Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/28/2006 3:25:23 PM EDT
anyone have aany experiences with silverbear ammo? i have not personaly is it any cleaner burnig than wolf? my ar15 shoots wolf just fine but its a true blue pain in the ass to clean off that much carbon biuld up? id love to hear about it and who has a good deal on it
happy blasting!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used both and Silver bear is just as dirty.  It's definatly hotter and has more FPS then Wolf but is about equivelent in any other category.  I will warn you that Silver Bear does use a laquer sealer around the necks.  Some guns just choke on the stuff.  I've never really had problems with stuff but I still clean the sealer off with solvent.  All in all, the Silver Bear is better if Wolf short strokes in your rifle.  But other than having a hotter load, Silever Bear is more expensive, harder to find and has that stupid laquer sealer.

About one of the few places that still carry Silver Bear is Cheaper than dirt and it's almost $3.00 a box for .223.  Other than that, I haven't seen too many people still carrying the .223 variety.  Ammuntion store does carry some pistol cartridges and I have seen Sportsman Guide with some .308 at reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Silver bear is much hotter than wolf.   There is the sealent on the neck to contend with and the cases can get quite "gritty" feeling over time from oxidation I am guessing.   I had 1/2 a case of siler bear.  I had 2 FTEs with it.    Cleaning rod got both of them out.    I have since run 1.5k of wolf and never a hickup.   Given the extra money they want for silver bear over wolf and the FTEs, I will stick with wolf from now on.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had failures to extract with it too.  One rifle needed the pogo-stick method to clear, the other just a hard tug on the CH.  I quit using it.  Wolf runs perfect in both my rifles so why pay more and get extraction issues?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#4]
good to know, thanx guys, wow this stuff sounds like its a land rover, expensive and crappy @ the same time, ill probly stick to wolf or maybe even try there new brass cased stuff whats the word on that ammo so far?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#5]
There's a really good review of the brasds cased Wolf here.  Personally I'm sticking to the polymer stuff.  Its cheap and reasonably accurate for my plinking needs.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=270540
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top