Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/25/2006 12:02:32 PM EDT
Origin of bullets was from a gun store that has been gone for several years.

These have been an outstanding varmit eradication bullet.  Armadillos will pop open like clamshells when hit head or ass on and they tumble/deflect like crazy inside of larger targets like Coyotes and wild dogs.

Here is the bullet:
http://onclickpix.com/32473
Its a blunt nose fmj,  IIRC, its a 55 grain.

Side by side comparison of "normal" fmj.
http://onclickpix.com/32472

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure it ain't one of those XM193PD bullets?  

Actually, I am quite serious.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you tried cutting open one of the bullets?  It almost looks like a frangible, ie non-lead bullet.  I've tried Sinterfire sintered copper frangible bullets that looked similar to that, with the blunt nose.  Those were only 42-gr bullets, not 55.

Was this loaded ammo or just bullets for reloading?  If loaded ammo, I think Federal and PMC make/made frangible rounds that looked like that.

If not a frangible round, the only other round that comes close are Hornady flat-nose bullets made specifically for the .218 Bee cartridge for use in lever-action rifles.  Those were only around 45-gr, not 55.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#3]
They have a lead core when cut in half and they came as a box of about 500 loose bullets for reload.  No brand name and never thought to ask.  I got them cheap as a "cleaning out the back room" discount becuase they never sold.

I have had a few friends that are Vietnam vets tell me they look rounds they had issued over there, but I can;t find any info related to that either.

The closest I have been able to find in looks and construction is the Speer African Grand Slam but it is not available as a .223.

I guess I might have to accept the fact this could be a total oddball round that went out of production 25 years ago or somehting.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top