Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/8/2006 12:13:58 AM EDT
I was at a local retailer in my "area" and they had Remington and Hornady 6.8x43 SPC ammo for less than the .308 TAP. IIRC, they were both 14.00 and under.....My dear friend wants one really bad and I keep telling him how gay/expensive this caliber is but if they are really selling for 14.00for a box of 20 then 50% of my argument is negated. Seems like I saw Remington 6.8SPC for around 20-30.00 a box a few months back. Any insight?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:51:19 AM EDT
[#1]
You can find 6.8 for as little as $11 per box of 20 now with the average being around $14 depending on the bullet. It may never be $2.39 a box but I think the days of $20 a box are over. Costing less than it costs to shoot my .308 I have been shooting more of this gay caliber than .308 lately.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:40:08 AM EDT
[#2]
The Silver State Armory 115gr Matchking load is only $15-16 a box and is the most accurate match load I have ever shot in any caliber.  I'm getting .5 to 1" groups at 100 meters with my 4X ACOG and a 16" barrel.  Their FMJ load is also well priced and fairly accurate for a "plinking" round.  It also hits to the same POA as the Matchking load (in my rifle anyway).

Stephen
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:05:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Stephen, What type of upper are you shooting?

Jim
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Stephen, What type of upper are you shooting?

Jim

The rifle was a home build.  Originally, it was all Bushmaster except for the 16" Model 1 Sales C.A.R. barrel and bolt.  I got the chrome lined barrel.  After extensive shooting of a variety of rounds I sent it off to John Holliger at White Oak Armament to have a few details changed.  The biggest was to have a M4 feed ramp barrel extension and receiver added for feeding reliabilty.  The 6.8mm just isn't 100% without them.  I also got one of their bolts.  I added a PRI low-pro gas block, vortex FH, etc.

It has taken a year and a half of shooting 6.8mm for the ammo to just now be plentiful.  There were several times in that period where I very seriously considered having it rebarreld to 5.56mm.  Now that ammo is plentiful, it is my absolute favorite AR15 (of 4 of them), and my favorite gun period, to shoot.  I like and recommend the Silver State ammo.  Their Matchking load is awesome and their customer service is the best in the business.

If I were to do it over again right now, I'd probably get that mid-length barrel that CMMG is offering.  I might do that anyway as it seems like great barrel/upper at a great price.

Hope this helps.

Stephen

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You can find 6.8 for as little as $11 per box of 20 now with the average being around $14 depending on the bullet. It may never be $2.39 a box but I think the days of $20 a box are over...

... except at gun shows, of course.

At our last local show (2 weeks ago) an ammo dealer had 9 ragged, dog-eared boxes of Rem. 6.8SPC ammo for the low, low price of $23/box + tax.  A price, he assured me, that he wouldn't have to back off of one bit because "I couldn't get it anywhere else."  I offered to pay him what I'd paid Midway for the several boxes delivered to my home that very week, then laughed and walked away...
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top