Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 2:06:58 PM EDT
I have been shooting a lot of Lake City XM855PD lately with zero problems.  For the most part it is accurate enough. But I have been wondering how other brands would compare and I am due to make an Ammo order soon.

Currently I am torn between Radway Green SS109, ADCOM M855 or Lake City XM855PD.

What would you recommend for good range ammo? Good meaning acceptingly accurate and reliable.

Thanks for you input

Shoot straight and shoot often

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I would suggest staying with Lake City.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I was reciently involved in instructing our departments newly formed Patrol Rifle Program.  We had 77 students fire in the neighborhood of 53 k rounds of Winchester Q3131 and about 2 K of Q3131A.

Rifles were 16" Bushmasters.  I was present on the firing line for all 5 two-day classes.

Out of all rounds fired, I am only aware of only 5 bad rounds of ammunition.  We would have between 2-3 K open and out of the box, but the bad rounds appeared to come out of the same case.

Of the 5 bad rounds, 4 had a slightly crushed case mouth which protruded just enough to prevent the round from fully seating into the chamber.  One round had what can only be described as the shoulder being "squished" abit, causing the unfired round to get stuck in the chamber.

Over the years, our department has used various types of training ammunition, especially in 9mm.  Our staff is always in contact with other agencies Firearms Training staff from around the country.  All agree that EVERY manufacture can at times let ammunition slip through the QA process. The average citizen shooter might never see it.  A department ordering 1 million plus rounds a year probably will.

I still would recommend the Winchester Q3131 ammunition.  To have only 5 bad rounds out of about 55,000 is pretty good.  It was as accurate as could be expected, more accurate than many of the shooters were.

Just my .02 worth,

Beat Trash
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would suggest staying with Lake City.

Based upon what data??? I have shot all 3 and have no issues with any of them, except that I had to shit-can several of the lake city rounds for deep dents and bad seating.   Subjective statements that Radway is less powerful may not be an issue with accuracy, and based upon the harmonics of your rifle barrel, may actually be more accurate. POWER does not equal ACCURACY.  You need to test fire several groups of each under the same circumstancxes to find which work best for YOUR gun. If you really want accuracy, stay away from all 3 and go to Black Hills, or better yet,  reload your own, and do load tests with different bullets over a range of  powder loads (at  0.2 gr increments). Also, if you have a "standard" trigger, change to a custom 2-stage trigger like a Jewel.  I cut my groups in half with hand loading, and again in half with the new trigger.  If you just want to plink, go with the cheapest mil surplus you can get.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top