Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 2:59:19 PM EDT
I picked up a bunch of IMI SS109 bullets from Widners and a couple of thousand cases (LC91 unfired) from Jeff Bartlett.  Using H335, I've worked up a good load that meets spec velocities.

The question I have is in regards to the primer and bullet sealant.  Does anyone have any good tips on the best way to do this and a proper sealant to use?

I tried some nail polish on the primer - just dabbed some on and wiped off the excess which left a nice seal around the primer perimeter.

Not sure if this is what the arsenals use or not.

Not sure what the best way is to get the sealant on the bullet.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I am also interested in how one goes about sealing their ammo, I load some NATO pressure 75 gr bullets, and I have long wondered how to seal them for serious use.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#2]
My experience with nail polish is that it leaves residue around the firing pin hole and on the bolt face.  Whether or not this is a problem waiting to happen...I am not sure.  There are several commercial sealants available for primer pockets.  One is named Roy's Primer Sealant.  I have used that on primers, but not tried any case mouths.  Midway carries another as well, but the name escapes me.

Mil-spec ammo sometimes uses asphaltic varnish on the case neck.  I don't know how you would duplicate that easily.

Jeff

edit to add that Markron Primer Sealant is carried by Midway.  The ad appears to indicate that you can seal the bullet too, but I don't know how you do that easily.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to any well-stocked gun shop and ask for ammo sealant. Or, it is on page 32 of Cabelas Shooting Reloading 2006 catalog.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:54:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Correct on the use of "asphalt" to seal cases.....sounds like a joke, but it's not....it's just like the goo on the road.

Personally, I'd totally skip using any sealant. I think you'll be much happier in the end.....unless your planning to store your ammo under 3 atmopsheres of water pressure

Hotgun
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top