Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/26/2006 2:46:58 PM EDT
...to cull out any Federal brass.

I was reading the assorted "Kaboom" threads yesterday and decided that case of MCC reloads I bought last fall needed a looking at. I am left handed and shooting an AR-15 puts my face real close to the ejection port side of the upper. Looking at the photos of the bulged uppers got me thinking hard about how much I do not want that to happen to me.

So...I was reading someone's post and he was theorizing that the federal brass and the S&B brass might want to be avoided. The Winchester brass was probably to be trusted. Sounded logical to me.

So I had this open case all loaded into mags and onto stripper clips.

Turned it into a big pile of loose ammo and started sorting.

I put all the Lake City, WWB, WWB .223, And TZZ cartridges in one pile. I put all the FC and twenty or so rounds of oddball headstamps into another pile.

463 rounds that I kept.
316 rounds that I boxed up.
The rest was shot up last fall.

Took the "undesireable" rounds out to my brother-in-law so he could use it up in a bolt action.

Think I am safe to assume we both will be safe enough shooting the rest of this ammo the way I split it up?

I will not be buying any more of this ammo.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:27:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2006 3:31:27 PM EDT by FALARAK]
While I am NO fan of MCC given their current position on the recent kaboom - but in their defense, they didn't have a big history of kabooms beforehand.

I would inspect the rounds you have, and ensure the bullets have enough tension/crimp on them to ensure there is no potential for setback.

Then fire away. 1 Kaboom doesn't mean all their ammo is crap. Just means their owners are crap for not doing the right thing.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:47:21 PM EDT
Thanks. I probably over-reacted.

My brother-in-law isn't complaining.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:49:35 PM EDT
Years back I bought 1.200 357 SWCHP's from MCC...they sucked.

Powder charges were all over the map...as was accuracy.

3 Pistols were used: 6"Python S&W 27 8 3/8 and a S&W 66 3"

Lead was listed as "hard casted" but each barrel showed signs of excessive leading.

YMMV,
Pete
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:00:30 PM EDT

Took the "undesireable" rounds out to my brother-in-law so he could use it up in a bolt action.

Wow. Lucky bro-in-law. Did you turn him onto the "Kaboom" thread so he can decide if he wants to shoot those rounds or not? Semi-auto or bolt action. A gun is a gun, they all go "boom" or can go "kaboom". Not flaming you. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:05:04 PM EDT
Yes, I told him in great detail just what the deal was. I even threw a note in the ammo can describing what the ammo was, and a warning.

He said he was happy to take it.
Top Top