User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 57
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 12:46:25 AM EDT
[#1]
This is all I got:

Would somebody be kind enough to give me some advance notice before we get to TEOTWAWKI? I'll need a few moments to get my stockpile ready for action.
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 12:48:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By Engineer:
This is all I got:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/redneckasiangunfanatic/guns/38spcl.jpg

Would somebody be kind enough to give me some advance notice before we get to TEOTWAWKI? I'll need a few moments to get my stockpile ready for action.

Link Posted: 12/22/2006 3:18:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By beltfedMGs:
I burn up 7,000-10,000 rnds every shoot, have ammo brought to the house by the tons by tractor trailor, ammo is stacked to the ceilin and all around the walls and at another location cause i cant keep it all here. Ammo Whore? NO. Preparred? YES!

so your the dammed reason I cant find any zombies
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 3:35:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dpmmn] [#4]
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 3:54:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Dan,

Not only are you a whore you're a tease too.

Scott
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By dpmmn:
Here is some 7.62x39 and 9mm in .30 cal cans  

i17.tinypic.com/2aeyrue.jpg

What kind of label maker do you have? I've been thinking of getting one to replace the one I have: a Sharpie and the freebie white labels I get at work.
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I use a Kroy K2500.  Great labeler.   Will do labels, heat shrink and cable labels.   Here is where I get mine from.   Great place to deal with.   Sometimes they run a deal where you buy like 20 Carts and they give you a label maker for free.    

Hanover Technical Supply in Norfolk VA
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 11:44:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: silascobb] [#8]

Originally Posted By Engineer:
This is all I got:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/redneckasiangunfanatic/guns/38spcl.jpg

"According to police reports, the suspect possessed an arsenal of weapons and ammo and the materials and ability to manufacture his own ammo.  Nazi paraphernalia (a copy of "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich") was also found amid the suspect's items at the safe house."
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By Harp:

What an amateur...

only 175 rounds of 12 gauge!

Harp

I know, I know... it's that damned Saiga-12 that has caused the 12 gauge stock to dwindle. We just got our 07 FFL and are waiting on the 02 SOT to arrive and once that happens.. can you imagine how much I will go through with a select-fire Siaga

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I feel like a 16 year old virgin with my measly 3500 rounds....oh yeah! I almost forgot. I got 1 box of shotgun shells.

a-bare
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Last year if I thought about opening a battle pack of SA 7.62 I bought a case.  If I actually opened one I bought 2.
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#12]
call me nervous but I worry about you guys posting what ammo you have and the quantity of each. When the ban comes down, And you all know theres always that possibility, the JBT's will know which door to come knocking on......
Weapons "mostly" are a matter of records but the ammo is something nobody knows how much you have on hand. MAYBE it should stay a mystery?? Anyone agree with this or does my tinfoil hat need adjusted?
M4
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By M4-gery:
call me nervous but I worry about you guys posting what ammo you have and the quantity of each. When the ban comes down, And you all know theres always that possibility, the JBT's will know which door to come knocking on......
Weapons "mostly" are a matter of records but the ammo is something nobody knows how much you have on hand. MAYBE it should stay a mystery?? Anyone agree with this or does my tinfoil hat need adjusted?
M4

2nd that - I've wanted to post and be part of the group but I too am hesitant (especially with my FCC call sign being my login, you all may not know who I am, but a simple request to FCC.gov from any other .gov yields who I am, current address, etc.).  Plus for all the .govs that may currently be or will be monitoring this thread I don't really have much ammo or many guns anyway, just an old crappy 22 LR that I'll easily turn in when it's banned...
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#15]

M4

Bud, if it gets to that point they'll have already kicked your door in, raped your wife, shot your dog, and taken your guns.

Nothing wrong to me in putting ammo back to use in spot shortages and when certain kinds run out. [like certain 308 surp makes]

While some in the gooberment might not like it, there is nothing wrong with owning LEGAL products and using them in a safe manner. Just because that product is ammo does not mean [outside of some dumb ass areas] that the gooberment can take that product because they do not like it. Sure, some do, witness NO and SOME of the responders.

Besides, the gooberment knows more about your ass and mine then you can possibly believe. You can put tinfoil back on now that you know that.

Link Posted: 12/23/2006 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd like to chime in about folks being nervous about posting what ammo they have.  I spent over 23 years in the Air Force, working with some of the smartest people in DoD, doing some incredible things.  But I can state categorically that the DoD, overall, is dumber than dirt.  And that's because it's a government agency, run by bureaucrats who do not have a real clue about the internal details of what that agency's job is and what it takes to get that job done.  Don't get me wrong, there are very smart people in the Pentagon-and in all government agencies-but the people who RUN the place are suits, not grunts, and don't have anything like a strategic or tactical mind.

In other words, our government, bless its greedy, stupid, arrogant heart, is not capable of collecting data on people in such a way to target individuals for a theoretical and not yet introduced ban on ammunition.  It would take a huge structure, thousands of suits and billions of dollars to "watch" us, and nobody in Congress is going to go down in history as supporting an expensive program that can't be explained away as really defensive.  Look at what happened with the less savory parts of the USA PATRIOT act.  No orbiting space wheel mothership is watching your UPS shipments, and nobody is scanning web boards to see if people mention "bad" things.

Sure, there ARE surveillance programs looking for specific terms in Internet traffic, but they aren't looking for "look what the UPS guy brought me today!" or "how much M193 can I fit into a 20mm ammo can".  They're looking for text that's about real threats-the guys at NSA, for example, are GOOD GUYS.  Imagine their job, for a moment; they have to scan millions of recorded minutes every day - recordings their computers have flagged as possible intel sources - and make a decision about what that conversation is about.  There's a huge difference between our chatter about "who's an ammo whore" and two guys considering which mall to target, and frankly, we're all pretty much using "clear text" while my Intel buddies mention "lots of talk around" in covert conversations.

I'm not worried about Big Brother seeing that I have a bunch of Wolf (Barnaul, actually) ammo.
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Based on what I've gone thru in the last 10 years, I've got 10 or 15 years worth. That doesn't say much, I could have only 100 rounds stashed cuz I only had to shoot once or twice a year.

Whats the purpose of a store? Have enough for the rest of your life in case you can't buy it in the future? Use as currency? I'm betting eveyone has different ideas.

Have enough if SHTF? Are you bugging out - how much can you carry? If sitting tight - how much will you really go through (wide open debate for another thread).

How about rounds of stash per weapon? Got spare barrels/uppers/parts when they get worn?

So many questions....

And no, I'm not a whore, I collect it, not sell it. I am a bit of a slut, use it frequently and really enjoy it..

Link Posted: 12/23/2006 2:53:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TnRedneck] [#18]

I don't know if I'm a whore or a concerned citizen who feels if you have the means, it is best to be prepared for a SHTF event.

Which do you feel is more important - rounds per firearm or rounds per caliber?

To be a whore do you need more than:

>2 rounds in your primary rifle defense caliber,
>2 rounds in your secondary rifle defense caliber,
>1 rounds in your primary long range rifle defense caliber
>2 rounds in you battle rifle caliber,
>1 rounds in your primary shotgun gauge,
>1 rounds in your primary handgun defense caliber,
>5 rounds for each handgun caliber other than primary, and
10,000 rounds of .22 for bartering with those who thought you were a nut case to do the former.

If this is your criteria, I may be a whore - certainly by the time I fine the next good deal on .22 stuff.  

ETA:  deleted quantity

Link Posted: 12/23/2006 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By bdgenz:
Have enough if SHTF? Are you bugging out - how much can you carry? If sitting tight - how much will you really go through (wide open debate for another thread).

187 rounds

How about rounds of stash per weapon? Got spare barrels/uppers/parts when they get worn?

187 rounds

In all seriousness great questions, I've always thought there is never "too much" ammo.  If your stash grows large enough you can always have secondary usages for it (temporary shelters, permanent shelters, defensive fortifications [50's stacked seven high and four deep filled with rounds should stop most small arms fire] ) .
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By kc7txm:

M4

2nd that - I've wanted to post and be part of the group but I too am hesitant (especially with my FCC call sign being my login, you all may not know who I am, but a simple request to FCC.gov from any other .gov yields who I am, current address, etc.).  Plus for all the .govs that may currently be or will be monitoring this thread I don't really have much ammo or many guns anyway, just an old crappy 22 LR that I'll easily turn in when it's banned...

It's easier than that... Mr. MDK in QC

Link Posted: 12/23/2006 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#21]

And no, I'm not a whore, I collect it, not sell it. I am a bit of a slut, use it frequently and really enjoy it..

Wow.....

I think somebody just put it in terms that might illustrate that we aren't "whores" selling a product/service, rather we are filthy dirty sluts who are in it only for ourselves....
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#22]
As a father I kinda look at it not if I am a ammo whore or slut, but how many generations will I supply.I know my current ammo stash will definentely last my lifetime and a good part of my kids lifetime. so I call myselfe a two generation ammo whore LOL. Today are the good ol days readilly avail ammo pre ban style guns is what we will be talking about in a few years. PLease dont flame me about the ammo, I know ammo prices have really gone up over the last year but I feel it is only going to get worse from here.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By uglygun:

Wow.....

I think somebody just put it in terms that might illustrate that we aren't "whores" selling a product/service, rather we are filthy dirty sluts who are in it only for ourselves....

Now that's what I call an astute analogy!  
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By thanegrooms:

Exactly.  Thankfully that's my business' address so I don't have to worry about people just "looking me up" (and we don't mind walk in traffic anyway...), but you can see my point as to why I hesitate.
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Does it count if the floor in the room where you keep your ammo in collapsed from the weight and you had to pour a slab underneath and put in steel beams?

I'm just askin'...

Shane
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Page 6 is MINE!!!! Bwa haaa!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 11:39:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 11:55:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By fxntime:

Yeah, but where is your ammo

Gettin a Digi Camera for Christmas. Got the puter whiz kid home from school next week so hopefully I'll post some pics of my measly stash and a few gunz. Maybe a few M1As, ARs, Garands and 1911s, [GI and Civi]
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I only got 5k in the bedroom
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Not me!

Somebody told me that 100 rds is all anybody really needs anyway

Link Posted: 12/24/2006 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#33]

Gettin a Digi Camera for Christmas. Got the puter whiz kid home from school next week so hopefully I'll post some pics of my measly stash and a few gunz. Maybe a few M1As, ARs, Garands and 1911s, [GI and Civi]

Where's the pics

Yeah, should have had plenty of time for those batteries and get something posted by now.
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Here is some 7.62x39 and 9mm in .30 cal cans  

i17.tinypic.com/2aeyrue.jpg

I've got a super wide angle lens on my camera if you need
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 12:29:20 AM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By thanegrooms:

Originally Posted By kc7txm:

M4

google is your friend.

Or not.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 8:50:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Ypu may be a whore if you spent more on ammo in one month then you did on your house payment.  I would admit to this, but I only have one round of .22 and one .38.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#37]
It is clear to me that I have far to go before approaching ammo-whoredom.

Nevertheless, I am making a modest start.  Last weekend I bought almost a case (930 rounds) of M855, Just Because It Was There.  "Almost" a case, simply because that was all they had in stock.  Also, because it was already loaded in stripper clips, three clips to a carboard sleeve, each cardboard sleeve neatly packaged in a little plastic Zip-Lok type bag.  Not a single spoon in the whole shipment (!), but I managed to get hold of a spoon somewhere else.

Luckily, the dealer was having a "10% off" sale, so I got the whole lot for 26.5¢/round.  Yes, that's painfully expensive compared to The Good Ol' Days, but it beats not having it at all.  It's also less expensive than that Federal Power-Shok .223 Rem, which hasn't been all that reliable, at least in my rifles (see "Weak crimp on Federal Power-Shok 50 grain? Occasional problems." thread, this forum).

The mathematically inclined among you will have already figured that this supply works out to 31 x 30 rounds.  I have not yet built my magazine supply to that level, but I have 16 more 30-round mags coming in this week.  Get 'em while they're still legal, says I.

The stripper clips are a nice bonus, as they're reusable.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I have so much ammo that there is no room for my bed! Guns are worthless without ammo.
I can't even afford a camera since I buy so much ammo....

Mick
A27257
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:19:25 PM EDT
[#39]

My new stash of SHTF as you say

Is just 1 case of BLACK HILLS 75gr Blue box

So Im no SLUT

I never heard of a SLUT OWN UP?

I think I will now shoot up all my  STASH NOW
Q3131 89/99  1 can
Q3131A 01  1can
XM193 forgot the date but its the first batch 2 bandoliers
2 cans of Lake City M855 NON PD
400rds of Black hills 77gr
IMI M855 99 Brit bandolier full
Wolf M193 400rds
S&B SS109 1 bandolier VERY HOT and Very accurate  Might save
Santa Barbra SS109 just 1 7 pocket bandolier left
Most accurate M855/SS109 I have ever shot in my 41 years!! I MIGHT KEEP

I would say ANYTHING over 5000 is crazy
Unless you think the ammo will never Level Off
Or the Next Pres will outlaw the M193/SS109/M855 Ammo to us civi`s
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't have much, but what I do have is really BIG.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2006 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Would 21k of 22 long rifle ammo count me as a whore?
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm guilty of being an ammo whore.  I cann't get enough.  The bigger the pile the more I buy.  I need help...
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By GlocksareGood:
First we must define what an "ammo whore" is.   I put forth this definition.  

Ammo Whore - A person that has a supply of ammo on hand, that if they continued to shoot at a level of at least 50% of normal, would not run out of ammo for the next 15+ years.    

I think this works better.   I mean, if a person only shoots his one Ar15 say five times a year and fires a total of 1000 rounds, but has 10k of XM-193 on hand, that guy is an ammo whore.  

If the same person now shoots his M16 10 times a year and burns 5k of XM-193 and has 10k on hand he is not an ammo whore.  

The definition also takes into account the fact that if we could not get ammo any more for whatever reason we would all cut back to save what we have.  

So what do you guys think?   Maybe we can come together here and come up with the ARFCOM 1st theorem of ammo whoring.

What, you actually SHOOT your ammo??????

heritic
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By BigRedDog:

Originally Posted By GlocksareGood:
First we must define what an "ammo whore" is.   I put forth this definition.  

Ammo Whore - A person that has a supply of ammo on hand, that if they continued to shoot at a level of at least 50% of normal, would not run out of ammo for the next 15+ years.    

I think this works better.   I mean, if a person only shoots his one Ar15 say five times a year and fires a total of 1000 rounds, but has 10k of XM-193 on hand, that guy is an ammo whore.  

If the same person now shoots his M16 10 times a year and burns 5k of XM-193 and has 10k on hand he is not an ammo whore.  

The definition also takes into account the fact that if we could not get ammo any more for whatever reason we would all cut back to save what we have.  

So what do you guys think?   Maybe we can come together here and come up with the ARFCOM 1st theorem of ammo whoring.

What, you actually SHOOT your ammo??????

heritic

I buy 10-20 times more than I shoot if that helps any!
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm not yet but I'm working on it!
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By osprey21:

Hey that looks like it would make great plinking ammo for my varmint gun...

Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:39:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: P229SAS] [#47]

Originally Posted By gus:

i11.tinypic.com/4do6h6v.jpg

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=26723

That there would make Godzilla cry for mommy
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By gus:

i11.tinypic.com/4do6h6v.jpg

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=26723
I used to work in a magazine for one of those things...  Working INSIDE a magazine is an odd feeling.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By umc:

Where's the pics

Yeah, should have had plenty of time for those batteries and get something posted by now.

Got camera, [they were out of stock tuesday] took pics, downloaded program into computer. Now all I have to do is figure out how to post them to this site. Also took some pics of Garands, M1As, ARs, GI 1911A1s, and some Colts. Did not take pics of all my ammo but did take pics of a lot of it. [it'll be enough]
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By Scooter4736:
Would 21k of 22 long rifle ammo count me as a whore?

Simply put.

Not even close....
Page / 57
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top