Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/4/2006 5:07:08 AM EDT
I've shot only this stuff in my AK47, but I know that gun is perfectly happy being a garbage disposal.

I'd heard that the old lacquered Wolf in .223 created major problems in AR's. Something about it frying onto the firing chamber to the point it would create feed jams, permanently crap the barrel, etc.

Has the polymer-coated case solved this problem? I sure could use something cheaper and easier-to-get than the primo brass stuff. (This would be for range practice use.)
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:16:48 AM EDT
[#1]
It makes people wet the bed.

I shoot it all the time.  In my Colt.  In my LMT.  In my Armalite match rifle.  Get some!!!!

mandatory:  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#2]
load it up, shoot it and have fun.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#3]
It should work okay. As it's probably the most lightly loaded .223 on the market, you might have issues with the rifle cycling.

Other than it being inaccuracte, extra-dirty, and inconsistent it does send lead downrange! And it's cheap!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
.....you might have issues with the rifle cycling.

My mid-length Armalite does fine with XM193, American Eagle, and Rem. UMC, but has short-stroked a few times on Win. White Box. Guess I should be on the look-out for the same. May want to avoid for match use.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It should work okay. As it's probably the most lightly loaded .223 on the market, you might have issues with the rifle cycling.

Other than it being inaccuracte, extra-dirty, and inconsistent it does send lead downrange! And it's cheap!

This is the best answer so far.  Buy 1 box and try it to see if it will work in your AR.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with MrMurphy. Try a box or two. Some guns like it, some don't.

DPMS chambers have a rep for being tight-spec, and mine had some issues with stuck cases ( I suspect the poly coating was too thick on some of the rounds, since the cases which wouldn't extract showed blue lines running the length of the case, as though the excessive poly had melted), so I saved the rest of that 1K case for my .223 VEPR-K.

My Yanks (AR-15, Carbine and Garand) now get brass only, and my Ruskys (VEPR, SKS and M44) get Wolf.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I have shot hundreds of rounds of it full auto and semi auto of both types and never had a problem.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#8]
it wont hurt anything its just not very accurate and really really dirty
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:07:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I've shot about 500 rds of it in one of my ARs, it has worked perfectly for me.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Won't hurt a thing, just clean it

Runs out of my CMMG 10.5" upper just fine.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Times here sure have changed.  It wasn't too long ago I'd see nothing but flames and trash about WOLF ammo.  There's still plenty of bashing, mind you.  But the people who have actually used the stuff are generally happy with it.

Stolen directly from WOLF's website:

WOLF Performance Ammunition is the only ammunition company that provides a 100% Performance Guarantee. If you are not fully satisfied WOLF will refund your money on the unused portion of the ammunition, including any freight charges.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Dont get me wrong, I dont own any Olympic or 223 chambered uppers nor shoot the stuff past 50 yards but for blazing away on full auto at close range where the 3-4 MOA groups dont matter or plinking at close range off hand, the key is CHEAP and wolf is the king of cheap!  Its nasty stuff that will leave crud and red primer flakes EVERYWHERE in your gun but its perfect for what it was intended for IMO.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:47:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Dont get me wrong, I dont own any Olympic or 223 chambered uppers nor shoot the stuff past 50 yards but for blazing away on full auto at close range where the 3-4 MOA groups dont matter or plinking at close range off hand, the key is CHEAP and wolf is the king of cheap!  Its nasty stuff that will leave crud and red primer flakes EVERYWHERE in your gun but its perfect for what it was intended for IMO.

+1 exactly. straight up!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:03:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Well I took the chance and went ahead to order a whole case from ammoman.com

Arrived two days later, and I got out for a quickie mag-full late Sun afternoon. No problems whatsoever.......

And that through a very dirty gun from several prior boxes of various other brands over the past couple of weeks.

So, it looks like Wolf is The Solution.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:49:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Wolf works absolutely fine in my AR-15 16" middie (.223) and in my Yugo M59 SKS (7.62x39).

BlackScot -- You bought 1,000 rounds (case) of Wolf from Ammoman.com for $149, shipped, to VA?

I last bought 1,000 rounds of Wolf from Ammunitionstore.com for about $125, shipped, to my VA residence.

$149 versus $125.  Tell me who has the better deal?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:52:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Cool. I've got them bookmarked. Thanks. (Although it doesn't look like they carry any of the Lake City stuff.)
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:35:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool. I've got them bookmarked. Thanks. (Although it doesn't look like they carry any of the Lake City stuff.)

No, they do not carry Lake City QC/lot rejects. I got my last batch of that from Natchez several months ago. Just do your comparative shopping and don't forget to add shipping in the final total.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:41:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Times here sure have changed.  It wasn't too long ago I'd see nothing but flames and trash about WOLF ammo.  There's still plenty of bashing, mind you.  But the people who have actually used the stuff are generally happy with it.

WOLF Performance Ammunition is the only ammunition company that provides a 100% Performance Guarantee. If you are not fully satisfied WOLF will refund your money on the unused portion of the ammunition, including any freight charges.

That's what happens when the price of the "reliable" surplus XM193 and Q3131A shot through the proverbial roof (not referring to the PD stuff).  It's almost a 60% price difference nowadays.  Also, the availablity is pretty tight for the non-PD surplus.  I never shot the Wolf in the past, now it's all I use for general range plinking.  No functional problems with it at all.  Dirty and underpowered but good enough for blasting away at the range.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:48:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what happens when the price of the "reliable" surplus XM193 and Q3131A shot through the proverbial roof (not referring to the PD stuff).  It's almost a 60% price difference nowadays.  Also, the availablity is pretty tight for the non-PD surplus.  I never shot the Wolf in the past, now it's all I use for general range plinking.  No functional problems with it at all.  Dirty and underpowered but good enough for blasting away at the range.

+1.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:07:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
[No, they do not carry Lake City QC/lot rejects.

Quoted:
That's what happens when the price of the "reliable" surplus XM193 and Q3131A shot through the proverbial roof (not referring to the PD stuff).

I too was referring to non-PD, which I've heard plenty enough bad about to avoid. I would like, however, to hide away a case of the "reliable" for SHTF purposes.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought a case of 55gr FMJ and I finally fired some through my 14.5 Bushy last weekend.  

I had problems after around 500rds.  

I started getting stuck empties in the chamber which had to be cleared with a cleaning rod from the muzzle end.  It turns out  the poly coating was melting in the chamber causing the cases to stick.  The chamber was coated with burnt poly that was evidently "flash melting" when the round fired.  Mind you, this happened during relitively rapid fire.  There were no long delays between shots.  

Is this something new or has anyone seen this before with the new Wolf in their AR?   Or am I doing something wrong?  I still like Wolf and it's about all I use in my SKSs so don't get me wrong.  I just want to make sure it's not operator error.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Not bad if 500 rnds through the gun and then it jammed. Wolf gets my rifle dirty after 230 rnds. My AR15 only feeds on Wolf .223 with any type of magazine. My Ar15 will jam with brass ammo in low qaulity mags except for colt and dpms mags. Wolf is corrosive though, even though they say its not. It has left green crap on my flash hider, so clean your gun after shooting wolf. I love wolf ammunition and only use wolf ammo in my pistols and rifles.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Not bad if 500 rnds through the gun and then it jammed.  

Agreed.   A 500rd run aint bad I suppose.  Other than the above mentioned problem, the Bushy ran perfectly.  And if a fouled chamber is a price I have to pay for the savings on this cheap plinking ammo, then so be it.   I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:45:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not bad if 500 rnds through the gun and then it jammed.  

Agreed.   A 500rd run aint bad I suppose.  Other than the above mentioned problem, the Bushy ran perfectly.  And if a fouled chamber is a price I have to pay for the savings on this cheap plinking ammo, then so be it.   I'm happy with it.

+1.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:05:36 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Not bad if 500 rnds through the gun and then it jammed. Wolf gets my rifle dirty after 230 rnds. My AR15 only feeds on Wolf .223 with any type of magazine. My Ar15 will jam with brass ammo in low qaulity mags except for colt and dpms mags. Wolf is corrosive though, even though they say its not. It has left green crap on my flash hider, so clean your gun after shooting wolf. I love wolf ammunition and only use wolf ammo in my pistols and rifles.

Wolf is not corrosive, that green crap is the copper oxidizing and turning green. My Phantom is covered with copper bits and has a "goldish" hue to it now.

keep shooting it up! 18k and still going strong!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top