Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/25/2006 5:50:12 AM EDT
So with the price of M855 so high, the poor quality of the PD bulk ammo and Adcom questionable, then I guess the only resonable priced (62-63 grain) SHTF ammo solution is Radway Green ammo?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:36:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By crazeeman13:
So with the price of M855 so high, the poor quality of the PD bulk ammo and Adcom questionable, then I guess the only resonable priced (62-63 grain) SHTF ammo solution is Radway Green ammo?

This is decent stuff, I shot some last weekend. First round failed to extract, rest of the 30 went bang no problem.

I dont know if you want it for your "SHTF" stash though. IMO one failure is too much if you want it for that purpose. But get some and try in your gun, if it works fine then use it for your "SHTF".
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:28:07 AM EDT
Try some first, the stick powder loading can cause some problems in AR's.

However, if your testing goes well, it is every bit as good for SHTF as your M855.

Especially if you can still get the sealed cans, which are only in the USA because of them being 'military' life-ex over here in the UK. Plenty of shelf life left in reality!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:40:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jaymeister99:

This is decent stuff, I shot some last weekend. First round failed to extract, rest of the 30 went bang no problem.

I dont know if you want it for your "SHTF" stash though. IMO one failure is too much if you want it for that purpose. But get some and try in your gun, if it works fine then use it for your "SHTF".

If you think you will have zero failures with ANY ammo in a SHTF situation you will be rudely awakened.
There isn't a brand of ammo on the market that doesn't have a failure to "whatever" at some point in time. Radway is first quality military ammo that has been surplused, it's not seconds or floor sweeps or anything else subpar. I just inspected and repacked eight cases of it and not a single dent or other imperfection in the entire lot.

Paying a high price for ammo does not automatically mean that there will be no failures. A failure could be rifle related for a number of reasons not strictly attributed to the ammo being used. I've had some kind of failure to -------- with every brand and caliber of ammo I've ever used at some point in time or another. They are not a chronic thing but they do happen every once in a while.

I'd put away Radway for SHTF and feel very secure with it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:44:09 AM EDT
+1
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:41:26 AM EDT
Radway is some good stuff, I have 4 can in strippers and bandos that work just fine and I would have no problem using it as SHTF ammo if I had to. Stuff is perfect as far as manufacture wise. Not seconds, thirds, or floor sweepings. First line stuff.

Any of the later stuff seems to work fine in my Carbines. No problems and the bandos and strippers are first rate quality stuff.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:10:37 PM EDT
I have 2 cans on strippers and bandoliers with a 92 headstamp. I have fired it in 4 different guns and never had even one problem after 400 rounds. I decided to keep the rest for "just in case".
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:14:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/25/2006 12:15:44 PM EDT by jaymeister99]

Originally Posted By tommygun2000:

If you think you will have zero failures with ANY ammo in a SHTF situation you will be rudely awakened.
There isn't a brand of ammo on the market that doesn't have a failure to "whatever" at some point in time. Radway is first quality military ammo that has been surplused, it's not seconds or floor sweeps or anything else subpar. I just inspected and repacked eight cases of it and not a single dent or other imperfection in the entire lot.

Paying a high price for ammo does not automatically mean that there will be no failures. A failure could be rifle related for a number of reasons not strictly attributed to the ammo being used. I've had some kind of failure to -------- with every brand and caliber of ammo I've ever used at some point in time or another. They are not a chronic thing but they do happen every once in a while.

I dont think there is any ammo that will have zero failures. Let me change that to "IMO 1 failure out of 30 shots is too much for me for that purpose in my rifle. Is that better?

My rifle is strange about what works well and what doesnt. Take a look at Wolf. The new Polymer stuff, works like a charm, not one problem EVER. Guatemalan-fine for 30 shots, then fails to extract, same with PMC. PMP, UMC, S&B, wont work, wont extract. Federal AE works great, not one jam ever. Q3131 wont work. But good M193 and all M855 Iv tried has worked flawlessly, not one jam up ever. Ive got a new extractor spring and hoping this will change some of these problems tomorrow.

NO dont expect zero failures, BUT do expect to use the ammo that functions BEST in your rifle if you are going to use it to defend yourself. IMO one failure is too much, when I have many choices that have had ZERO failures.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:26:19 PM EDT

I dont think there is any ammo that will have zero failures. Let me change that to "IMO 1 failure out of 30 shots is too much for me for that purpose in my rifle. Is that better?

My rifle is strange about what works well and what doesnt. Take a look at Wolf. The new Polymer stuff, works like a charm, not one problem EVER. Guatemalan-fine for 30 shots, then fails to extract, same with PMC. PMP, UMC, S&B, wont work, wont extract. Federal AE works great, not one jam ever. Q3131 wont work. But good M193 and all M855 Iv tried has worked flawlessly, not one jam up ever. Ive got a new extractor spring and hoping this will change some of these problems tomorrow.

NO dont expect zero failures, BUT do expect to use the ammo that functions BEST in your rifle if you are going to use it to defend yourself. IMO one failure is too much, when I have many choices that have had ZERO failures.

There has to be something a bit off with your extractor or spring. You said you replaced it, and are trying it out tomorrow, are you going to try some of the brands that did not work before?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:32:13 PM EDT
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:10:31 PM EDT

Sounds to me like you are not cleaning the leftover wolf goo out of your chamber.

Do this and brass ammo will again function correctly.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:46:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ineedhelp:

Sounds to me like you are not cleaning the leftover wolf goo out of your chamber.

Do this and brass ammo will again function correctly.

No it is not from leftover Wolf goo, I am using Polymer coated, the old lacquer stuff worked like crap, the newer Polymer stuff doesnt have the "goo". I havent used the old stuff in over 4 years, and that was only 3 boxes. I clean out the whole rifle everytime I shoot it.

Its likely an extractor problem, old extractor spring was very weak. I'll be trying some Q3131, Guatemalan, and UMC tomorrow. All this stuff had problems functioning before.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:32:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2006 3:22:21 PM EDT by jaymeister99]

There has to be something a bit off with your extractor or spring. You said you replaced it, and are trying it out tomorrow, are you going to try some of the brands that did not work before?

I tried my rifle today, worked flawless with all the ammo I had probs with before. Guatemalan, Q3131, UMC, and OLD lacquer Wolf. All worked 100%, not a single jam.

Then I tried shooting some old Reloads I had bought a few years ago. A damm round is jammed into the chamber. Sticks out about 1/4 inch out of the chamber. Stuck a cleaning rod in to tap it out, didnt move. But out came gun powder! After some further examination seems like the bullet is back inside the case! The round has not fired, the primer is still live. This wasnt an extraction failure, but damm it pisses me off!

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:51:44 PM EDT

I tried my rifle today, worked flawless with all the ammo I had probs with before. Guatemalan, Q3131, UMC, and OLD Wolf. All worked 100%, not a single jam.

Then I tried shooting some old Reloads I had bought a few years ago. A damm round is jammed into the chamber. Sticks out about 1/4 inch out of the chamber. Stuck a cleaning rod in to tap it out, didnt move. But out came gun powder! After some further examination seems like the bullet is back inside the case! The round has not fired, the primer is still live. This wasnt an extraction failure, but damm it pisses me off!

You might think about guaging all your reloads in a case guage. Yes its a tedious job but it prevents things like this on the range.

I do it with every round I reload and catch a few here and there that have a deformed case or a dent that was missed during inspection and loading.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:21:07 PM EDT
I didnt reload this, this was stuff I bought at the range. Im not buying reloads EVER again.
Top Top