Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2017 11:17:01 PM EDT
PS90 seems to run fine with the FN branded blue tip ammo, but this stuff straight up scared me today at the range.

This is what happened:
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Anyone else have this problem with this ammo or is it the gun? Magazine feeds blue tip fine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 3:01:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't see it in the pic, but is there any crimp on the AE? Is the FN crimped well?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no noticeable crimp on either of them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#3]
This happens with AE ammo for me as well, about 1-3 stoppages per 50 end mag. Usually a minimum of 1 per mag.

Absolutely zero ever with FN ammo. Seems to not be mag related in my experience.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Over on the FiverSeven forum, American Eagle has a well documented history of failures going back since it's introduction.

It's shit tier ammo that should never be purchased. Stick to SS197, SS195, SS198.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup...I gave up on AE 5.7 ammo a while ago. Only run FN now in my PS90.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#6]
The funny thing is SS197 is made by Fiocchi, same people who make the AE TMJ... I think most of these failures are because the 40gr TMJ is a really short bullet, so the glue used to hold these in place doesn't have a good amount of bearing surface needed like SS197SR or the longer 27gr bullets. That being said, I hardly run into any issues with it in the FSN, and even in my SBR are few, far and in between.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Never tried it because of a consistent stream of reports of such failures when it came out. Would hate to blow up an SBR.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Got a box of it and blue tip enroute for this:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#9]
This is all the further I have gotten with Federal since I posted:

"Thank you for contacting us. What is the lot number of the ammunition? This number will be located on the inside of the top flap of the box and appear to be an ink stamped number.

Please attach any pictures you have.

This is a known issue with the firearms/mags for the 5.7x28 round. Once we receive the lot number and the pictures we will contact you on the next steps.

Thanks

Federal
BB"

I sent the lot number, but have a feeling they are just going to tell me it is my factory mags that work fine with other ammo.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#10]
They want me to sent back a box of ammo+the damaged rounds. I will see what happens from there.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top