Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/22/2006 4:48:22 PM EDT
An officer in my squad was in a rifle class today.  He was firing Ultramax 55FMJ and had a way over pressure load.  It blew out and belled the bottom of his magazine.  Bulged the upper receiver by the ejection port.  Bent the dust cover.  Split the bolt carrier in half.  

It was a tested factory LMT complete upper.  The blow up was witnessed by the whole class and range staff.  The range master advised me another officer had another over pressure load blow out a primer and lock up his AR today also.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Bad news... Sorry that happened... But.... It can happen with ANY brand of ammo. Winchester, Wolf, Lake City....
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#2]
wonderful, thats all i have shot thus far with my AR, got about 400 rounds of it through it with no problems. Now i have to decide if i want to risk running the rest of it or not. thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
wonderful, thats all i have shot thus far with my AR, got about 400 rounds of it through it with no problems. Now i have to decide if i want to risk running the rest of it or not. thanks for the heads up

U need to read my post....Or you can send your unused Ultramax to me.. Ill dispose of it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The range master advised me another officer had another over pressure load blow out a primer and lock up his AR today also.

Was the other blow out using UltraMax as well ?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#5]
This happened to a friend's rifle, when he lent it to a shooter using Ultramax Ammo:

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey Jeff, great to see you back over here.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#7]
yep I had ultra max do that to my rifle too.  Didnt blow the upper like that but split the case and left the cartrage stuck in the barrel

However, I did call Ultramax and thye sent me a new box of ammo, and offered to pay for any repairs to the gun.  There were none.

That was theLAST time I used "reman." ammo in any gun.

Why use shitty ammo in a nice gun?  I dunno
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I bought a box a few months back since it was darn cheap, came home, looked it up on the Ammo forum here, and got a little scared.  I had to dispose of it though.    It all went bang, but I think I'll be sticking to factory new loads from now on.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#9]
roger
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I had problems with a box of 9MM i bought being loosley seated,they ar sending a prepaid label and sending me a new box. I dont think i will buy any more.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
...But.... It can happen with ANY brand of ammo. Winchester, Wolf, Lake City....

Theoretically it can happen with any brand of ammo.

But funny how Ultramax seems to have MORE than it's fair share of issues - especially given how small of the market it has.

I won't let that stuff near my firearms.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, the other rifle was shoting Ultramax also.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#13]
This is a question:

Isn't  Ultramax a commercial reloader?

IMHO (while never having purposely done so to test this) it would seem pretty hard with most powders to fill a case full enough to blow a buldge in an upper. However, if there is a change over and (for instance) a small amount of pistol powder were still in the hopper.......

[Monty Python] Run away......Run away[/Monty Python]

Good luck
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#15]
My first thought was that pistol powder somehow ended up in the case.  Great minds........
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top