Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/24/2006 10:55:10 AM EDT
This may be a stupid question, but I've searched and read a lot in here and can't find an answer.  Is there anywhere to buy new 75 or 77 grain 5.56 ammo?  I see it in 223 but not 5.56.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#1]
5.56 ammunition is dimensionally identical to .223.  "5.56" does not create a "specification"

Is there something specific you are looking for?  Crimped primers?  Sealed primers and bullets?  Military pressures?

The closest you are going to get to... is MK262.  Not general available on the civilian market.   An excellent substitue would be Black Hills 75 and 77 match ammo.... tho not the same spec.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
5.56 ammunition is dimensionally identical to .223.  "5.56" does not create a "specification"

Is there something specific you are looking for?  Crimped primers?  Sealed primers and bullets?  Military pressures?

The closest you are going to get to... is MK262.  Not general available on the civilian market.   An excellent substitue would be Black Hills 75 and 77 match ammo.... tho not the same spec.

Pretty much looking for mil-spec ammo for a SHTF scenario.  Just want to have some of the top grade ammo available should I need it.  Other stuff is OK for general plinking, etc.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Pretty much looking for mil-spec ammo for a SHTF scenario.  Just want to have some of the top grade ammo available should I need it.  Other stuff is OK for general plinking, etc.

Oh, well that is clearly answered in this tacked thread:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=268283
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:54:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Cabela's had MK 262 seconds, but have been out of stock for a long time now.  JKiser, a dealer on the boards, has been getting some recently, but it goes quick.  Supposedly he has more coming in.  Check here.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Hornady makes it's 75gr TAP in 5.56, but it's only sold to LEO.  If you're a LEO (or are friends with one) they could order some for you.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I don't know if I totally agree with your first statement.  Plus black hills does sell factory "seconds" of mk262 on cabela's (although I heard it was backordered) and fulton armory used to also.  But you are correct in stating that the black hills 75 and 77's would be an excellent choice too.

Edited to add: I see that bushwacker beat me to part of this.  Sorry!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't know if I totally agree with your first statement.  

Which part?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hornady makes it's 75gr TAP in 5.56, but it's only sold to LEO.  If you're a LEO (or are friends with one) they could order some for you.

THIS is Hornady TAP 75 grain HP.  

Nic
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:36:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone have info on the new 75-gr Wolf Gold round that's supposed to be coming out this year?  It was discussed a week or two ago on the AR Discussions board.

It's supposed to function in a 1-9 twist barrel, and if it's accurate and frags decently it should be awesome.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

THIS is Hornady TAP 75 grain HP.  

Nic

That's their .223 75gr TAP.  They also make a 5.56 75gr TAP that's LEO only.  The original poster's question was regarding 5.56 ammo.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:05:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I also would like you to explain further this statement. While it is true that they are "dimensionally" similar for the most part, they are not identical. And 5.56 is a different spec in that it is loaded to higher pressures than  .223.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:35:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I also would like you to explain further this statement. While it is true that they are "dimensionally" similar for the most part, they are not identical.

Not true.  Let me re-state it to be clear:

5.56 ammunition is dimensionally identical to .223.

They are NOT "dimensionally similar".  They are *dimensionally identical*.  This is external characteristics of head diameter, shoulder distance from head, OAL, body width, etc.  I dont know how to be more clear.... BOTH .223 and 5.56 ammunition are externally the same.  Perhaps you are confusing the CHAMBER dimensions between a SAAMI chamber, and Wylde or NATO "5.56" chambers?  Those are dimensionally different.

If you need a reference - www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm#diff

And 5.56 is a different spec in that it is loaded to higher pressures than  .223.

Not entirely true either.  As I stated - "5.56" is NOT a specification.  It is simply a metric measurement, just as .223 is a US measurement.  We generally accept that ".223" labeled ammunition falls within the SAAMI specification of min to max pressure.  We generally also accept that "5.56" labeled ammunition will be loaded to a pressure above the SAAMI max.  My statement is correct - "5.56" is NOT a specification.  It simply implies that the pressue *could* or likely will be higher than SAAMI max rating.

However - military rounds often also have crimped primers, sealant at the primer, and sealant at the bullet.  None of this is defined by the term "5.56".

On the contrary - M193, M855, NATO SS109 ARE specifications.

From the same link above:

M855: Defined in MIL-C-63989
NATO specifications for M855 Ball require a 61.7 grain (q 1.5 grains) with a hardened steel penetrator at a velocity of 3,000 fps (q 40 fps) from a 20" barrel @ 78 feet from the muzzle.  Typical velocity 15 feet from the M16A2's muzzle is 3,100 fps.  Accuracy: maximum of approximately four MOA over the 100 to 600 yard range.  Typical accuracy of average lots in an M16A2 is about 2+ MOA.  This round must also penetrate a nominal 10 gauge SAE 1010 or 1020 steel test plate at a range of at least 570 meters (623 yards).

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:20:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes, those are the things that I was referring to and so I agree with you. But, the way that you first stated it could confuse someone that did not know exactly what you meant as in the dimensions of the chamber differences and the pressure differences that are generally accepted while not a "specification" per se.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top