Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/12/2006 4:39:31 PM EDT
I bought some Adcom 62gr steel core. This ammo needs to be checked piece by piece before shooting. Nearly 15% of the casings had cracks, large dents, bullets not seated properly etc. I know that guys like this stuff but honestly Wolf is more reliable in terms of QC. I was outright suprised this stuff was boxed, even some of the bullet tips were chunked off. The stuff however that didn't have obvious issues ran fine. However just one of those with a split casing gets past and your looking at ruining your rifle.

Creeper  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#1]
What was the YR/Lot# in question? I have had a total of 2500rds of adcom yr/lot# 00, 02,03, and 04 never had any major neck or case damage while putting them on strippers or shooting it. other than not order more when it was ava.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like XM855PD ammo.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I have NOT seen this at all in any of mine. The most I have seen so far is very small dents that are totally harmless.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked up 100 rds at a local gun show to try out and out of that I had one that I wouldn't shoot because of a bad dent in the neck.  1% is not bad and the rest shot perfect.  I would buy more if I could find it anywhere.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#5]

I bought some Adcom 62gr steel core. This ammo needs to be checked piece by piece before shooting. Nearly 15% of the casings had cracks, large dents, bullets not seated properly etc. I know that guys like this stuff but honestly Wolf is more reliable in terms of QC. I was outright suprised this stuff was boxed, even some of the bullet tips were chunked off. The stuff however that didn't have obvious issues ran fine. However just one of those with a split casing gets past and your looking at ruining your rifle.

Creeper

Your in the minority then... and instead of saying something sucks, you could add the lot number and year of manufacturing if your trying to help anyone...
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I had the same experience as creeper - just a lower percentage - probably around 5% had split necks, dinged, deformed brass, etc.  After looking through some of the XM855PD pictures, and reading people's experiences, I'd consider it to be more on par with PD stuff.  Mine was from 99

Mike

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I have no first hand knowledge of the Adcom m855 mfg 99'.  From previous reports about 95% of the Adcom problems where from 1999. Who knew? I believe that was the first year this ammo was produced and also 1999 was a terrible mfg date for the majority of the brass out there. Say no to 1999 few exceptions.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#8]
moot point anyway. AIM is now out of stock. glad i picked up 3000 rounds about 2 days before they sold out. i bought 500 rounds of lot 1999 headstamp a month ago and shot most of it, that is why i bought more.

it was very acceptable for accuracy at 100yrds though my 1in7 white oak barrel, more so than xm193 55gr. i had no quality related issues in over 300 rounds either. i spot checked primers for over presure signs and found none.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:48:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Mr_h, you are why I was only able to renew my stock to just 500rds and not the 1k more I wanted. I ordered the Wednesday Morning just before it was taken off the website. 500rds is better than nothing I have a total just under 3k.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Mr_h, you are why I was only able to renew my stock to just 500rds and not the 1k more I wanted. I ordered the Wednesday Morning just before it was taken off the website. 500rds is better than nothing I have a total just under 3k.

sorry about that but i think they still have plenty of guat surplus. i think i'll be trying some of that out next.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:36:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Not my experience at all. Inspected 3k and had 2 bad rds, one dented at the shoulder and one bad neck where the bullet was crimped. 02 headstamp.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:58:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I have shot over 1000 rounds of the ADCOM and I have one round that had an FTF issue.  1 round out of a 1000 is pretty darn good in my book.  I don't know what lot number of year I have, but if AIM ever gets any more, I will be sure to buy some.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:19:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Just keep in mind-

If it surplused, there is probably a reason why
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I have 6 K of it and I do not regret buying it in the least.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top