Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 6:15:47 PM EDT
Sorry if this is covered. I didn't see anything. Most seems to be about wound ballastics and such.

I have a 24" upper with a stainless steel bull barrel. I'm looking to start at about 50 and work my way to 200, which is as far as my local outdoor range goes. I have been using Wolf and WWB for indoor 25yd range and 50-100 last weekend at the outdoor out of my 16". I picked up some Winchester Black Box Ballistic Silvertip 55gr and WWB High Vel Varmint 45gr to try out.

If I really want to start challenging myself and start "bullseyeing" (with lots of practice of course), what type of tip, grain, and brand should I be getting?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#1]
It all depends on the rifle. You need to go out and try a bunch of different ammo and find out what shoots the best in your rifle.

I would suggest any of the heavy loads from Black Hills(68gr. to 77gr.) or Federal GMM 69gr. and 77gr. Hornady makes some very good ammo , so pick up a box or two of their 75gr. match stuff as well.

Make sure you have enough twist to keep the heavy bullets stable. As far as bullets, BTHP is the most accurate design and what most of the match loads will be, but again it depends on the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:46:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info. I thought the lighter varmint rounds might be too light, but the performed well indoors so I thought I'd give them a try. Will post my findings today.

I know I have a lot of practice needed, but I want to make sure my ammo isn't working against me.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I always use this chart as a max I put into mine.  Its at least a good starting point.  Some people say you can use higher for each twist without burning up the barrel but I won't get into that an start a flame war.

1x14, 1x12 55 gr and lighter
1x10 64 gr and lighter
1x9 69 gr and lighter
1x8 77 gr and lighter
1x7 80 gr and lighter
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#4]
OK just got back from the range. I have a 1x8 barrel

Here is what I think is my best. It is a 3" Shoot-N-C target, 20rds of WWB Varmint Hi-Vel 45gr at 50yds:

Here is the whole target. The center is using the Silvertip 55gr stuff and dialing in the scope:

Here is just me shooting it:
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow, someone at the Ben Avery public range that can hit what they're aiming at!  Incredible!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Wow, someone at the Ben Avery public range that can hit what they're aiming at!  Incredible!

This is only the 3rd time I've been there. Is that a place for people who don't know what they are doing? I thought that was SGC and Shooters World. It never ceases to amaze me when I go to Shooters World that someone will have the target at 5yds and it will look like swiss cheese.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're going to get serious, you need 100 yd groups like this:
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are going for the best accuracy in your rifle, look into some 52-53 grain flat base  match bullets, they'll generally outshoot the heavier boat tail bullets at 300 yards and less on calm days.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you're going to get serious, you need 100 yd groups like this:
www.pbase.com/wingman26/image/43513209.jpg

Very nice shooting. I hope some day to get there. Although, I am patting myself on the back a bit. That is the first shoot with the new upper, second shooting with that scope and I have only been shooting an AR15 or any rifle other than air rifles since August.

Thanks all for the tips on which bullets. I will be ordering a few different ones to try.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top