Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/13/2006 12:20:05 PM EDT
I am thinking about buying some of this tracer ammo from cabelas.  It seems to be a good price at $70 per 200 rds.  I would like some feedback from anyone who has purchased this stuff.  Are they good tracers.  At what range do these light up and go out?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought 400rds last month but haven't shot any yet.  Price is definitely cheaper than Ammoman, even including shipping costs.

The stuff I have is remanufatured with Twin Cities brass and looks decent.  It's packaged in 20rd boxes.  However, I can say that you do receive a very NICE dry box with every 200rds ordered.  The dry box is huge and well built--exceeded my expectations by far.  Could easily hold 3500 rds of 5.56mm although I wouldn'y pack that much weight into a plastic container.

Still, I have no idea about the accuracy or function of this ammo yet
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#2]
It's crap.

I bought 200 rds had have shot about 50.  Out of that 50:

about half failed to light (or were too dim to be seen in daylight)

1 squib

and it is DIRTY!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#3]
The tracer compound has a limited shelf life as it is. You can almost bet the projectiles from any mail order or gun show dealer will be unreliable.
Talon is the approved military contractor to demil and then rpackage. I would deal direct with them, this way you will be getting the most current date.
Hopes this helps.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#4]
SHot some today--worked great.  The sun had set though.  Each round fired reliably and fairly accurately (3" at  200 yds out of an SP1).  Don't shoot it in super-bright sunlight and you'll be fine.

Loved the effect.  Probably the closest I'll get to shooting a laser gun.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I just received some of the Talon tracers from Cabelas.  I shot 40 rounds at the family farm on Sunday.  Only 2 of the 40 did not ignite the phosphorous.  I shot them around 3PM and it was very cloudy.  They ignited between 80 and 150 yards and remained lit out as far as I could shoot(800yards).  I have shot some other tracers that had a greater brilliance when cutting through the sky(did not know the manufacturer) but for $70 per 200 from Cabelas these tracers are satisfactory.  If the price holds I may purchase some more later this spring.  If any of you out there know of a .223/5.56 tracer that burns brighter let me know.  I would like to purchase some tracers with the optimum brightness.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had mixed luck with the Talon surplus tracer loads.  I bought 200 rounds in 100 round batches about three months apart.

The first batch had a 25% failure rate. I considered this acceptable given the age of the tracers.

The second 100 had a 50% failure rate or worse.

Both batches were shot in the dark from a 20" barreled AR with a 1000 yard plus range to the backstop.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top