Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/18/2006 4:22:45 PM EDT
I was looking to get some hunting .223 hunting ammo but the only bullet that I know that mushrooms out is the Winchester 64 Grain Power Point.  Is there any other one out that mushrooms out.  I am looking for a heavy bullet and something that is accurate.  60 Grain or higher.  I checked online and seen that Barnes makes a 70 Grain bullet, but I don't know anyone that makes .223 ammo with that bullet.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you plan on hunting?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Small/Medium game such as small deer.  My friend has a huge property that he has been offering to take me shooting so I want to try it out.  If I like it, maybe I'll get a .308.  But I just want to try it first.  I don't even know if the .223 is big enough for hunting.  All I shoot is the 5.56 75 Gr TAP and I don't want to shoot deer with that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:54:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Sierra makes a 65 gr soft point.  I have been busy blasting enemy pop cans with Wolf ammo so no test data on reloads yet.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you.  You wouldn't know how accurate the 65 GR is.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I just picked up a few boxes of Federal Premium Vital Shok with the 55gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet. People say its the best ammo for hunting deer. Its rather expensive but Midway has it on sale for $11.99 a box, if they have any left. I also handload and the bullets alone sell for $30.00/50.

Stang
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#6]
That's expensive.  I buy some of my ammo from HSM (Hunting Shack).  They sell the 55 Gr Speer "Bear Claw" Bonded for $47.00 for a box of 50.  They also sell a 64 Gr PSP for $15.35 for 50 rounds but I don't know what kind of bullet it is.  I called and the guy isn't there until Tuesday.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I only know of one 64gr .223 bullet and that's the one you mentioned above, the Winchester Power Point.  $33 for 50 .223 bullets?  You can get 75gr Hornady for like $30/100 at Gander Mountain and I know they can't have the cheapest price...

TS
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm probably going to get the 64 Gr PP from HSM.  $15 for 50 is a good price.  Has anyone shot these 64 Gr Power Points?  I want to know how accurate they are.  And do they also make a good LE round?  I always prefered the Mushroom type bullets over the ones that fragment, but I don't want to give up the accuracy of the match bullets nor do I want to pay an arm and a leg.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#9]
It's in Troy's first post here: Best .223/5.56 loads
Hope this helps.

TS
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It's in Troy's first post here: Best .223/5.56 loads
Hope this helps.

TS

I read it also.  That is where I found out about it, but it doesn't say how accurate they are and I don't know anyone that shoots them.  I'm just trying to get some first hand knowledge.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I have shot several of the 64 gr. power points.  I use them in my 16" rifle for deer and coyotes.  I load my own ammo and shoot 5/8" 100 yard and 1 3/4" 200 yard groups using a 9 power scope.  Not sure how any of the factory rounds are for accuracy, but I know the bullet is capable of better than enough accuracy for deer.

Hope this helps.

On another note, I like the performance of the Nosler 60gr. partitions better as far as terminal performance on deer, but for the price difference, the 64 pp's are a very close second and kill 'em just as dead.  I've never used any of the bear claws, 55 or 60 grain.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have shot several of the 64 gr. power points.  I use them in my 16" rifle for deer and coyotes.  I load my own ammo and shoot 5/8" 100 yard and 1 3/4" 200 yard groups using a 9 power scope.  Not sure how any of the factory rounds are for accuracy, but I know the bullet is capable of better than enough accuracy for deer.

Hope this helps.

On another note, I like the performance of the Nosler 60gr. partitions better as far as terminal performance on deer, but for the price difference, the 64 pp's are a very close second and kill 'em just as dead.  I've never used any of the bear claws, 55 or 60 grain.

This definitely helps.  I'm definitely going to give them a try.  If I could get anywhere near the accuracy you got, I'd be very happy.  Thanks for your info.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#13]
You may find that one of the 'arm and leg' bullets will have better accuracy and therefore may be better for the game you are pursuing.  If you are going to hunt you need to be as compassionate for the deer as you are for your pocketbook.  I am not writing this to rip on you, it is that some people will try to save a little money and wish in the end that they wouldn't have.  That being said I have had great results with black hills 68gr heavy match HP on deer and hogs.  

Best of luck with your hunting!  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:01:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You may find that one of the 'arm and leg' bullets will have better accuracy and therefore may be better for the game you are pursuing.  If you are going to hunt you need to be as compassionate for the deer as you are for your pocketbook.  I am not writing this to rip on you, it is that some people will try to save a little money and wish in the end that they wouldn't have.  That being said I have had great results with black hills 68gr heavy match HP on deer and hogs.  

Best of luck with your hunting!  

I know you aren't ripping on me.  I appreciate all the help I get from everyone here.  I just want to find a decent hunting round.  I shoot the Hornady 5.56 75 Gr TAP and I know that it will kill the deer.  I just don't want a round that will frangment.  I want a mushroom type effect.  I am willing to spend some money.  But $1.00 a bullet is rediculous for any type of bullet.  I don't think $.50 a bullet is too much and if it is accurate, even better.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#15]
federal trophy bonded bear claw, it comes in a 223 load. its like 20 bucks a box, but at least its a good bullet for thin skinned game, I wouldnt use an BT stuff for Deer... ya ya here comes the shot placement guys.  But Ive hunted all over and thats an understatement...also, use enough gun, 223 for coyotes yea, deer...well...again shot placement, but why not use a 270 or bigger huh, makes more sense, unless you want to use an AR, which hey who can blame ya, but unless you have the right bullet, a 223 for deer is never a great call.  Usually thats why people ask about a 223 for hunting and you didnt specify the animal so im taking a guess here.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
federal trophy bonded bear claw, it comes in a 223 load. its like 20 bucks a box, but at least its a good bullet for thin skinned game, I wouldnt use an BT stuff for Deer... ya ya here comes the shot placement guys.  But Ive hunted all over and thats an understatement...also, use enough gun, 223 for coyotes yea, deer...well...again shot placement, but why not use a 270 or bigger huh, makes more sense, unless you want to use an AR, which hey who can blame ya, but unless you have the right bullet, a 223 for deer is never a great call.  Usually thats why people ask about a 223 for hunting and you didnt specify the animal so im taking a guess here.

Eventually I'd like to convert my AR into the 6.5 Grendel, but right now, the bullets are too expensive and I just want to give it more time to see if it catches on.  When I was purchasing my AR, I tried getting the Armalite AR-10T, but since I live in NJ, no one would ship it becasue it came with the 20 round magazine, so I got a little impatient and got the .223, which is OK becasue I can also use it for work (LE).  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:38:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
That's expensive.  I buy some of my ammo from HSM (Hunting Shack).  They sell the 55 Gr Speer "Bear Claw" Bonded for $47.00 for a box of 50.  They also sell a 64 Gr PSP for $15.35 for 50 rounds but I don't know what kind of bullet it is.  I called and the guy isn't there until Tuesday.

How do you figure thats expensive? 3 boxes at 20rds/box at $11.99 each=$35.97 for 60rds.  Much cheaper than 50rds @ $47.00

Stang
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you figure thats expensive? 3 boxes at 20rds/box at $11.99 each=$35.97 for 60rds.  Much cheaper than 50rds @ $47.00

Stang

I should have been more clear what I was refering to when I said expensive.  I meant for the bullets, not the ammo.  I pay $10 for a box of 20 rounds of Hornady.  If I misunderstood what you wrote, I apologize.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Then I apologize as well. Sorry.

Stang
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Well, at $1 per round almost, sounds like you are buying the more expensive stuff. Midway has it for almost half that price.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, at $1 per round almost, sounds like you are buying the more expensive stuff. Midway has it for almost half that price.

You are right, I just checked it out.  They have it on sale.  Good deal Mr Sanders.  Let me buy some while the wife is out shopping.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:01:01 PM EDT
[#22]
So what are you planning on hunting? Or did I miss it in the thread somewhere?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
So what are you planning on hunting? Or did I miss it in the thread somewhere?

Third post from the top I wrote what I was shooting:

Small/Medium game such as small deer. My friend has a huge property that he has been offering to take me shooting so I want to try it out. If I like it, maybe I'll get a .308. But I just want to try it first. I don't even know if the .223 is big enough for hunting. All I shoot is the 5.56 75 Gr TAP and I don't want to shoot deer with that.

No biggy though I don't mind posting it again.  I checked Midway and read some posts about hunting with some of the .223 ammo like the Bear Claw, Nosler Partition, and the Power Point, and everyone wrote that they were good to hunt deer that weighed 250 lbs.  So it is looking up for me.  Pretty much the rounds that you guys recommended.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Swift Scirroco 75 grain controlled expansion.  Needs a quick twist barrel. 1 in 8" at least.  This is a reloading proposition only, I'm not aware of anyone that loads this commercially.

Also would recommend you stay away from OTMs unless ranges are absolutely within frag range.  Even so, aim carefully, otherwise you'll ruin good meat with a fragmenting OTM.  Softpoints on the other hand will expand beyond frag ranges for OTMs.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I have an 18" 1x8 twist Wilson Bull Barrel, so bullet weight is not a problem.  Reloading is a problem since I don't have the equipment or the know-how.  I should start though.  For me, OTM and other ammunition that frags is out of the question for hunting.  If I ever start reloading, I would like to try the Barnes, Nosler Partition, Power Point, and the Swift Scirroco 75 grain.  They all sound pretty good.  I'd just like to see which one is the most accurate.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Swift Scirroco 75 grain controlled expansion.  Needs a quick twist barrel. 1 in 8" at least.  This is a reloading proposition only, I'm not aware of anyone that loads this commercially.

Also would recommend you stay away from OTMs unless ranges are absolutely within frag range.  Even so, aim carefully, otherwise you'll ruin good meat with a fragmenting OTM.  Softpoints on the other hand will expand beyond frag ranges for OTMs.

There is some new loads coming out, and Swift has a Scirroco 2 coming out as well, I "THINK" federal is going to have a comerical loading, I know I have seen one somewhere
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top