Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2017 12:02:11 PM EDT
What to do with mold contaminated ammo?

I moved out of a rental home contaminated with mold. My ammo boxes were sitting on concrete with black mold.
I set the boxes outside being careful not to contaminate my home.
It took weeks for the remediation company to start so it was outside for too long and some of the boxes have mold on the outside.
My mold remediation company won't clean ammo, so now I'm stuck with it.

How do I clean it properly to avoid cross contamination of my magazines which might go back into my safe later on?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#1]
You talking about the boxes ? Right ?
Empty the boxes. Put the ammo in an ammo box or ammo can. Throw it in Tupperware. Done.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#2]
The boxes have mold. I have some tupperware I'm beginning to transfer the ammo into.
The ammo may have mold spores. There is some black specs on the ammo, could be corrosion, could be mold.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Outdoor range, shoot it up!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would recommend simply dumping the ammunition into a chlorine solution, but the outcry of the mob's "O teh noes ..."
View Quote
That's what I would do.
Box and all. Give it a couple hours and pick out  the garbage.
Hose it off and onto the towels to dry.

I wont tell how many 22lr iv seen come OUT of the drier. They were clearly washed as well.

If water was going to get in...i would think it would be in a 22lr.

Growing up my buddy's mom would have a cup on top of the drier and we could always find a few rounds in there.

Never saw that woman so pissed as the day she sucked one into her new Kirby vacuum.

The good old days....
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#6]
The fact that you let it sit outside could have dried out the mold but I still wouldn't take any chances. I would dump them in a bucket with water and bleach and let it sit for a while.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Toss boxes. Soak ammo in bucket with bleach and water mixture. Rinse ammo off, allow to air dry. Pay attention to where you store your ammo from now on. Shoot, buy ammo cans NOW and store it in them with some dessicant packs tossed in, post cleaning of course.

Or, leave them alone, clean the brass but leave the mold on your bullet. It is now a new home defense round, if the gunshot doesn't kill them, the mold will surely leave them with some medical problems.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:14:16 PM EDT
[#9]
This is a tech forum. Contribute or don't post - Eric802
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:47:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How much ammo are we talking about ?

And what specific brand's and caliber's ?
View Quote
1,000 rounds 5.56 IWI
500-1,000 rounds 45 ACP winchester white box and win 1911
100 rounds 45 acp ASYM
~100 rounds 308 ASYM
~150 rounds of 9mm  geco and win x
One box of 22LR federal

These were all soaked in tupperware with mold killer from ace hardware designed to kill mold on contact of 90 seconds or longer. The fluid turned from clear to yellow, to green by the end.

Luckily the PVRI 7.62 case of ~1,000 was sealed in plastic heat sealed bags. I saturated the plastic bags with the mold killer.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:10:12 AM EDT
[#11]

people are acting like mold is dealing with radioactive waste.

throw out boxes, put ammo in ammo cans after its dried out.

shoot.

rinsing/soaking/ all that crap is not needed. The mold can't grow w/o food.

eta too late
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Black mold can kill you, you do know that, right? We're no talking about moldy cheese.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Black mold can kill you, you do know that, right? We're no talking about moldy cheese.
View Quote
OP was LIVING in a house full of it, you do know that, right?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
you're one of those uneducated people huh

Now tell me, does all black mold kill you, or just a certain type?

Does one spore kill you or just a few?

Can simple precautions protect you from such a thing?

OMG black Mold the OP is a zombie posting from the grave!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#15]
too many windows open 
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Get those plastic kiddy pool and fill it up with bleach. Soak your cans in it for 15 mins and let it dry.

Done.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
All black mold is harmful. Black mold is toxic enough that over exposure for long periods of time ESPECIALLY kids and infants can lead to major health problems. While you might not die from black mold itself you can die from the health effects that it can cause. But like you said, I'm uneducated. Oh and a friend of mine was exposed to black mold for a year (it was in the walls) and to this day, 10 years later, she is still hacking that shit out of her lungs. They put her on a ton of antibiotics to kill it off, but if she didn't get it treated she wouldn't be here today.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:59:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got the fuck out too.
My wife was getting dizzy, my son was getting chronic diarrhea, we were all feeling sick, my wife and I had minor breathing problems. There were three strains of mold in the home.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:03:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

throw out boxes, put ammo in ammo cans after its dried out.

shoot.

rinsing/soaking/ all that crap is not needed. The mold can't grow w/o food.

eta too late
View Quote
The safe interior is potentially the food, so is wood and paper. It's also dark and a good temp, it's not wet where I live now though.  
Most of my furniture and clothes didn't remediate so well and is getting tossed out. Didn't want my safe getting tossed out later on over cross contamination.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:17:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
The mold stain labeled as "black mold" is actually stachybotrys.
Mildew could be called black mold, but it isn't actually stachybotrys what's actually coined as black mold. Not all mold that's black is technically "black mold." I copied and pasted symptoms from a mold website. I bolded the symptoms my family had. I could be missing some. The website doesn't list bronchospasms which I also had.

Mental problems
Confusion
Brain fog
Shortened attention span
Difficulty concentrating and paying attention
Slowed reflexes
Disorientation
Dizziness
Memory loss and memory problems
Impaired learning ability
Hallucinations
Shock
Anxiety
Depression

Aggression and other personality changes
Tingling
Trembling
Shaking
Seizure
Numbness

Respiratory
Difficulty breathing - breathlessness or shortness of breath
Wheezing
Coughing
Pulmonary edema - swelling of the lungs
Pulmonary hemorrhage - bleeding in the lungs
Sore throat
Burning sensation of the mouth
Bleeding gums
Runny nose
Itchy nose
Stuffy, blocked nose

Nose bleeds

Circulatory
Irregular heartbeat
Heart inflammation
Damage to heart
Low blood pressure
Bone marrow disruption
Bleeding tendency
Blood not clotting properly
Hemorrhage - internal bleeding
Vomiting up blood
Bleeding in the brain and in other organs

Vision
Eye inflammation and soreness
Red or bloodshot eyes
Eye damage
Blurry vision and vision worsening
Jaundice (yellowing of the eyes)

Skin
Crawling skin
Dermatitis - skin inflammation, rash, blisters, itchiness
Jaundice (yellowing of the skin)

Immune
Immunosuppression - immune system not functioning properly
Infections reoccurring

Reproduction
Infertility
Miscarriage
Impotence
Fetal development problems

Tiredness and Discomfort
Chronic fatigue
Drowsiness
Weakness
Aches and pains
Muscle pain
Chest pain
Abdominal pain
Joint pain
Malaise - general discomfort
Headaches
Cold or flu type symptoms or recurring colds
Fever
Nausea
Vomiting
Diarrhea

Other
Hair loss
Weight loss, anorexia
Hearing loss
Liver disease
Coma
Death
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I would tumble it in my brass tumbler if it really bothered me.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That's enough about the fucking mold. Talk about cleaning the ammo or don't post.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Any ammunition should be fine; brass is not damaged by mold and can be easily cleaned with a bleach solution - as was mentioned above.  When handling this stuff, wear gloves.  A dust mask isn't a bad idea either.  

Wearing gloves (I like nitrile gloves) protects your hands from the mold and from the bleach.  Chlorine bleach is pretty bad@$$ stuff itself - it cleans by chemically dissolving whatever you're trying to get off the thing you're cleaning.  Make sure the brass/magazine parts/etc. is dry after you finish cleaning.

I have quite a bit of ammunition in cardboard boxes, but it's stored on an open, well ventilated shelf.  It helps hold my loading bench down!  Cardboard with crud on it is one of the earliest indicators of a mold problem because cardboard is good at getting and staying damp.  This is why I frequently inspect that loaded ammo under my bench.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Range day, sponsored by OP!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Simple. Put on a respirator and gloves. Get a bottle of Cavicide. Remove ammo from packaging and dispose of packaging. Pour cavicide in a bucket. Dip ammo in Cavicide, then set it in the sun to dry. Wask ammo can with Cavicide. Done.

Cavicide is generally non-reactive with metals, but is sooner-than-instant-death on things like viruses, bacteria, and molds. Hospital disinfectant. Oh, and the fumes won't kill you. Doesn't smell much, either.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wipe the loaded ammunition down with a chlorine in water solution.  Soak the magazines in the same solution, then a rinse bath, then a bath submerged in WD-40, then wipe excess off and store away.

Toss the boxes.

I would recommend simply dumping the ammunition into a chlorine solution, but the outcry of the mob's "O teh noes ..." precludes application of knowledge instead of feels.
View Quote
NO!!!!! Chlorine is reactive with metals, and will cause corrosion!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Which is why I recommended a "chlorine bleach solution."  A quick wipe with a diluted bleach solution will do the job and not hurt the brass, as long as it's wiped dry quickly afterward.

Now if I had known that you can get Cavicide as cheaply and easily as I've just learned (WalMart, Office Max, etc.), I'd have suggested it myself.  Our housekeeping staff uses it and it works very well; it does in anything and everything.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That's enough about the fucking mold. Talk about cleaning the ammo or don't post.
View Quote
Wth that response Wow maybe you are exposed to black mold in your living habitat! Jk
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Spray bottle with bleach solution

Plastic shallow tub

Latex gloves, old clothes so not to ruin good clothes

Setup out side

Spray one batch of ammo at a time lightly and quickly wipe clean / dry

Transfer to clean ammo cans with dessicant packs

It will take time obviously but it's the best course of action I can think of.

Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 3:54:57 AM EDT
[#31]
For cleaning mold with a diluted solution of chlorine bleach, it takes more than a quick spray and wipe. In fact, a 10% chlorine bleach dilution can take about 30-45 minutes to kill most things. If you're just going to spray-and-wipe, you might as well do nothing. Half an hour in a diluted bleach bath can possibly weaken the brass enough to result in split cases. Hazmat decon is kinda one of my things, and that includes decontaminating weapons. Chlorine bleach is more damaging than people realize. Heck, I see flash-rusted handcuffs all the time that were dipped and dried immediately.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#32]
I've always thought that this would be a two step process: remove anything stuck to the brass with a conventional cleaner (NOT Windex due to its ammonia content), leaving bare-looking brass, and THEN wiping with bleach solution.  Mold is a tenacious beast, so my thought was to removing what's visible would basically leave brass that only needed sanitizing.

My primary experience with decontamination has been in chem warfare training - wherein bleach is your friend because it is so chemically active.  My most current experience is in health care, where dilute bleach kills any and everything dead, dead, dead with a "wet time" of around 2-3 minutes.  Is bleach exposure for that long damaging to brass?  And is the mechanism a reaction with the zinc in the brass or both zinc and copper?

If using chemistry on brass is out of the question, what about steam?  A portable steam cleaner can power off all sorts of crud and not raise the temperature of the substrate enough to be "hot to the touch".
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The ammo may have mold spores.
View Quote
Everything has mold spores.   You have black mold spores all over your new place right now.

If you have humidity and stuff it can grow on, it will grow.  If not, it won't.   You know what will also kill the shit out of mold spores on ammo?   Shooting it.

Don't store ammo just sitting around in boxes, and certainly don't store it sitting on concrete, but now that that water is under the bridge, toss all the rounds into ammo cans with a dessicant; problem solved.

Don't spray it with anything - some cleaners can attack the brass.  Don't dunk it it anything.  Seal it in a can until it's time to shoot it.  Not a damn thing is going to happen to you when you open the can and shoot it later.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:49:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I left out "bleach"; I'll edit the post.

Where would I find elemental chlorine?
View Quote
Chlorine gas is what large pools use to purify their water.  It is green, heavier than air, and was one of the first chemical warfare agents used in WWI.  You don't want to mess with it.  

My dad worked in the chemical industry, and when their plant had a chlorine leak, he did the smart thing: put on his respirator and high tailed it out of the area.  His coworkers, who were slower to respond, spent a couple weeks in the hospital with damaged lungs...
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 3:55:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, sunshine, just call it BLEACH, but we're referring specifically to a liquid made up of sodium hypochlorite, sodium chloride, sodium carbonate, sodium chlorate, sodium hydroxide, and sodium polyacrylate in varying amounts. Happy now?

Elemental chlorine is a component in the production of bleach, and the resulting liquid causes metals to oxidize rapidly.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I wonder if "oxygen bleach" would work to destroy mold on brass without damaging the brass.  Oxygen bleaches are basically sodium percarbonate and hydrogen peroxide.  Peroxides tend to be devastating to organic matter, but I don't know what they might do to brass.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Hmmm.... I think I feel a need to set up a scientific inquiry (after the H-cane is done).
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top