Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/18/2006 6:27:39 PM EDT
I use Q3131A for practice and general SHTF, but I prefer Winchester 55 grain soft points for home/personal defense. I would like to keep the advantages of the SP, but have the little extra zip of the mil-spec stuff.

Does anyone make a 55 grain soft point loaded to M193 velocities??? For simplicity, I want to stick with 55 grain loads so I can use it in my 1/9 and 1/12 twist barrels.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Noone makes a 55 grain soft point in 5.56 pressure.  It would almost certainly fail to penetrate deply enough for defensive use if it existed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Noone makes a 55 grain soft point in 5.56 pressure.  It would almost certainly fail to penetrate deply enough for defensive use if it existed.

I don't think a couple hundred FPS would make that big of a difference in penetration. The difference in velocity would be about the same as the difference in a 20" and 16" barrel.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#3]
A viable alternative is Winchesters 64 grain Power Point, or Power Point Plus.  I would think it will still work in your 1/12 due to the fact that it's an all lead core so won't be too long.

Either way, the 55gr M-193 is no slouch in the personal/home defence realm.  

-K
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A viable alternative is Winchesters 64 grain Power Point, or Power Point Plus.  I would think it will still work in your 1/12 due to the fact that it's an all lead core so won't be too long.

-K

I've fired 64gr Power Point in a 1/12 and it didn't hit the target at 25 yards...  

YMMV,

TS
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-K

I've fired 64gr Power Point in a 1/12 and it didn't hit the target at 25 yards...  

YMMV,

TS

I keep a couple 20 round mags of PPP around for my carbines, but it DOES NOT work with a 1/12 twist.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
.. but I prefer Winchester 55 grain soft points for home/personal defense. ....

Why?  They fail to make adequate penetration.  I'd take M193 over Winchester SPs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?  They fail to make adequate penetration.  I'd take M193 over Winchester SPs.

The lighter 40-45 grain HP stuff doesn't penetrate enough, but the 55 grain does quite well. I have dead deer and hogs to prove it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:53:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I was under the impression the 55 grain soft points did not reach the 12" minimum penetration standard.  Isnt that what the Beltway Asshats used?  Fine if you have unaware targets that dont shoot back and can get a good, solid, uninterupted torso shot but bad if you have to shoot through a bad guys arms before reaching the chest becasue he is holding a gun pointed at you.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:30:02 AM EDT
[#9]
why not look at the trophy bonded bear claw bullet?  I hear good thing about them.  For home defense, you should have to shoot through any type of cover and be talking about social distances under 50 yards.  Anything loaded to 223 velocity should do just fine.  Just remember, two to the chest and one to the head.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:03:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The lighter 40-45 grain HP stuff doesn't penetrate enough, but the 55 grain does quite well. I have dead deer and hogs to prove it.

Winchester 55gr SP has only 9" of penetration, which does not meet the 12" minium*.

Shooting an unarmed deer from an angle you get to choose is NOT the way to select ammo to be used in a situation where you will have few (if any) choices.  You most likely will need MORE penetation than you would when hunting.

* From Table 1, "The Wounding Effects of 5.56mm/.223 Law Enforcement General Purpose Shoulder Fired Carbines....", Gary K. Roberts, IWBA Journal, Vol 3, No. 4 (1998)

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top