Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/31/2005 6:49:39 PM EDT
Our agency uses the Fed. 55 grn Tactical load, was curious if anyone on this forum has tried the Federal Tactical Rifle Urban 55 grn, picked up a couple boxes yesterday, Have not tested them yet.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Our agency uses the Fed. 55 grn Tactical load, was curious if anyone on this forum has tried the Federal Tactical Rifle Urban 55 grn, picked up a couple boxes yesterday, Have not tested them yet.

Thanks

How are you planning on testing them?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used it to spank some steel, It's Federal and its great ammo
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

What is the true purpose of that particular ammo, I'm currently using Hornady 75gr TAP for self-defense. Which is better?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#4]
PocketG,

The testing will be the normal Gel,Wall Board, Glass, Metal, Clothing Test.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Where in KY?  Maybe I will pop down from IN to "help".
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is the true purpose of that particular ammo, I'm currently using Hornady 75gr TAP for self-defense. Which is better?

I myself like Federal Ammo, The TAP is too hard to get (LEO letterhead) and  a lot more money
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I myself like Federal Ammo, The TAP is too hard to get (LEO letterhead) and  a lot more money

I carry Hornady TAP and it is just the opposite. I would love to carry Federal Tactical Bonded 62 gr. but it is twice the amount of the Hornady, nearly everywhere that I have looked!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Evansville PD carries this ammunition in our patrol rifles.  I would be interested in seeing some tests on it as well, so far we have had one shooting with the 55gr hollow point.  Don't ask me how, but it was a head shot and he lived.  I was not in town and did not see the crime scene pictures, but apparently there was no exit wound, not sure what the extent of the damage was to the skull and brain.  I was told it was a decent head shot and not a "graze."

I am not sure if this guy was just one lucky SOB, or if the ammo did not perform well.  In my opinion the 55gr TRU does not penetrate enough, I would like to see us go heavier, especially out of the shorter barrels.

Edited to add:  I shot 10 rounds today with a new carbine I built.  Very accurate and reliable, but at $13/box its too expensive to play with!  Siegals Uniforms in Evansville stocks the 55gr TRU if you are local.

Anyone else have anything to add?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top