Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/7/2006 6:32:24 AM EDT
I saw Eric's post and they will resolve any problems.  But does the corroded ammo case effect performance of it when shot?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:44:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Ut!  I don't have my rifle in one piece at this moment, so I can't do any testing.  Probably next week I'll get a chance to.

The stuff I have is very funky, so it should be interesting to see whether it all goes bang and how it chronographs.  Here's a sample of the "good" ammo that I sorted back to keep:

http://users.htcomp.net/tbelding/img/kept_ammo.jpg

Incidentally, I'm not eager to buy more surplus ammo.  I think next time I'll try Georgia Arms "Canned Heat".  I got some 30 Carbine from them before, and it was A-OK.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:49:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Does the corrosion effect the case stability or will it split or fail at the point where the corrosion is?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:59:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't shoot corroded ammo, but a little discoloration is okay.

I think corrosion would make a weak spot on the case, and I don't want to be the one who finds that out the hard way!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Today I finally got to do some basic testing. . .

Chronographed Guatemalan M193ED (Extra Discolored) 1993 lot 3 . . .
   3115, 3169, 3163, 3167, 3148, 3097

That's from a 16-inch barrel with a silencer, distance 15 feet from my Beta Chrony.  There were no unpleasant surprises while shooting this ammo.  Everything fired when it was supposed to.  The cases showed no evidence of high pressure or hard extraction, the ejection pattern was fine.  The only thing I didn't get to check today was accuracy.  Despite its battle-scarred appearance, this ammo shows every indication of performing well.

Worth noting:  I never experienced any funny smells either before or after firing.

Also worth noting. . .   My previous two crates were 1993 lot 1 and lot 3, both with large amounts of corrosion and discoloration.  Today UPS brought my replacement crate and picked up the severely corroded stuff I had packed up.  The new crate is 1997 lot 7 and the ammo is beautiful.  It's so shiny and spotless!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a case of 1990 that I recieved last week.  Lot 1. All of it was tarnished--no shiny brass anywhere.  It was pink, brown and a little black but it did not feel corroded or rough.  I polished a couple of rounds with metal polish and they looked great.  I shot about 250 rounds today without a problem.  Did not test for accuracy really but seemed average.  WWB "seems" better.  No complaints.  Pulled one bullet and it was sealed at the neck but from what I hear it is not M193 spec.  Great price, kind of a  crap shoot though...
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#6]
update. . . .

There is indeed a brief but distinctive ammonia smell when each shot is fired.  I  didn't notice it yesterday because of strong winds, but today the weather was calm.  I managed to do some target shooting with the ugly 1993 ammo, and I turned out some good groups with it.

My thinking about this stuff has turned around.  It's high-quality ammo.  With AIM now checking each crate and weeding out the corroded stuff, I feel that it's a good deal.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Keep in mind - I took my worst corroded rounds, hit them with some scotch brite pads, and the "corrossion" did not pit the cases in any way - they were fine.  I would not personally be concerned about shooting any of it, unless I saw signs of case pitting.

I shot a bunch of the Guat today, it all ran 100%.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine was lot 3 93, very discolored but no corrosion, it all went bang.  Checked the accuracy at 50 yards and it was grouping about an inch with a few occasional fliers, ( I m not the best shot in the world). no noticable smell.  I might be buying more of this in the immediate future.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Just bought a full sealed case today. 6/91 mfg date. All ammo is bright & shiny, no problems at all.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks!  keep the comments coming!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top