Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/9/2010 12:34:08 PM EDT
To start this off, since I have had my AR I have shot nothing but Wolf (black box and mi. classic) through it, and NEVER had problems. It shoots fantastic and I am happy with it, so most people will question, "Why change?"

I am not extremely "schooled" on the do's and dont's when it comes to basic AR15 ammunition, but I have been told steel cased ammo is bad for your rifle and Wolf is probably the nastiest.

While i am not having trouble with my rifle, I want to change the long term effects that I could possibly cause in using this brand.

I plan buying in bulk this weekend a couple hundred rounds, and I am stuck between a few brands, PMC, Federal Lake City XM193, etc., but can I use 5.56 is a .223 AR15?? I thought it would cause damage.

Any help and suggestions on affordable ammunition would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:44:11 PM EDT
To add, my rifle is a Rock River Arms Entry Tactical.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:42:05 PM EDT
Is your barrel stamped 5.56 or .223?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:45:56 PM EDT
Wolf won't hurt anything, even if it isn't particularly accurate.. I've heard rumors it can accelerate wear on your extractor. If that is true, keep an extra extractor on hand, they're cheap.

You should not fire 5.56 NATO ammo in a .223 Rem chamber due to pressure problems that may arise. If you have a .223 Wylde chamber, you should be GTG with 5.56.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:52:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 1:54:12 PM EDT by KerryW]
grab some of each and see how it runs in your rifle. then decide.

ETA: a couple of hundred is not bulk, that's just and afternoon at the range
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:11:27 PM EDT
Wolf is fine and will not hurt anything, except possibly the extractor, due to the steel case. Stick with it, or get some Tula or Brown Bear. If you're super worried about it, just clean your rifle after shooting it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:47:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Finallyablkgun:
Is your barrel stamped 5.56 or .223?

This is the question, which needs to be answered prior to answering your question with regard to shooting 5.56 from your rig.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:29:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:17:05 PM EDT
Wolf is crappy ammo.....but it wont hurt anything, dont worry that it is steel cased stuff.......if it makes you feel any better do a quick search on TAP practice ammo in 223.......its also steel cased
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:26:57 PM EDT
your rifle should be gtg on the 5.56. call rra to make certain!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:00:18 PM EDT
Your entry tac has the wylde chamber it's gtg on 556 ammo (disclaimer call rra). The question I have for you is that the entry tac is factory guaranteed to shoot 1.5 MOA I believe, so unless you are just blasting and not shooting for groups I guess that's fine, but you're not even coming close to your rifle's potential. I use one for my work gun and for a production carbine it is stupid accurate with just about everything high quality I feed it. Of course I've shot a lot of wolf also. Make sure that when you switch from wolf to brass you scrub the hell out of the chamber with a GI chamber brush and clean it really well or you could have a stuck case if you really heat the gun up. Good luck, great gun.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:52:39 PM EDT
As many have pointed out, 200 rounds hardly qualifies as "bulk". "An afternoon at the range alone", maybe. If I take friends, my .223 stash is not safe (especially if I take a certain friend and my Mini-14). If your rifle runs on it, Wolf is fine for blasting ammo. If you're worried about "wear" on your rifle, get an extra extractor (probably wouldn't be a bad thing to have even if you were shooting brass cased ammo exclusively).

Others have answered the .223 vs. 5.56 question, so I'll leave that be. Of the two types of brass cased ammo you listed, both are fine. Prvi Partizan is also good stuff (same as Wolf Gold).

Someone said "get Tula". Tula = steel case Wolf. For blasting, I'm a fan of the Bear ammos (Brown/Silver/Golden, aka Barnaul/Monarch steel case), but Wolf/Tula is also fine.

If you're wanting to start a SHTF stash, I'd say M193 is the minimum (Federal or Prvi), and anything you can get above that is icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:14:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:06:53 PM EDT
Yeah I can see my foot definately got stuck in my mouth when I said "buy in bulk couple hundred rounds". What I meant was I was going to order a bulk case, instead of a few boxes to play with, etc., probably around 6-800.

Thanks everyone for the replies, and I will be contacting RRA shortly to verify what you all have said about the Wylde Chamber.

To jcoffman:
Glad to see someone using it as a patrol rifle, I have heard the DEA swears by them. I havent actually been on a good bench or rest trying to see the groupings I get out of it while being steady, but standing in position with my knees bent and leaned forward in to the rifle, I can blast away a softball sized rock at about 250 yards with a full 30rnd pmag. I have never been unsatisfied with my rifle or Wolf, but I just want to make sure I am taking care of it and feeding it the right ammo, if it can potentially save my life in a situation, I wanna baby it
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:54:55 PM EDT
Just got off the phone with RRA, and the guy insisted on me shooting nothing but 5.56 through the gun. He also said I would have more chances to have trouble from the .223 than I would the 5.56 in my rifle.

I guess that solves it...Now just to order some brass.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:57:04 PM EDT
.223 is fine through a 5.56, the guy is wrong RRA employee or not

AGFA changing, if you havnt had issue, why bother switching? It only gets more pricey to shoot!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:41:39 PM EDT
stock up on m855
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:27:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SIG-shooter:
.223 is fine through a 5.56, the guy is wrong RRA employee or not

AGFA changing, if you havnt had issue, why bother switching? It only gets more pricey to shoot!

I agree, it does get more pricey, but in the end its always, "you get what you pay for"
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:30:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By hotbiggun42:
stock up on m855

I'm between these:

Federal Ammunition Federal Lake City FMJBT XM193
Federal Lake City

And as you suggested:
Federal Lake City Penetrator M855
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:59:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By CleanMoostang:
stock up on m855

I'm between these:

Federal Lake City

And as you suggested:

Or go to palmettostatearmory.com and get it for a heck of a lot less.....
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:31:05 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Callisto32:
Originally Posted By CleanMoostang:
stock up on m855

I'm between these:

Federal Lake City

And as you suggested:

Or go to palmettostatearmory.com and get it for a heck of a lot less.....

I agree my friend, around 100 bucks for 300rnd pack. Good call!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:56:47 PM EDT
I've had a Entry Tactical since late 2006. Great rifle, but the 1MOA @100 yd guarantee is a stretch.
Top Top