Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 5:35:27 PM EDT
I can buy some local from a small gun shop. It is rare that he even has any. It is British black tipped in bandoleers. I think he said 20 round boxes. I did not find any info: with a search. How is it as far as ammo goes?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Black tip?  Did the Brits ever paint their SS109 tips?  All the recent Radway Green SS109 that has been floating around has no painted tips.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I do not know much about ammo for the .223 as far as what is desireable etc... I am on a budjet but do not want Wolf. I have been buying WWB "Israel" from Wal-Mart. I also have 500 rounds of handloaded 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, and 300 handloaded 55 grain V-Max. He said Black tip. I will go check it out tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I am no expert, so it could very well be British.  I know some foreign countries painted their SS109 with black tips.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:00:18 AM EDT
[#4]
We don't paint our RG ammuntion with black tips, if it has black tips and is stamped RG or RORG on the case it has been painted on after the fact.

If it doesn't have RG or RORG on the case then it is either

1)It is painted on after the fact
or
2)It is NATO designated AP in 5.56mm which, I think, is prohibited in the US?

It is also issued in BDR's or CTN's not 20 round CTN's in BDR's ......

US ammunition is on strippers in cardboard in the BDR's
UK ammuntion is on strippers in the BDR's
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:27:56 AM EDT
[#5]
i bought 150 rds british SS109 the other week, it was not painted at all, packed in stripper clips in a bandoleer
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:43:30 AM EDT
[#6]
The only SS109 with painted black tips is the Hot Shot ammo, made in Bosnia. Either somebody painted them black to make them look cute (not at the manufacturing plant) or you have stumbled onto an extremely rare (an illegal) AP ammo (highly unlikely).
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:46:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I can buy some local from a small gun shop. It is rare that he even has any. It is British black tipped in bandoleers. I think he said 20 round boxes. I did not find any info: with a search. How is it as far as ammo goes?

How is it in bandoleers and in 20 round boxes?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:06:32 AM EDT
[#8]
im going to look at it today. I will post what I see. Or not
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#9]
It is marked RG on the case and is loaded on strippers in bandoleers. It does not have black tip. He has an ammo can unopened of the same and it said L1A1 I believe on the side. There is also a "cross hairs" circled on it. What is it? I looked at it today and he quoted 240.00 for the 900 unopened in the can. Out the door no sales tax.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Quoted:

How is it in bandoleers and in 20 round boxes?

I was going on what he told me on the phone. He thought it was Black tip and told me that face to face today until I pulled out a stripper and showed him it was otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It is marked RG on the case and is loaded on strippers in bandoleers. It does not have black tip. He has an ammo can unopened of the same and it said L1A1 I believe on the side. There is also a "cross hairs" circled on it. What is it? I looked at it today and he quoted 240.00 for the 900 unopened in the can. Out the door no sales tax.

You could get this for $149 per 900 round can from AIM last summer. He's a bit flippin high if you ask me. Make sure of the year, the earlier stuff [mid 80s] was underpowered, the later stuff was fine and dandy, I liked mine VERY much. Have 3 "cans" stored away. He's asking $40 per bando basically, 150 rounds at $40 bucks = 21.5 cents apiece. THAT is steep for surplus. People here gripe if they pay 17 or 18 cents per surplus.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#13]
If it is marked L1A1 it is the first generation of 62gr RG 5.56mm

L1A1 does not like most AR15's.

It is good for 'fragmentation' though, as the bullet tends to break up more than it should do, which is why there is now L2A2!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I will buy some federal XM193 instead. The Guatemala stuff is a little scary. Seems like a crap shoot with that stuff. I will pay a little more for peace of mind.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top