Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/19/2006 4:42:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 5:10:44 PM EDT by SuperiorArmsAR]
I am far from what I would call a highly experianced shooter. Here is a little background I am shooting a very low mileage Superior Arms Ar with a 20 Varmint barrel. I sighted in with Win. super X 55gr. soft point. it only took 4 shots to get it dialed in @ 100yrds. then took a 4 shot group that you could cover with a 1/2 dollar.... all this from a gun rest to take out most of the human element. Then switched to a 50 gr. Ballistic silvertip shot a 5 shot group that grouped well but was about 3 inches up and right????? this also at 100yds.... To me this makes no sense as to why the diffence in zero..... Please any help would be appreciated!!!
The silver tip is coated with a Lubalox (Black oxide)coating... Which makes a little sense because I shot 10 shots of wolf though it last weekend and it was all over the place... So is it best to sight it in to shoot the cheaper stuff then try to find a ballistic tip that is closer to zero for Coyote??

Thanks,
Brent
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:54:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 4:58:15 PM EDT by Easy_E]
What kinda group did the silvertips shoot?
They maybe a little hotter?

Edit to add the Winchesters are coated with moly coating.Maybe that has something to do with it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:59:00 PM EDT
it shot a little over a quarter size group which I felt was good but why so far off high and right??
Thanks all,
Brent
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:23:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SuperiorArmsAR:
it shot a little over a quarter size group which I felt was good but why so far off high and right??
Thanks all,
Brent

Because the 50gr w/molly and the 55gr are different bullets and have different ballistics, and the Wolf is junk. If you are going to shoot an animal with it, zero it for the ammo you are going to use, then live with a different zero when you shoot blasting ammo, or re-zero anyway.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:11:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tromatic:

Originally Posted By SuperiorArmsAR:
Thanks all,
Brent

Because the 50gr w/molly and the 55gr are different bullets and have different ballistics, and the Wolf is junk. If you are going to shoot an animal with it, zero it for the ammo you are going to use, then live with a different zero when you shoot blasting ammo, or re-zero anyway.

+1 This is common any time you switch to different loadings. When working up a load (reloading) the POI will shift lightly using different amounts of powder.

Just sight in for the ammo you are going to use hunting. Pick one ammo and stick with it.
Top Top