Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/16/2006 5:02:06 AM EDT
the "what ammo do you use for home defense" thread go to me thinking. I've talk to several people who always say that their pistol is only used to fight to their shotgun/AR. I was thinking about it and saw that ammoman is having a sale on USGI Frangible .223. I personally don't think an AR is a good choice for home defense due to overpentration and possible pentration into something that wasn't meant to be hit. So would frangibles make an AR a good home defense gun? or would you still have to worry about the overpenetration issue?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:32:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sly_C:
I personally don't think an AR is a good choice for home defense due to overpentration and possible pentration into something that wasn't meant to be hit.

Damn man, are you that ignorant!?. How many years/times has this issue been gone over in the last year alone? Have you BOTHERED to read ANY of the threads tacked at the top of this forum. Especially the notice that says "Pleast Don't Post till you've read the following...."

5.56 is probably the BEST round to use as it has far fewer issues than service caliber handguns or shotgun rounds for overpenetration or misses.

So would frangibles make an AR a good home defense gun?

No their problem is they don't penetrate deep enough.

or would you still have to worry about the overpenetration issue?

Since you don't have an overpenetration issue in the first place I have no clue as to what you mean.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:38:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:11:11 PM EDT
IBTL
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:11:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2006 1:12:24 PM EDT by leakycow]

Originally Posted By Sly_C:
the "what ammo do you use for home defense" thread go to me thinking. I've talk to several people who always say that their pistol is only used to fight to their shotgun/AR. I was thinking about it and saw that ammoman is having a sale on USGI Frangible .223. I personally don't think an AR is a good choice for home defense due to overpentration and possible pentration into something that wasn't meant to be hit. So would frangibles make an AR a good home defense gun? or would you still have to worry about the overpenetration issue?

Aside from what Forest mentioned, you've also got to weigh this consideration:

Is compromising terminal performance for the sake of reducing overpenetration even worth it? In other words, what good is a "safe to my neighbors" round if it isn't getting the job done as well as a different one? Your best bet at keeping your neighbors "safe" is to plant the asshole in your house with as destructive a round as possible, ending the fight quickly.

Your variables are different than mine, I know.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:22:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By leakycow:
....Your best bet at keeping your neighbors "safe" is to plant the asshole in your house with as destructive a round as possible, ending the fight quickly.

Well spoken sir!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:30:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Forest:
Damn man, are you that ignorant!?. How many years/times has this issue been gone over in the last year alone? Have you BOTHERED to read ANY of the threads tacked at the top of this forum. Especially the notice that says "Pleast Don't Post till you've read the following...."

I'm glad I'm not the only one going nuts from the MONUMENTALLY STUPID questions posted here!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:56:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By markm:

Originally Posted By Forest:

I'm glad I'm not the only one going nuts from the MONUMENTALLY STUPID questions posted here!

It is getting pretty funny. I don't think anyone is bothering to read the ammo oracle or the tacked threads before posting.

Top Top