Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/8/2006 3:37:06 AM EDT
Synthasising a few other threads,
1) 75 gr seems to be a great (best?) combat round for the .223/5.56
2) Black hills and Hornady make this in .223, Hornady makes it in 5.56, but you have to be LEO to get
3) The above are pricey (but worth it for what they are)
4) POI changes with weight, BC, and velocity
5) Georgia Arms uses Nosler OTM bullets in their inexpensive "canned heat" line
6) Georgia Arms doesnt mind loading hot (they make 9mm +p+, and .40 +p and +p+ even though there is no such designation per SAAMI)

SO... would people be interested in 5.56 75 gr "canned heat"?, and
If there were enough interest, would GA do it?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:36:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe you should ask them.  There is an insterest.  Look at the demand of the bh 2nds in the MK262 line.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:37:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Georgia Arms uses the Hornday 68 grain OTM in their 223 Canned Heat.

The Nosler OTMs are 69, 77, and 80.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#3]
And yes, now that Hornady stopped making their 75 gr reman ammo it would be very nice if Georgia Arms would load their Canned Heat with that bullet at 2700 to 2800 fps.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I would not do a special order as I got burned by Georgia Precision for $900 on a special order of the Black Hills Nosler.  If the Nosler load came as a stanard re-purchaseable item I would be interested.  The accuracy of the load would be the deciding factor.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would not do a special order as I got burned by Georgia Precision for $900 on a special order of the Black Hills Nosler.  If the Nosler load came as a stanard re-purchaseable item I would be interested.  The accuracy of the load would be the deciding factor.

Could you share details?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Just don't confuse Georgia Precision with Georgia Arms.... Georgia Arms has been great to deal with everytime I have called them...

Dave
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just don't confuse Georgia Precision with Georgia Arms.... Georgia Arms has been great to deal with everytime I have called them...

Dave

Ooops, I read too fast and missed the "Precision" part.  You are absolutely correct.  Georgia Arms is a class act to deal with.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm interested and would like to see where this goes. Taggage.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:47:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Maybe you should ask them.  There is an insterest.  Look at the demand of the bh 2nds in the MK262 line.

I was goint to e-mail them a link to this thread, but there does not seem to be very much interest.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Hornady loads two versions of the 75 grain bullet.  I'm sure everybody knows about the TAP loads that may or may not be law enforcement only orders at this time but they also load it in a target load for match use.  I saw these at cheaper than dirt for like 12.99 for a box of 20.  The case is normal brass instead of the black TAP stuff and the velocity is in the neighborhood of 2800.  Very good stuff.  Just FYI if you want a factory 75 grain load close to Mk262.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Hornady Match is .223 pressure not 5.56 pressure.  There is no "may or may not" on whether the 5.56 pressure ammo is LEO only.  They sell it only from their LE sales line with propper LE ID.  There is no law which says if you  are non LE you cant own it.  However Hornady wont sell it to you.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hornady Match is .223 pressure not 5.56 pressure.  There is no "may or may not" on whether the 5.56 pressure ammo is LEO only.  They sell it only from their LE sales line with propper LE ID.  There is no law which says if you  are non LE you cant own it.  However Hornady wont sell it to you.

For all Civy (and most other) requirements the Hornaday 75gr TAP in the .223 loading will serve you well. The BH 75gr blue box makes an excellent pratice round with only minor re-zeroing for the TAP.

The continued fasination with Nato pressured heavy ammo is quite interesting.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:12:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#14]
tag
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1

There's a 90 lb-ft difference at the muzzle between Hornady 75 OTM at 2800 and at 2700.

At 300 yards, that difference is about 60 lb-ft.

I'd rather let quantifiable data, not tactical labels, dictate my choices.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For all Civy (and most other) requirements the Hornaday 75gr TAP in the .223 loading will serve you well. The BH 75gr blue box makes an excellent pratice round with only minor re-zeroing for the TAP.

Why are the .30-06 loads getting hotter and hotter for hunting.  It's natural for people to want the most powerful they can get.  Especially when they're home defense weapons.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:Why are the .30-06 loads getting hotter and hotter for hunting.

For no good reason, I can tell you that.

30-06 loaded to 2700 fps has been good enough to kill anything that walks the lower 48 short of a bison or grizzly since 1906.  And with those two, no amount of bullet speed is going to make a 30-06 work.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top