Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/16/2006 7:56:38 AM EDT
Ok - I will admit that I have been stocking up on the Wally World 40 boxes of the WWB.  I bought 4 boxes three days ago for the old price.  Bought two boxes last night - had the old price tag on the shelf - but rung up at the next out of this world price.  The sales person sent me up to the front to get a refund for teh difference. (yep the deal is dead).

That being said,

Why don't we see more packaging like that of the 40 round boxes? no plastic or carboard to pay for or to throw away?  I see no problem is buying 223/5.56 in the loose like you do with the 22 lr ammo that we get such deals on.

So if any ammo people are looking we want the ammo - the the pretty package that it comes in.

Rant off,

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:26:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump - Why must we buy all the packaging w/ the the Ammo - just sell us the ammo!!!!!

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:33:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Buying .223 or other bulk ammo causes more dents and dings to the case.  Think XM193PD or 855PD.  They don't leave the factory with that many dents/dings.
.22lr has a lot less mass and weight to it.
Somehow the manufacturer has to make sure the bullets don't have room to move or impact other bullets.  Packaging is the easiest/cheapest way to do this.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:03:12 AM EDT
[#3]
YEA, just put em on stripper clips and do away with the packaging...
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes!!  On strippers and in boxes of 200..... or 250.....   Four or five boxes to the case, with a spoon or two in each box......    OH, and loaded to 5.56 pressures.

After all, if it wasn't originally intended for the military, then it wouldn't be surplus.  Also. I'd buy it from a reputable source even if it had some sort of of disclaimer about not being responsable for weapon damage becasue of the pressures if fired in other that 5.56 chambers.

That would be asking for wayyy too much.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:59:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Come on now - I do not think that they get that banged up in the bulk packing - look at the stuff from cableas.  Look at the WWB - nice compact 40 rounds packaged in one box w/ no papers or plastic holders.  There is not waste in the WWB box vs the ones from Rem.

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#6]
My Q3131A has no cardboard separators or plastic holders.  Just a compact size box.  I must admit I do like the Q3131 because you can discard the holders, put the ammo on strippers, put the strippers in the cardboard sleeve and it fits back in the box.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Come on now - I do not think that they get that banged up in the bulk packing - look at the stuff from cableas. Look at the WWB - nice compact 40 rounds packaged in one box w/ no papers or plastic holders.   There is not waste in the WWB box vs the ones from Rem.

Later,

Badredfish

Amen. I wish I had kept all the WWB boxes. The Remington .223 boxes don't fit in an ammo can worth a damn. Oh well, as the guy said, "strippers."
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I use these. Ammo boxes  And 100 round box
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#9]
C'mon, look at .22 rimfire ammo. Anyone ever buy the 500 round boxes? Is .223 any more dangerous to just throw in a big box like that? I say just throw a few hundred rounds in a box and let us buy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
C'mon, look at .22 rimfire ammo. Anyone ever buy the 500 round boxes? Is .223 any more dangerous to just throw in a big box like that? I say just throw a few hundred rounds in a box and let us buy.

Thanks Usp8riot,

Does any one here know if we have anyone from UMC Winchester, or Federal that logs on here?

Thanks,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The 500 round bricks are not loose ammo.  They are 10 fifty round boxes as I am sure you know.  The way the boxes are packaged seems pretty secure so the ammo doesn't get banged up.  I would still pay a little extra and have the ammo boxed like Q3131 or XM193.  No one relies on rimfire ammo for self defense + in the case of a badly deformed cartridge the .22 KaBOOM probably would not injure you like the 5.56.

Edited for spelling.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The 500 round bricks are not loose ammo.  They are 10 fifty round boxes as I am sure you know.  The way the boxes are packaged seems pretty secure so the ammo doesn't get banged up.

Some of it is loose.

http://jorg.net/ammo/1.jpg

http://jorg.net/ammo/2.jpg

Edited to fix code.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the heads up Jorg.  I never in saw it packaged loose like that.  Is the box bigger than a brick?  I would think that the way the cartridges are packeged in the brick it would be more compact.  I am not sure if would like it loose like that.  Guess with .22 it wouldn't really matter.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:07:57 AM EDT
[#14]
It's about the size of a quart size milk carton. I have seen many different types of 22lr ammo packed that way.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Buying .223 or other bulk ammo causes more dents and dings to the case.

I think I'd put my money on the notion that dinged ammo gets bulk packed rather than bulk packed ammo get dinged.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#16]
It's been awhile since I've handled a brick of the 50 round packs, so I can't comment on the exact size difference.  I would hazard a guess that this box is just slightly larger than your standard box of 12 gauge shells.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Winchester 22lr brick 5 1/2 X 5 1/2 X 3 1/2.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:26:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Buying .223 or other bulk ammo causes more dents and dings to the case.

I think I'd put my money on the notion that dinged ammo gets bulk packed rather than bulk packed ammo get dinged.

No doubt you are correct on this, but there is quite a bit of unpacked area in the PD boxes, which leads me to believe that a lot of those dents come from the packaging.  Obviously this has no effect on broken case necks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:49:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Those minor dings won't hurt a thing though!  But I guess some of those PD pack have had some wild stuff in them.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top