Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 12:23:34 PM EDT
Can buy this stuff locally for $240 for 1200 rounds loose in cans.  Date stamped 89/90.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

TIA

Seydou
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Anybody?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#2]
"TW" headstamp was for Twin Cities Wisconsin, which closed sometime during the early to mid 70's or so.  Sounds like somebody is passing off some reloads on TW headstamped brass, if primers are aluminum or nickel colored, it's definitely reloads.  Hope this helps...Tommy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I also saw this online. They don't ship ammo though. I don't know if this is the ammo your talking about.

Jensen Arms
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I also saw this online. They don't ship ammo though. I don't know if this is the ammo your talking about.

Jensen Arms

Yes that is what I am talking about.  As far as I can figure out so far, TW stands for Twin Cities Army Ammunition Plant (TCAAP) which is in Minnesota.  It was run by Federal at one point but most recently by Alliant Techsystems Inc.(ATK).  The Army has apparently slated it to be closed FY06 but I have not been able to determine yet when they produced what types of ordnance.

Just curious if anyone has any experience with the stuff.  I am going up to Jensen's tomorrow and will probably pick some up if it looks good.  For this part of the country that price is pretty good, although they also have Q3131 for $214/1000 and BH blue box 55gr fmj for $198/1000.

Seydou
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:37:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yes that is what I am talking about.  As far as I can figure out so far, TW stands for Twin Cities Army Ammunition Plant (TCAAP) which is in Minnesota.  It was run by Federal at one point but most recently by Alliant Techsystems Inc.(ATK).  The Army has apparently slated it to be closed FY06 but I have not been able to determine yet when they produced what types of ordnance.

Just curious if anyone has any experience with the stuff.  I am going up to Jensen's tomorrow and will probably pick some up if it looks good.  For this part of the country that price is pretty good, although they also have Q3131 for $214/1000 and BH blue box 55gr fmj for $198/1000.

Seydou

I worked for Honeywell Defense & Marine and Later Alliant Techsystems at TCAAP from 1990 to 1993.
When I worked there we produced 9mm, 5.56, 7.62x51, .50 BMG, 25mm Bushmaster  and 30mm GAU 8 During the Desert Shield buildup and during r Desert Storm,  and for a few months after Desert Storm. Most of the Tooling was shipped to Lake City and Kilgore  in 1993 before we were laid off.  

From what I remember all of the ammo that was produced then by the Federal Cartridge side and the Honeywell/ ATK side all had the "TW" Headstamp.  

Federal Cartridge  was no longer any part of  the TCAAP Complex after 1991.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:29:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seydou

I worked for Honeywell Defense & Marine and Later Alliant Techsystems at TCAAP from 1990 to 1993.
When I worked there we produced 9mm, 5.56, 7.62x51, .50 BMG, 25mm Bushmaster  and 30mm GAU 8 During the Desert Shield buildup and during r Desert Storm,  and for a few months after Desert Storm. Most of the Tooling was shipped to Lake City and Kilgore  in 1993 before we were laid off.  

From what I remember all of the ammo that was produced then by the Federal Cartridge side and the Honeywell/ ATK side all had the "TW" Headstamp.  

Federal Cartridge  was no longer any part of  the TCAAP Complex after 1991.

dpmmn,
Thanks for the great info.  I really appreciate it.  Looks like I will own some ammo that you produced.

Seydou
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I checked this stuff out earlier this week.  No case neck crimp, primer silver colored and no sealant.  It looks like T18B40 was right about them being reloads but Jensen's had them marked as "new".  They said that is what their distributor told them it was.  I asked if they could clarify with their distributor and was told they would try.  

Seydou
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#8]
i would get the black hills my self but that is just my preference
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#9]
The twin cities are in minnesota BTW.  EW or eau claire WI was the ammo plant back in WWII but I believe that they closed after WWII.

I would be cautious is they were headstamped 89 or 90.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top