Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 7:49:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/24/2006 7:51:36 PM EDT by WildBoar]
Just wondering.

I have not bought ammo since 1998. I worked ata large range and hop for 6 years and came across so much free ammo it was insane. I have been using it up ever since.

Well I am down to my last 60 rounds of 5.56 ammo and thought i should get more. I thought about doing it online but I considered my local shop. Great folks who always treated me well and I always returned the favor. I fully believe in supporting your local shop all the way, even if that means I have to spend a little more. I worked in the biz and understand the need to make a decent profit. It aint a charity.

Anyway. I was asking about some surplus and getting a 500rnd or 1000 rnd case. They didnt have any mil surpluss because most people order it online and it isnt worth stocking. They did have some Win Q3131 on hand though. Now I have no idea what this stuff would go for online including shipping. I figured If I can grab it right there and then without the hassle of waiting for a delivery and stuff, I would grab it.

$125 for 500rnds. ie $5.00 a box. I dont know what it goes for online and such + shipping and the (for me ) hassle of waiting for a delivery. I was happy with it and went for it. I personally feel it was a good deal because they always treat me well and have steered me away from bad deals. They even made me wait on a purchase of a "preban" until the AWB sunset. Well they didnt make me, they told me to wait and get one much cheaper ina few weeks. They are very nice folks.

Anyway. Considering I can pop in anytime I want and grab the stuff at my convenience, I felt it was more than reasonable. What think ye? Q3131 $5.00, no shipping, no waiting, have a staff to call me when things of interest come in and all the benefits of having a good relationship with a local dealer. Worth it or would you stay with an online order? How much more did I spend? I understand its probably more, but the perks that go with it seemed worth it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:05:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/24/2006 8:09:02 PM EDT by jaymeister99]
Not a bad price, not great either. I would say you made out ok. You could have got it for about another $15-20 or so cheaper online. Next time check the ammo price list first:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=222888
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:14:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jaymeister99:
Not a bad price, not great either. I would say you made out ok. You could have got it for about another $15-20 or so cheaper online. Next time check the ammo price list first:

Thanks for the info. (saving the link for future info) I was just wondering. Like I said I expected to pay more that I would have online but for me online ordering is a PITA. Well not the ordering, the whole waiting for delivery or going to pick it up from UPS. I figured I would probably spend an extra $20 just for the conveniece.

So you are saying I didnt get raped? NOt great but not bad? I feel better about the purchase then. Like I said a little extra more if ok with me because I like the shop and they take care of me.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:51:59 PM EDT
Supporting the local guy is always best as long as you don't get raped, you done good.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:07:15 PM EDT
Q3131 WWB 5.56mm is $6.00 a box of 20 at my local fun store.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:20:23 PM EDT
How is ordering online a PITA? A couple of clicks on the keyboard and in a few days UPS drops the ammo off at your door .
I used to feel like you about supporting local dealers till I needed a FFL to do a transfer. One dealer that I had purchased four weapons and other goods worth $3500.00 within a few months wanted $125 for the transfer. Another dealer I had done a lot business with wanted 10% of the purchase price and $75.00 + 7% sales tax. This was about the price range of every dealer I called or visited. Finally someone at the range gave me the # of a FFL that is a gunsmith. I called the FFL, a stranger may I add, and he was very polite and professional and charged me $20. My loyalty toward my local gun shops went out the window.
With the internet and free long distance on cell phones it's much easier and cheaper to order online. The selection is also unlimited. Earlier this year I needed many parts and accessories and had a few questions about their applications. I had done business with DSG ARMS in the past and gave them a call. They gave me all the advise I needed and were very knowledgeable and courteous and didn't rush me off the phone. After many questions I placed the order and in three days it was at my house. Everything had been in stock and was priced right. They spent more time answering my questions than my local gun shops would have and their answers were all correct.
This is not a plug for one company. I have had good, fair dealings with all but one of the online dealers I have done business with. My only other than perfect transaction was just a personality conflict.
If I need to have my firearms repaired or modified and I cannot do it myself I take it to the FFL, gunsmith, that charged me $20. for the transfer. He does great work. Have a great weekend.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:52:57 AM EDT

By no means were you raped. That's really a decent price for a gun shop.

One local shop around here- NC- had it for $5.49 a while back.

You can buy it for cheaper online- but given you wanted to support your local shop and avoid the on-line experience- I think you did A-OK.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:03:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WildBoar:

Originally Posted By jaymeister99:

Thanks for the info. (saving the link for future info) I was just wondering. Like I said I expected to pay more that I would have online but for me online ordering is a PITA. Well not the ordering, the whole waiting for delivery or going to pick it up from UPS. I figured I would probably spend an extra $20 just for the conveniece.

So you are saying I didnt get raped? NOt great but not bad? I feel better about the purchase then. Like I said a little extra more if ok with me because I like the shop and they take care of me.

Actually now that I think about it, IMO you did pretty good. If you were only interested in saving the buck, you would have lost out (obviously). But to pay a little more and have it now without the wait or worry is worth it. Heck, if I could find that ammo at that price around here I would get some too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:23:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/25/2006 6:24:39 AM EDT by WildBoar]

Originally Posted By BSTOCK:
few days UPS drops the ammo off at your door .

For me that is the pita part. I am lazy

ETA, thanks for the info guys. I saved the link earlier in case I need some stuff they cant get.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:57:35 AM EDT
i can find Q3131 for 4.99 a box - last time in Albemarle - can't remember the store name but its the one right in town there.

i recently picked up 1000 rnds of XM855 locally for $203.29 after tax. its not the PD stuff - i guess second tier but its pretty consistent - mostly cosmetic blemishes and some very slight variance in seating depth - some showing more cannalure than others.

i don't think you made out bad on it. its good ammo and reloadable if you ever decided to reload it.

i can find the XM855 online but its always about the same as what i paid for it here.

rather pay a little more locally if the store is a decent one and have him restock some for my future purchasing!
Top Top