Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 12:29:38 PM EDT
After helping dad trim some trees he mentioned that he has had some .223 ammo on clips in cardboard for years. He gave me a couple of clips to try and see how it shoots. He doesn't have an AR15 and won't shoot it in his A-Bolt .223.
I removed one round for a quick look. It is stamped L C 6 9, which I assume to be Lake City made in 1969. That's the easy part.
What was Lake City making in '69? Is this just plinking fodder or good stuff? Should I shoot it or save it?
I will look at the stamps on the clips later if it makes any difference. Does it?
Dad will probably end up giving me all the ammo. He doesn't have a lot, but there are several clips in cardboard.
Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:51:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pepperbelly:
After helping dad trim some trees he mentioned that he has had some .223 ammo on clips in cardboard for years. He gave me a couple of clips to try and see how it shoots. He doesn't have an AR15 and won't shoot it in his A-Bolt .223.
I removed one round for a quick look. It is stamped L C 6 9, which I assume to be Lake City made in 1969. That's the easy part.
What was Lake City making in '69? Is this just plinking fodder or good stuff? Should I shoot it or save it?
I will look at the stamps on the clips later if it makes any difference. Does it?
Dad will probably end up giving me all the ammo. He doesn't have a lot, but there are several clips in cardboard.
Thanks,
Jim

55 grain Mil lake city. good stuff, will still go bang no problem if it looks good.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:03:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pepperbelly:
Thanks,
Jim

55 grain Mil lake city. good stuff, will still go bang no problem if it looks good.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:29:45 PM EDT
Good but not match, so not worth hoarding?
Jim
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:51:10 PM EDT
in 1969 they where making 55 gr for vietnam war
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:57:22 PM EDT
Well, the clips look unused at least. Dad thought it was something special. His cousin, before he died, went on a buying spree- several Colt AR15s and a lot of ammo. I think this was left over after his daughters sold everything.
Thanks,
Jim
Top Top