Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 5:27:49 PM EDT
I just went through and inspected 1000 rounds of 855PD I got from Sporstmans Guide ...

I pulled every round that had a dent, ding or split neck ... in the end 105 rounds were seperated as not perfect.   What do you guys consider OK to shoot?  Should I not be concerned about dings and dents?  Obviosly split necks are no good ..   Should I chuck the 5 or 6 rounds with split necks and shoot the rest?

Thanks ...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I've shot a couple thousand rounds of the PD, I did exactly what you did. I guess a few people have had some severely dented cases, like almost flattened (saw some pics on here), but none of mine were that bad. I bet I tossed maybe a dozen total...all damaged necks. Not all were split, some had the brass folded over, or some kind of debris between the neck and the bullet. Most the dented cases were't dented after being ejected.
Hope you have similar luck.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I just finished checking over 2000 rounds of XM855pd that I got from Natchez. I had a total of 27 bad rounds. Some had rolled over case mouths, a few split necks, and 5 or so that were smashed/bent at the shoulder. They looked like they got tangled in the loading machine.
Little dents or dings are no big deal. I wouldn't shoot any rounds that are bent, or have deep gouges in them. Also, watch out for rounds that have the bullet seated too deep.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:52:03 AM EDT
[#3]
You could also check for lightly loaded rounds with a scale (if you have lots of time to kill).
A quick shake test may work...   The light rounds make more noise.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys ...  in the end I'll have around 15 rounds going in the trash ....
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I must have got lucky. I went through 1k rounds last night and only found 2 bad rounds/ one with bullet croked and one not crimped and a lack of powder. About 50 other rounds had minor dents and a hundred rounds looked brand new.  Shot about 250 rounds of the pd and 200 rounds of q3131 and they both performed the same/ the pd felt hotter to me . I think I will be using this from now on for My plinking ammo.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top