'm having a brain fart. For instance a 2" group at 200 would be 1MOA.

Might be misremembering.
View Quote
2 MOA at 25y should be 1/2" as it's roughly equal to 2" at 100.

OP, how large are your groups, in inches, at 25y?  I've never found PRVI "match" ammo to be particularly accurate in any of my guns, at least not compared to other commercially available loads.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:23:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Welcome to ar15.com!

View Quote
This was on a rest, but even with that, should a $500 AR be getting sub 2MOA?
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:50:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

OP, how large are your groups, in inches, at 25y?  I've never found PRVI "match" ammo to be particularly accurate in any of my guns, at least not compared to other commercially available loads.
View Quote
I don't think PPU is true match ammo, but from what I have seen online, it is a step above GI ball. If I may ask, how many guns have you fed it to, and what are the twist rates for them?

The groups are about 1/2". I used a homemade target with a grid of 1/4" inch squares and a 2" black dot, which I made with a spreadsheet. Because I merely wanted to see what my new toy could do, I didn't bother zeroing the scope.

For the sake of candor, I eyeballed everything through the scope. I did not measure the paper with a caliper, so this is why I say ~2MOA; it was probably a hair less. Next time, I will do it at 100yds to reduce measurement error, and at least examine the paper. directly.

Also, as I understand the way it should be measured, all of the rounds at least juuuuust hit the edge of a 1/2" circle @ 25yds, the group is considered 2MOA.

Put another way, if a round breaks a smidgen of a 2MOA circle, it counts as being in the 2MOA group.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:59:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Interesting. I need to do some more reading up on stuff like that I spend most of my time shooting 50 yards or less off hand working on recoil management and speed stuff.

Wonder if this PPU 69gr is any good in gel like its big brother.

I'd really like to see Prvi load it to 5.56 spec and add a cannelure. Would be a good budget MK262.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I tried a few boxes of 69gr PPU "Match" in my 1/7 PSA CHF upper and I wasn't impressed. Wolf Gold delivered about the same(maybe better)accuracy for a lot less money.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote
This little linky went to my bookmarks...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I tried a few boxes of 69gr PPU "Match" in my 1/7 PSA CHF upper and I wasn't impressed. Wolf Gold delivered about the same(maybe better)accuracy for a lot less money.
View Quote
Me too - it's better than Wolf Gold, which is the most accurate of all the cheaper 55gr and 62gr offerings that I tried, but it certainly isn't FGMM.  If memory serves, it printed ~1.5" groups at 100yds out of my RRA LAR15 X-1.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#13]
69gr Prvi match shoots under an inch with 2 of my 1-9's, 5 shot @100yds, the stuff is awesome. As far as shooting at 25 yds with groups of 2 " , not so much for you.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#14]
25yd is way too close to be judging accuracy of a centerfire rifle. That's not even enough room to see whtat the ammo will do or if there are inconsistencies in velocity.

Go out to 50 or 100yd before judging accuracy. And 2moa is nothing to write home about but is plenty good for real life situational shooting.

I can pretty easily hit a 10" steel plate at 200yd with my 11.5" SBR and red dot using Wolf steel cases 62gr. I'm probably 80% on the 6" plate. However, the misses are likely my inability to see the target clearly with a 3moa dot at 200yd.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top