Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/11/2006 5:28:50 PM EDT
Hey guys,

Do you reccommend getting the BH 68 OTM rounds Blue Box for "go-to" ammo? My experience with their Blue box has always been good but I've only gotten the 55 GR stuff. I really rather not spend double the money for the red box ammo but obviously for this application reliability is key.

Thanks,

Riese
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:13:55 PM EDT
I've shot tons of blue box in competition and have yet to experience any failure of any kind.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:44:52 PM EDT
I would trust my life to it, it's just as good as new factory ammo. Hell, it's probably better than a lot of "new" factory ammo.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:26:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bushwacker85:
I would trust my life to it, it's just as good as new factory ammo. Hell, it's probably better than a lot of "new" factory ammo.

+1, if it shoots good in my new upper, it will be my new go to load. I can get it locally and it'd be a good self defense round. The other uppers I had didn't like it all that much. Well, it was kind of in between for one and the other one hated it. Test it out.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:04:42 PM EDT
Yes. Absolutly great ammo. The 68 grain rounds should have much better terminal performance than 55 grain rounds, as well as increased long range performance.

-K
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:53:41 AM EDT
i use it in matches all the time. very accurate.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:29:19 PM EDT
Great ammo, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:04:12 AM EDT
isn't the sights on M-16A2's and AR15's calibrated for 55 gr. ammo. I am reluctant to by anything else to shoot for this reason.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:59:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/13/2006 4:00:41 AM EDT by SWO_daddy]

Originally Posted By RRAexprtshooter:
isn't the sights on M-16A2's and AR15's calibrated for 55 gr. ammo. I am reluctant to by anything else to shoot for this reason.

First off, IIRC, the M16A2's rear sight elevation drum is calibrated in meters for M855, which uses a 62 grain bullet.

Second, each click of the rear sight's elevation drum is worth 1 MOA, so once one zeroes the rifle for a particular distance, and the chosen projectile's trajectory is known, adjusting the rear sight to the correct elevation for a known distance target is as easy as counting clicks from the chosen zero reference (usually 8/3).

Works every time and doesn't restrict you to use just one type of ammo.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:35:36 AM EDT
all my SHTF mags are loaded with the bluebox 68gr stuff. For 1/9 barrels, its the shit.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:42:26 AM EDT
A question for those more knowledgeable than I: Would you use the BH 68 OTM over Winchester Q3131A?

I have a lot of 31A and I would think it would be just as good at normal civilian self defense ranges...

Your thoughts?

B
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:42:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Brazos:
A question for those more knowledgeable than I: Would you use the BH 68 OTM over Winchester Q3131A?

I have a lot of 31A and I would think it would be just as good at normal civilian self defense ranges...

Your thoughts?

B

Q3131A is certainly going to be good defensive ammo, and having a lot of it is a good thing. Is the 68 gr. OTM a better self defense round though? Sure. You have more mass, a lower fragmentation threshold, and it frags a lot. But it is also expensive.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:27:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SWO_daddy:

Originally Posted By RRAexprtshooter:

First off, IIRC, the M16A2's rear sight elevation drum is calibrated in meters for M855, which uses a 62 grain bullet.

Second, each click of the rear sight's elevation drum is worth 1 MOA, so once one zeroes the rifle for a particular distance, and the chosen projectile's trajectory is known, adjusting the rear sight to the correct elevation for a known distance target is as easy as counting clicks from the chosen zero reference (usually 8/3).

Works every time and doesn't restrict you to use just one type of ammo.

Thanks for the education.
Top Top