Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/8/2006 10:53:03 AM EDT
I see this at Academy for $2.89/20rds.  is this stuff any good?

Green lacquer on steel, with red sealant in primer and at case mouth.

I'd like to stock up on it for plinking, and stick with Q3131 for SHTF storage.
But if it's good enough I may stockpile it for SHTF, as it is guaranteed service life of 25 years according to the factory website.

I don't reload so I don't care if the case is brass or steel.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#1]
on par with wolf in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I chrono'd the Monarch 55gr stuff out of my mini-14 (standard length barrel) the other day.  

AVG ~1975 fps at about five feet.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#4]
My rifle (Bushy M4 type) likes it, it's decently accurate and dirt cheap.

I am leaning towards getting a bunch, , I can get 2x the ammo with the Russian stuff for blasting away with and would probably never run out of ammo with the cheap stuff.
I have 1000 rds of Q3131 already for SHTF use.

Does cheap ammo make you any "less" dead?

if I need small game hunting I will use a 10/22 not AR.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:01:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Does cheap ammo make you any "less" dead?

Potentially, YES.... since it has less of a chance in making you dead than better ammunition with higher velocities, and better fragmentation ranges, yeilding larger and more significant temporary and permanent wound cavities.

Duh.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I was looking at the factory specs in comparison to other ammunition, and on paper it fairs pretty well, but I have heard of it not chronoing out the same for others.  

I will use it for practice and as last resort ammo, after I run out of the others.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was looking at the factory specs in comparison to other ammunition, and on paper it fairs pretty well, but I have heard of it not chronoing out the same for others.  

I will use it for practice and as last resort ammo, after I run out of the others.

Factory specs in some cases are blatant fallacies.

www.wolfammo.com/bs_riffle_223rem.htm

Muzzle Velocity:
(ft/sec)    3241

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top