Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/28/2006 3:42:42 PM EDT
Opened 3 Battle Packs, 1 each out of each case of 1440. About 30-35% are corodded lightly, mostly by the case base and in the extractor groove. One case was 30% eaten by termites, I suspect FORMOSIN termites, considering where it came from. I would inspect your wooden cases well and burn any that seem to contain any tunnels or powdery/crumbly wood. I don't know if any would survive but I am NOT taking any chances.

Loaded 60 rounds, 20 SA 5.56 from my stash, 20 193 and 20 of the Guat. The Guat definately is full power ammo, I could tell no difference between the types except for the pee smell that the SA and the Guat seem to give off. I did not try to group any at any distance, as it was getting dark so I only fired it off at about 50 yards. All went bang.

This would not be good SHTF ammo because of the corrosion and I doubt that at that price I will get any more. Maybe if it dropped to $45 or $50 per pack I would consider it. I will keep my 193 and SA stuff as SHTF ammo and just shoot this stuff up this summer.

All Battle Packs were sealed and none were cut opened. All was 97 dated stuff. Green primer sealer, good crimps and the neck is crimped well also.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:47:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fxntime:
This would not be good SHTF ammo because of the corrosion and I doubt that at that price I will get any more. Maybe if it dropped to $45 or $50 per pack I would consider it. I will keep my 193 and SA stuff as SHTF ammo and just shoot this stuff up this summer.

All Battle Packs were sealed and none were cut opened. All was 97 dated stuff. Green primer sealer, good crimps and the neck is crimped well also.

That sucks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:50:06 PM EDT
It is unfortunate.

But we got our answer as to why it was surplused...or at least one answer anyway.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:04:18 PM EDT
Mine will be here Thursday!

Yay!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:34:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/28/2006 7:45:44 PM EDT by MadCzek]
I think this will all sell out soon because:

1) We've been deprived of readily available surplus 5.56mm for years.
2) Its packaged in 'battlepacks' (cool factor to some)
3) Its a novelty to many

Personally, if it was 12-13 cents a round, Id buy some. But at 17-18 cents, I'm sticking with Israeli made WWB from Wal Mart made less than a year ago.

Im sorry that your batch showed corrosion, and I doubt you'll get a refund / replacement ammo sent to you, but Id ask anyway (you never know).

But, we'll never see the $30 South African BP's and $80 cans of Malaysian M193 ever again, so this $180 or so a case of Guat is proly as close as we'll ever come.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:42:30 PM EDT
Do the shipped this in just the wooden crate?

Mine is coming UPS, just curious if they put the crate in a box.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:49:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By XDBACKUPGUN:
Do the shipped this in just the wooden crate?

Mine is coming UPS, just curious if they put the crate in a box.

They normally cardboard the wooden crates when shipped.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:00:28 PM EDT
Thanks for the review! None of the surplus I have shot - especially the stuff in the sealed battlepacks - was corroded at all. This would make me worry. But if all goes bang and not KaBoom then all is well. Surprises me that you saw corrosion in ammo thats not even 10 years old.

-K
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:26:52 AM EDT
I would like to see pics of the stuff you guys are getting in, of the wood boxes too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:40:26 AM EDT
Shit!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:47:22 AM EDT
Will Post Pics and detailed examination when mine arrives.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:52:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:40:13 AM EDT
So was it tarnished or corroded, there is a difference.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:59:01 AM EDT
The few I inspected while down at AIM looked real clean, these few came from the same batch out of the crate as I only took 3 battlepacks, 97 production as well. I didn't look at the wooden crate which is in the garage, I'll check it tonight.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:35:40 AM EDT
I should have some coming in this week. I can add some pics as well.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:44:45 AM EDT
Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure the wooden crates would have heat treated prior to leaving Guatemala, shoot, any wood coming into the US has to be treated.
Canada is exempt from this though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:09:00 AM EDT
all wooden crates and pallets after Sept 15 2005 have to be fumigated, or the wood cases and pallets have to removed. Its a big pain in the rear to the importers
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:44:04 AM EDT
I just orderd a battlepack of it to see how I like it. Of course I'll probably decide I like it and want a case of it but by them it'll probably be all gone, knowing my luck.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:25:30 AM EDT
This sounds exactly like the guat I bought a few years ago. Corroded in spots, tarnished in others. Mostly it looked like it came from acids in the cardboard boxes. UGLY ammo. But it shot _great_! Nice and hot like q3131 and xm193. I'd say about 1/3rd was corroded, and the rest had varying degrees of tarnished spots... some of it actually looked pretty good though. I went through it and got it all out of the cardboard boxes, then separated out the "pretty" to "decent" looking stuff and stuck that in an ammo box to keep, and just shot up all the ugly stuff immediately. At that time, I wasn't too pissed about the looks of it, cause it was pretty cheap. At the prices it's going for now, I don't know if I'd fiddle with it though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:49:21 AM EDT
Wow...

Suddenly I am glad I held off on getting any.

I think I will stick with Q3131.

CSP
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:03:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By flannagan_bryan:
So was it tarnished or corroded, there is a difference.

Corroded, with whitish powder on the spots. I could care less about tarnishing as that is just surface discoloration.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:34:27 PM EDT
TARNISH is okay but corodded ammo freget it!

I will stick with WOLF M193 feeds good in my Rifle!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:44:36 PM EDT
Just opened my battle pack from AIM, all the rounds are bright and shiney with no signs of corrosion, hell it's hardley even discolored, it's lot 07 stamped 87, I'll be at the range this weekend and am looking forward to shooting this stuff, if it fires and groups anywhere close to my Q3131, I'll have found a new blasting round, that is until it's gone again.
Guess I'll have to grab up on some more.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:59:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dilligaff:
Just opened my battle pack from AIM, all the rounds are bright and shiney with no signs of corrosion, hell it's hardley even discolored, it's lot 07 stamped 87, I'll be at the range this weekend and am looking forward to shooting this stuff, if it fires and groups anywhere close to my Q3131, I'll have found a new blasting round, that is until it's gone again.

87 or 97?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:08:49 PM EDT

87 or 97?

Damned old eyes, took my glasses and a magnifing glass to see it correctly, but it is '97.
My apologies folks.
Still, every single round looks very good.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:18:29 PM EDT
Is this the same stuff that was comming in about 3-4 years ago? If so, it wasn't bad stuff for the range. Price does seem a bit steep. Though, as mentioned before, it seems like mil surp is just getting harder and harder to find.................
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:18:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:21:39 PM EDT

87 or 97?

Damned old eyes, took my glasses and a magnifing glass to see it correctly, but it is '97.
My apologies folks.
Still, every single round looks very good.

Just wondering as mine was lot 7 also. Thanks for the update. [And it IS pretty hard to tell the year]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:29:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/1/2006 3:29:41 PM EDT by dilligaff]

[And it IS pretty hard to tell the year]

Thanks for those words of encouragement, I can still see thru my scopes just fine tho.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:09:06 PM EDT
One of the earlier posters said the boxes were the possible cause of the corrosion and after very carefully opening the boxes and examining the contact between the boxes and the corrosion I agree. The only places where there is corrosion is where actual contact is made between the brass and the cardboard. I'll pull all of it and put it in dessicanted ammo cans lined with plastic.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:24:00 PM EDT
Mine came this evening..
Top of crate kind of just slid off..
BPs appear intact,looks cool so far..

Came in a cardboard outer..

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:38:19 AM EDT
I checked my crate last night, there are signs of termite damage ,very little and I'm confident the little buggers were taken care of upon exit/entry into the country. Just to be on the safe side though, I pitched the crate

While taking the battle packs out, one of them was previously opened, I was told the crate I got was used for the photo AIM flyer. Anywho, I took all the boxes out and checked 4 of them, the brass is real clean, can't find anything wrong with them(and I'm super anal), I'm really impressed and I'm looking forward to getting to the range to try it out, the 3 packs I have are Lot 7.
I'm hoping to buy more of these before it's all gone, but I already had to split the cost up between two cards to hide it from my Wife, and I'm worried if she finds out she'll confiscate my firearms
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:45:09 AM EDT

One of the earlier posters said the boxes were the possible cause of the corrosion and after very carefully opening the boxes and examining the contact between the boxes and the corrosion I agree. The only places where there is corrosion is where actual contact is made between the brass and the cardboard. I'll pull all of it and put it in dessicanted ammo cans lined with plastic.

That would seem to me that the cardboard was exposed to water at some point. Could just be high humidity. I would not store them in the boxes they came in. Maybe put them on strippers and in an ammo can. JMO.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:51:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:17:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:21:38 AM EDT
Red sticker on crate with sketch of an explosion.
"EXPLOSIVO MANEJEESE CON CUIDADO"

Received mine yesterday evening. 5/97 Lot 5.
Slide crate top, 4 dirty battle packs enclosed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:29:03 PM EDT
Opened a couple 30 rnd boxes,almost half have some type of "stuff" on them..
I am not worried about them being ok to shoot,just looking at dumping the boxes and throwing in cans..

I did find one of the 2 boxes that I opened to have what "looked" like powder,but all cartridges appeared fine and intact??

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:38:18 PM EDT
Here's what mine looked like:

That's pretty representative really. 2 in every 5 are spotted but I haven't seen anything I wouldn't shoot yet. I'm tossing the spotted ones in a tumbler to see if I can knock it out just to prevent a possible corrosion point from forming.

Now for the weekend and a range test.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:12:52 PM EDT
No-The ones I have looked at are more than "water spots"
I do not believe that even the "corrosion" that has been sited, will cause problems!!

I would buy a LOT more if my BPs looked as good as a couple I have seen here..
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:43:34 PM EDT
I got mine and it is crap, I am not happy. About 75% or more is at least tarnished to corrosion, actual stuff you can scrape with your fingernail. I am calling AIM tomorrow to see about returning it. I wanted this stuff to store and this will not work. Some of the cases look like they have been sitting in water, but all the packs were sealed.

I can understand milsurp not sealed, but this stuff is bad. I am quite disappointed.
Top Top