Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 2:23:26 AM EDT
Which grain will be the most accurate with a 16" , 1:9 twist , chrome lined barrel?

Which brand do you prefer?

I'm leaning towards a 62grain FMJ.

Thanks , Frank
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:46:43 AM EDT
[#1]
The Hornady 68gr BTHP should work pretty well in that setup, too.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:52:33 AM EDT
[#2]
It could be anything from a 45gr HP to a 75gr OTM.  You'll have to try several rounds out as all barrels are different in the way they "handle" certain ammo.  But 68gr probably isn't far off. Or are you asking about a SHTF round?

TS
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:22:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Mainly asking for an accurate target ammo.

But, I am also curious about what self defense or SHTF ammo you guys would prefer.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:45:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Mainly asking for an accurate target ammo.

But, I am also curious about what self defense or SHTF ammo you guys would prefer.

Thanks

The problem is your setup isn't going to get you bench rest type groups.  Blackhills probably makes the best target grade ammo in the biz so buy different types that they sell and see what groups well.  Every rifle is going to be different.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:54:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't expect it to be bench grade, It is a RRA Government model carbine. But I still want to wring all the accuracy I can get out of it, reviews have showed it can shoot 1 MOA(good enough for me)

Blackhills probably makes the best target grade ammo in the biz

Black hills in the red box(new manufacture), I suppose your talking about?  I've heard that before.
I will probably get the Black Hills.

So, next question is...... Where is the cheapest place online to buy Black Hills ammo?

Thanks, Frank
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:01:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't expect it to be bench grade, It is a RRA Government model carbine. But I still want to wring all the accuracy I can get out of it, reviews have showed it can shoot 1 MOA(good enough for me)

Blackhills probably makes the best target grade ammo in the biz

Black hills in the red box(new manufacture), I suppose your talking about?  I've heard that before.
I will probably get the Black Hills.

So, next question is...... Where is the cheapest place online to buy Black Hills ammo?

Thanks, Frank

With ammo the way it is these days prices and availability are always changing.  Try MidwayUSA, Sportsmans guide, Cabelas, Basspro shops, and Natchez.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:18:27 AM EDT
[#7]
One last thing, if you really want to get the full accuracy potential out of your rifle.  You should think about free-floating the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Well I bouoght some ammo...

500 rounds Winchester 62gr. M855 military ammo(new in box) $142.50
20  rounds  Hornady 60gr. TAP PFD  ---------------------------$14.00

How did I do price wise????

Frank
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:15:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well I bouoght some ammo...

500 rounds Winchester 62gr. M855 military ammo(new in box) $142.50
20  rounds  Hornady 60gr. TAP PFD  ---------------------------$14.00

How did I do price wise????

Frank

Not bad on the WInchester, however you are going to only get about 2-4 MOA withit.  The M855 is a combat round, not a match round.  The Hornady 60gr TAP will probably give you close the the accuracy you are looking for but also keep in mind it is a self-defense round also not a good match round.  Typically hunting/selfdefense/target/mil-surp all have different terminal performance and accuracy potential.  You may find with your 1:9 that the cheap ole Walmart 45gr varmint load will group well and you can save money on something else if you are just shooting for groups.

The M855 is good ammo.  Shoot 60 rounds to make sure it works in your rifle then stock it away for a rainy day.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:59:42 AM EDT
[#11]
The only ammo I can find in my Walmart is shotgun ammo.

Heard many bad stories about bulk ammo and wolf, I want to stay away from that.

What would be a reliable varminter(match) cartridge thats cheap and will deliver 1 or 1.5 MOA?

By the way.......Still have atleast another 2 weeks before my rifle comes in. Just trying to load up.
I've already bought 6 magazines( 2 are HK)

Frank
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The only ammo I can find in my Walmart is shotgun ammo.

Heard many bad stories about bulk ammo and wolf, I want to stay away from that.

What would be a reliable varminter(match) cartridge thats cheap and will deliver 1 or 1.5 MOA?

By the way.......Still have atleast another 2 weeks before my rifle comes in. Just trying to load up.
I've already bought 6 magazines( 2 are HK)

Frank

There has to be a Walmart that will cary this, if not just do a google search and find a store that sells it (as I posted before try: MidwayUSA, Sportsmans guide, Cabelas, Basspro shops, and Natchez).

PS Wolf isn't going to hurt your rifle.  Great plinking ammo
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:15:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a shorty A1 bushmaster 14.7ish hbar 1/9 it likes it all?

It can handle the Black Hills 77gr @ 200 plus yards thinking 220yards @ Berm

I sold my A1 bushy 20hbar but it shot about the same as the shorty!

FEDERAL 69BTHP is always a good bet!

I wish I could of tried 68gr Black Hills!

Also what is VERY STRANGE the SANTA BRABRA SS109 shoots almost as good as the 69grBTHP in my 1/9 Bushmasters! Very accurate.

Plus over 700rds without SOFT BRASS/Torn Heads

I ODER FROM MIDWAY FOR GOOD SERVICE
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top