Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/21/2006 8:20:49 AM EDT
Let me stress first of all how impressed I was with Bill at Wolf Performance Ammunition. What impressed me was the sincere desire that the Wolf people have at NOT just expanding their product line,  but their Commitment to product Improvement. Bill informed me that they periodically view and read the posts on forums such as AR.15.com,  etc.  While he admitted they lack the time and resources to reply to specific posts and issues,  they do take the information and feedback along with any from direct contacts and use it in their product improvement efforts.

He informed me that they have an exclusive arrangement with Privi Partisan as THE source for the production of their GOLD line of ammmunition because of the Calibres Privi has to offer beyond those previously available from Wolf. He could not say if the other brands available from Privi Partisan would continue or not.

Bill stressed that Wolf wants customer feed back NOT only on the calibres the market wants but any  problems which are encountered as well. He assured me that Wolf is not interested in "sitting on their Laurels" but is intent upon continued Product Improvement.

I informed him that Wolf has a considerable Loyal following and of the many comments of praise over the addition of the calibres in their GOLD line. I also told him of the great interest in wolf pursuing Brass Cased Military 308 ammunition at affordable prices for the plinking market.

We discussed some of the problems with the Steel cased 223 ammo and he assured me that Wolf is making efforts to resolve those issues. Some of their efforts are already in the US market.

I would like to say that ANYONE who experiences ANY problem with Wolf ammunition is CHEATING themselves if they do NOT CALL Wolf about it. Bill stated, without ANY prompting from this writer, that Wolf is totally commited to correcting ANY problem brought to their attention.

That my friends that is as good as it gets!

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:36:01 AM EDT
[#1]
They apparently modified the powder charge for extra velocity with their steel cased 223 loads based on feedback from shooters.
They are also considering production of 5.7x28 ammo to help meet the demand on the market.

IMHO Wolf is on the top of their game with different calibers and I hope to see them continue progressing and adding different calibers to their lineups. I let everyone at work know about Wolf and suggest the Wolf Gold line for their C&R calibers.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#2]
they can manufacture cheaper than we can, and they know where the market is.

They do a decent job.

TXL
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I had all kinds of problems with FTE with the old laquer 223 stuff.  I called and sent back the unused portion I had and they refunded my money.  To be honest I was very surprised at how easy the whole transaction was.  While I was disappointed in the performance, it was happy enough with the customer service to try the poly coated stuff when it came out and it's worked great for me so far.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I have hardly any Wolf ammo but am 100% impressed with their commitment to improving.

If the price is decent on their 75gr .223 Gold ammo they will be getting a lot of my business.

Edit... has anyone considered asking them if they'd consider a .308 load with a thin-jacket cannellured bullet, like the German DAG (I think it was DAG) ammo? ... I'd buy probably 10k of that stuff...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have hardly any Wolf ammo but am 100% impressed with their commitment to improving.

If the price is decent on their 75gr .223 Gold ammo they will be getting a lot of my business.

Edit... has anyone considered asking them if they'd consider a .308 load with a thin-jacket cannellured bullet, like the German DAG (I think it was DAG) ammo? ... I'd buy probably 10k of that stuff...

Ask them yourself:

Wolf Email

Praise them on their efforts in meeting the needs of firearm enthusiasts and suggest your caliber/load.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask them yourself:

Wolf Email

Praise them on their efforts in meeting the needs of firearm enthusiasts and suggest your caliber/load.

Perhaps tonight. I would of course want "Macman37" on the headstamp.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I WISH wolf would work in my rifle. One in every 150-200 rounds will get stuck in the chamber, the extractor will not take it out. I have to ram it out with a cleaning rod.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Am I really the only one that thinks any Wolf ammo just plain shoots dirty and fowls a rifle in quick fashion as well as making the shooter a dirty mess as well???
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Am I really the only one that thinks any Wolf ammo just plain shoots dirty and fowls a rifle in quick fashion as well as making the shooter a dirty mess as well???

Nope! Regular Wolf is dirty and reeks of cat urine.

The Gold line though, is made by Prvi Partisan ... Which is the only stuff I'd consider buying.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#11]
At 10 cents a round delivered, Wolf could smell like dead cats soaking in rotten cabbage and I would still buy it.  It goes bang everytime, functions 100% in my rifle, and for me has been as accurate as WWB.  I only wish they would load it slightly higher so that it would function in all AR's.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:31:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

To me it isnt any more dirty than WWB. Ive fired wolf through every firearm i own with the exception of my .22's and not once in a 500 round session did my weapon come out looking any different between 500 rounds of wolf, 500 rounds of WWB or 500 rounds of CCI Blazer.
to me it doesnt smell that bad and i ahvent had a problem with it making me a mess...i guess im a lucky one?

Quoted:
At 10 cents a round delivered, Wolf could smell like dead cats soaking in rotten cabbage and I would still buy it.  It goes bang everytime, functions 100% in my rifle, and for me has been as accurate as WWB.  I only wish they would load it slightly higher so that it would function in all AR's.  

no shit it allows me to get more trigger time with all my weapons. And well we all the old saying "Practice makes perfect"
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#13]
My only regret is that Wolf is trying to move up in the world. My AR (and every AR I've seen) ate the old laquered ammo 100%. Now they put on the Polykote, people think it's better, and prices have gone up. I just hope someone'll fill the $100/1k gap that Wolf's leaving now.

College students need to shoot, too!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My only regret is that Wolf is trying to move up in the world. My AR (and every AR I've seen) ate the old laquered ammo 100%. Now they put on the Polykote, people think it's better, and prices have gone up. I just hope someone'll fill the $100/1k gap that Wolf's leaving now.

+1

Wolf Gold is going to end the existence of cheap plinking ammo. I guess they got tired of the people bitching about using steel cases (which is one reason why they can make the steel stuff so darn cheap).
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#15]
So did you mention they really should read every post in the 20 page thread on their M193 ammo?  Plenty of things they need to take a second look at.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#16]
This weekend I saw almost a thousand rounds of steel cased Wolf go through an MSTN LMT 10.5.

No problems.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Ditto that. I am under the impression that most who knock Wolf only go by what they heard or from rumors. Probably not actual users. I have to say, that up until about 6months ago all I used was wolf. The old laquered stuff too. Probably close to 6-7 thousand rounds. The only problem ever encountered was when a round got caught(jammed) between the bolt and the upper receiver. Bitch to get out, but I have also seen that with LC when I was in the Army. I would also like to add that wolf is also accurate. Just as accuracte as the Guatlamala, q3131 that I shot this weekend at a fraction of the cost.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Wolf Gold is going to end the existence of cheap plinking ammo. I guess they got tired of the people bitching about using steel cases (which is one reason why they can make the steel stuff so darn cheap).

This is my biggest problem with Wolf ammo. Over 6k rounds of the old stuff with no problems. Just received 3k rounds of the NEW poly coat steel today, hope it works just as well. But I was happy with the old ammo and the old price! The ammo I have was from 2003 and I paid $99. per thousand.

I must admit I'm getting a little tired of the AR "experts" at the range telling me that I'm ruining my rifle with Wolf, when none of them have used it "but heard from someone else" One idiot last month told me to stop shooting, then picked up a shell and said you can't shoot this out of "American" guns. It will kill the barrel in 100 rounds. I told him how many rounds I've fired through my AR's and he said "Wow! you must clean your gun alot" and walked away. WTF?  

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
This weekend I saw almost a thousand rounds of steel cased Wolf go through an MSTN LMT 10.5.

OH THE HORROR!  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:04:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

This is my biggest problem with Wolf ammo. Over 6k rounds of the old stuff with no problems. Just received 3k rounds of the NEW poly coat steel today, hope it works just as well. But I was happy with the old ammo and the old price! The ammo I have was from 2003 and I paid $99. per thousand.

I must admit I'm getting a little tired of the AR "experts" at the range telling me that I'm ruining my rifle with Wolf, when none of them have used it "but heard from someone else" One idiot last month told me to stop shooting, then picked up a shell and said you can't shoot this out of "American" guns. It will kill the barrel in 100 rounds. I told him how many rounds I've fired through my AR's and he said "Wow! you must clean your gun alot" and walked away. WTF?  

EVERYONE at work says the same damn thing. "Well, more for me" is my general response.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:47:39 AM EDT
[#21]
When the .30 cal carbine came out it ran a little rough in my Winchester, the last batch I bought fired flawlessly. zero failures.

we already know that the 7.63x39 is good to go (when you can find it these days) and the .223 is good ammo.

It ain't sniper ammo for sure. but it works well for me since I am on a budget. If Wolf put a little more oomph into the .223 it would really be good.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:05:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I think that wolf is great for plinking.

If I had a magic wand to make them do what I wanted I'd have them:

A) keep the current steel cased .223 at 100 per 1k

B) work on perfecting their M193 at around 200 per 1k

C) leave shit alone after that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:11:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
We discussed some of the problems with the Steel cased 223 ammo and he assured me that Wolf is making efforts to resolve those issues. Some of their efforts are already in the US market.

What problems?  If your rifle can't handle steel cased ammo - then you need to get a better rifle.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:17:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Yeah don't mess with the steel wolf. It's great plinking ammo.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:41:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
So did you mention they really should read every post in the 20 page thread on their M193 ammo?  Plenty of things they need to take a second look at.

Dang!  I'm glad someone has their head in the game!!!

Yeah.  The dude needs to check out the M193 thread!!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:48:33 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I think that wolf is great for plinking.

If I had a magic wand to make them do what I wanted I'd have them:

A) keep the current steel cased .223 at 100 per 1k

B) work on perfecting their M193 at around 200 per 1k

C) leave shit alone after that.

forget using brass cased ammo. Just use steel.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:58:12 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I WISH wolf would work in my rifle. One in every 150-200 rounds will get stuck in the chamber, the extractor will not take it out. I have to ram it out with a cleaning rod.

Me, too!  WTF?  My bushy seems to only like brass.  Are we doing something wrong?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:06:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Good post,. thanks!

The importation of milspec M80 7.62mm NATO ball, brass-cased FMJ, annealed and sealed, would rock.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Good post,. thanks!

The importation of milspec M80 7.62mm NATO ball, brass-cased FMJ, annealed and sealed, would rock.

Not if it were as quirky as the M193.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:01:21 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Good post,. thanks!

Not if it were as quirky as the M193.

Ka BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me, too!  WTF?  My bushy seems to only like brass.  Are we doing something wrong?

I had a Bushmaster upper that also wouldn't function with Wolf.  Short cycling and the occasional stuck round in the chamber.  That same lot of ammo worked perfectly in my DPMS upper.  I suspect that the Bushy upper had a slightly misaligned gas port/FSB.  Higher pressure ammo still had enough umph to operate the bolt.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I suspect that the Bushy upper had a slightly misaligned gas port/FSB.  Higher pressure ammo still had enough umph to operate the bolt.

If that is the case - then get it fixed.

I've had 5 Bushy uppers - all of them could fire Wolf w/o any problems (and most of those were tested with the older laquered Wolf).
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I suspect that the Bushy upper had a slightly misaligned gas port/FSB.  Higher pressure ammo still had enough umph to operate the bolt.

If that is the case - then get it fixed.

I've had 5 Bushy uppers - all of them could fire Wolf w/o any problems (and most of those were tested with the older laquered Wolf).

I don't know if my FSB is misaligned but good thought.  One thing to be mentioned is that when I do get a FTExtract with the poly coated Wolf, the poly actually melts causing the case to fuze itself to the inside of the chamber.  When I do finally get the casing out, patches of the poly coating are missing from the case but are left "glued" to the chamber.  When this happens, the rim of the case where the extractor grabs it is usually damaged from the "failed attempt" of extraction.  This tells me it's an ammo problem but I could certainly be wrong.  

I'd love to here that this is simply an operator error/weapon malfuntion issue as I'd hate to miss out on shooting the less expensive Wolf.      
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dang!  I'm glad someone has their head in the game!!!

Yeah.  The dude needs to check out the M193 thread!!

+1

And what FOREST said!!

Wolf is just Fine in 223!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Thank you all for the informative replys.

Everyone who has had a problem with Wolf, call them to see what they will do for you. Also be prepared to tell them details as to what happened.

Here is their contact information page.

http://wolfammo.com/contact.htm
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#36]
heck at $100 for 1k i dont mind haveing to knock out a empty caseing every so often or haveing that extra mess to clean up. and i love the smell of wolf.  

ETA: i have only had 3 empty cases get stuck in the chamber out of about 4k.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
....When I do finally get the casing out, patches of the poly coating are missing from the case but are left "glued" to the chamber.  When this happens, the rim of the case where the extractor grabs it is usually damaged from the "failed attempt" of extraction.  This tells me it's an ammo problem but I could certainly be wrong.  

Sounds like a chamber problem.  It's too rough or possibly ringed.  I'd try polishing it, if that didn't work I'd send to back to Bushy for them to look at.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top