Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/21/2006 12:39:54 PM EDT
I have read the various threads but could not find opinion and experiences in a defensive or SHTF situation with this round. Only opinions on its accuracy... and a brief note by Charging_Handle on the "Better performing self defense loads" thread, but it is very very brief!
Were I live I cant get hold of 5.56 hot ammo, was looking at FAE 55 and 62 gr, but maybe the Gold Medal round (23 $ a box!!!) could be good- please note, disregard completely the price factor. I would use it in a 16" HB m4gery.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#1]
69 grain in a .223 should perform better than a 55gr in a 5.56 loading.  The Federal will do extremely well as a defensive round.  However, if yuo want 5.56 loads you could always order it online and get it fron UPS.  It would be alot cheaper than paying $23 a box!  

-K
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 FEDS 69BTHP  out of my Shorty A1 and 1/9 twist!  Very accurate of any ammo Ive shot so far!

Santa Barbra SS109 almost as good

With a 1/9 twist the 69 is perfect if you go heavy you have to teat it all the way out to make sure no Key holes?

If I had a 1/7 I would try the Newer OTM 77gr

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Bullet performance will be better than the lighter weights, but a big concern is that the load is not crimped.  We have a problem with this load, as we get bullet setback after a couple of loading/unloadings.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Bullet performance will be better than the lighter weights, but a big concern is that the load is not crimped.  We have a problem with this load, as we get bullet setback after a couple of loading/unloadings.

Uh-hu...

I did notice that the Federal 223 GMM 69 BTHP do not have either crimping or sealant...
maybe the crimping issue could be solved with a Lee "factory crimp" die?
it takes a half hour to "treat" a couple hundred rounds

and I tested the die to be very reliable and quite consistent, reloaded a few K rounds and crimped with this die

I have a 16" SS Bull Barrel with a 1:9" twist on my AR, and would keep about 60 of these rounds in 2 mags for the real s**t...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the stuff in my 16" 1/7 Colt.  On sale at $16.79 per box until the end of the month too.  The Federal Premium Gold Medal 77 Grain Sierra MatchKing Boat Tail Hollow Point is also on sale for the same price.

69 Grain
www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=167212

77 Grain
www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=849444

Both even cheaper from Ammoman in 10-box amounts.
www.ammoman.com
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh-hu...

I did notice that the Federal 223 GMM 69 BTHP do not have either crimping or sealant...
maybe the crimping issue could be solved with a Lee "factory crimp" die?
it takes a half hour to "treat" a couple hundred rounds

and I tested the die to be very reliable and quite consistent, reloaded a few K rounds and crimped with this die

I have a 16" SS Bull Barrel with a 1:9" twist on my AR, and would keep about 60 of these rounds in 2 mags for the real s**t...

That's exactly what I did with all my carry ammo.  You don't need to "honk on it" either.  Just a light squeeze with the Lee Factory Crimp die will do it.  No change in accuracy or POI noted, either.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I reaload handgun ammo Dillon SD

I loaded a 115grFMJ 9 mm with out ANY kind of sealant . put it in a glass of water the next day I shot it BANG
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have read the various threads but could not find opinion and experiences in a defensive or SHTF situation with this round. Only opinions on its accuracy... and a brief note by Charging_Handle on the "Better performing self defense loads" thread, but it is very very brief!
Were I live I cant get hold of 5.56 hot ammo, was looking at FAE 55 and 62 gr, but maybe the Gold Medal round (23 $ a box!!!) could be good- please note, disregard completely the price factor. I would use it in a 16" HB m4gery.

What do you think?

Get the AE 55gr. For defensive situations at close range it will work fine. Better chance of fragmenting than the 69gr would, as the 55gr has a higher velocity.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top