Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/7/2006 12:17:39 PM EDT
I am building an AR15 for target practice, colt heavy barrel upper 1/7 twist 20",on top of a bushmaster lower with 2 stage trigger.

what do I need to know about heavy grain bullets in the 69-77 grain range?

will they feed reliably from a 10 round magazine?

are molly coat bullets any better than copper?

I am only interested in heavy bullets, as I have a 16"  bushmaster for my 55gr work.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes they will feed reliably from ANY reliable AR-15 magazine.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#2]
great,how about bullet design and material?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:33:11 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are not shooting moly already, just go with plain "nekkid" bullets already.  

Are you looking for reloading info, or are you just wondering in general if 69-77 grain bullets will "work" in your gun?

if so, yes, your 1/7 twist should stabilize up to 80 grain bullets.   you will have to test them all to see which one works best, although the 69 grain is a very good all around bullet that should have good accuracy and ease of use/ loading

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#4]
bullet design and material- just go buy some sierra, nosler or hornady bullets.    doesn't matter what they are made out of, they are well made and they work.    get some 69 grain ammo and shoot it until you get bored of small groups or you want to shoot past 400yards.   then you could switch to the 77 or 80 gr bullets for the increased coef. numbers.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#5]
so molly bullets have no special advantage?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top