Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/28/2006 5:43:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2006 5:44:55 AM EDT by Mars511]
The Question is: Why with the BILLIONS upon BILLIONS of rounds of 5.56 ammunition produced since 1980, has there NEVER been a GLUT of surplus available?

I am not the only one who would like the answer to this mystery !
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:23:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2006 9:42:26 AM EDT by alaman]
U.S. can't sell surplus to civilians per Klinton executive order which Jorge has not repealed. That source is dead.

U.N. ban on ammo has many countries no longer selling theirs, like South Africa
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:34:01 AM EDT
Ha, the UN
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:06:48 AM EDT
UN =
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:10:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By alaman:
U.S. can't sell surplus to civilians per Klinton executive order which Jorge has not repealed. That source is dead.

U.N. ban on ammo has many countries no longer selling theirs, like South Africa

Has anybody actually ASKED W to repeal the order?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:14:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2006 10:19:01 AM EDT by ar_mcadams]
He probably dosent want to give all the libs another thing to give him hell about. Sure would be nice if he did. I still think we are lucky the 1994 ban expired.

actually I wonder what would happen if everyone on ar15.com wrote a letter to him asking him to do away with the order? There is a lot of us. Its worth a try. It would help ar15 shooters and ak shooters.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:16:41 AM EDT
There is a war going on too...
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:23:12 AM EDT
yeah but they arnt using surplus are they? Dosent all that have to be either taken apart and sold in pieces or destroyed?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:25:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DigDug:

And at upwards of 40K rounds fired / per kill or whatever the current un-godly figure is nowdays it takes a bunch of fodder to keep our trigger pullers going full tilt.........

Mike
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:46:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mr_wilson:

Originally Posted By DigDug:

And at upwards of 40K rounds fired / per kill or whatever the current un-godly figure is nowdays it takes a bunch of fodder to keep our trigger pullers going full tilt.........

Mike

Note that this figure does include training for said trigger puller.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:48:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:51:54 PM EDT
yea, we just got 15k rnds for 50 people to fire the KD course..... If only I could pick up brass for myself, and not just the USMC. I would haul all of that home.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:46:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ar_mcadams:
He probably dosent want to give all the libs another thing to give him hell about.

Why would he care? He's not up for re-election. And what is he afraid of? That his approval rating will drop from 36% to 34%?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:58:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dbrowne1:

Originally Posted By ar_mcadams:
He probably dosent want to give all the libs another thing to give him hell about.

Why would he care? He's not up for re-election. And what is he afraid of? That his approval rating will drop from 36% to 34%?

People need to realize that the gun rights movement is an embarrasment to the politicians.
We are the retardted relative they keep locked away.
They'd prefer to forget we even exist.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:59:58 PM EDT
Interesting but depressing reading is out there about executive Orders.

Critics have been calling for President Bush to overturn the flurry of executive orders signed by President Clinton. Doing so will be more difficult than most people realize. Consider the difficulties that President Reagan faced in overturning many of President Carter's executive orders.

President Reagan came into office and put an immediate freeze on Jimmy Carter's midnight regulations. But when it came time to begin to reverse these orders, President Reagan found himself thwarted by federal courts that ruled that existing regulations could not be arbitrarily ignored or revoked. Instead, they required that new regulations be crafted to reverse old ones. And this process is a lengthy one which requires advance notice and public comment.

President Bush will face many of these same obstacles. Like President Reagan, he put a freeze on Bill Clinton's last-minute executive orders. Over the next few months and years, his administration will face the daunting task of rewriting and revising these executive orders according to the dictates of federal court rulings.

By working at each area in a piecemeal fashion, President Bush will probably achieve a level of success. This will be a time-consuming process, but can be successful as long as his administration applies continuous pressure on the process.

President Bush will also be able to achieve greater success by signing his own executive orders that will move his agenda forward. Many of President Clinton's executive orders which are not tied to administrative regulations can be undone by the stroke of President Bush's pen. By following this process of revision and initiation, President Bush will begin to roll back some of the agenda of President Bill Clinton.

Seems that it's harder to undo than we'd like.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:17:51 PM EDT
Arsenal can not keep up with demand now. The U.S. Governement is purchasing 4 billion rounds from mostly overseas surpliers across the next 4 years. Actually congress passed a law not allowing ATK to sell ammo while there is shortage in the Military. Now that the U.S. is buying from IMI, SNC and Winchester shortages will get worse in 5.56, 7.62 and .50 caliber.

Art
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:02:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2006 4:02:50 PM EDT by WMHM4]
We honestly need to find out why this bs ban is still in exsistence. If it is an executive order which I'm pretty sure that's all it was than GW should have no problem un doing it. I'm going to write my PA senator Santorum and see what he has to say about it. We all need to do the same, if we can complain about it here we sure as hell can email our senators/reps
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:17:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mars511:
The Question is: Why with the BILLIONS upon BILLIONS of rounds of 5.56 ammunition produced since 1980, has there NEVER been a GLUT of surplus available?

I am not the only one who would like the answer to this mystery !

Some destoyed/Some componentized.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:00:08 PM EDT
Do you REALLY think that the government as a whole is interested in having an armed populace w/ easier (monetarily speaking)access to ammunition for said arms?

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:12:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:28:56 PM EDT
How do they decide when ammo is no good for service anymore? Also why don't the domestic ammo producers BUILD MORE FACTORIES instead of letting the contracts go overseas? I'm speculating that there is some ban against new ammo factories.
Top Top