Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/14/2006 1:14:22 PM EDT
I found a gun shop that has what he says in 5.56 Armor Piercing,  is this legal?  How do I identify if it really is.  From a quick look it looks almost like 55 fmj but it does look similar is this something worth picking up just in case?  It doesn't have any tip colors like m855.
Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#1]
M855 is one of the ammo that have SS109 projectile. However, not all ammo that uses SS109 projectile have green painted tip. For example, British Royal Ordnance Radway Green ammo uses SS109 projectile but do not paint their tip green.

By the way, the "armor piercing" is false advertisement. 5.56x45 armor piercing ammo is illegal, but that does not stop a lot of gun shop from false advertising M855/SS109 ammo as "armor piercing". Most likely they are selling M855/SS109 and advertise the mild steel core as AP core, which is complete BS. M855/SS109 are consider by BATF as ball ammo and in real life test does not show real AP capability. Only AP ammo that I know are legal in the market are 30-06 M2 AP and 50 BMG AP rounds.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#2]
No I looked at this stuff and it does not look at all like M855 even without the green tip.  It looks like 193 ball for lack of a better description.  I guess I'll buy a few rounds and take it apart. and take some pictures of it and post this weekend.  Maybe even try a little out.  That way I can also post the headstamp.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
M855 ammo from Europe does not bear the colored tip.
Europe never used M193, so there is no need to designate the M855.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:09:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I was using 855 for purely a descriptive purpose only, I've decided to buy a copula  bucks worth just to test it out and take it apart.  Then I can post it here and find out what this mystery ammo is.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:28:58 AM EDT
[#5]
M995 has tungsten carbide as the penetrator as opposed to steel. Tungsten is non-magnetic, although the carbide mix may be slightly magnetic...   TRY magnet test before destructive testing. If it is strong enough to pick it up it ss109, if not could be illegal AP. Very unlikely the shop owner would put his AZZ on the line (read: go to camp fed, do not collect $200.) to sell a little AP which is no question illegal. If it was advertised in his shop it is not M995.

Edit: I would love to know what your looking at post back with details!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:25:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I will have a buddy of mine pick some up at lunch and get it up to me, its about a hour away. I'll also have hime email me some pictures of it in the meantime.  The guy that owns the shop is NOT to swift, he argued with me that the 5.56 white box "seconds" (Blackhills M262) was the same exact rounds as the other white box he had which was 223 68 grain "remanufactured".  So after deciding he knew it all I just quit and bought all of his 5.56 white box
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Man, if he's caliming the new blackhill MK262 is the same as the remanufacture 68gr, and sell at the same price, I would pick all of them up as well.

As for the so call AP round, what is the headstamp on the casing? Provided it's new, that will tell us something.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#8]
If its AP its illegal for him to sell it to you.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I got all of the M262 (hehe) but my buddy went in there at lunch and looked it over and said it was 62 grain traing rounds. When he was in the Army he was in supply mand has seen allot of that stuff.  He said instead of having the steel penetrater it is all lead or antimony but its cheaper than true M855 for training.   He said the guy doesnt know his ass from a hole in the ground, which I knew from the M262 blunder.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#10]
buy one round and try to cut it in half with some side cutters, if it's FMJ it should be real easy to snap in two, otherwise you should be able to pull it apart and tell if it's M855 or AP.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top