Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/19/2005 5:50:01 PM EDT
Since it is attracted to a magnet it has a steel core, correct? Is it set up like 855, but in 308? Or is more of a copper washed bullet? I did not realize this stuff had a steel core in it. Might have to pull one and cut it apart to see how its made. Usually shoot the SA stuff and that is just lead core.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Steel jacket, copper wash/plating, lead core, just like the plain 147gr FMJ from Winchester.    

7.62x51 with a steel core is AP, prohibited from civilian sales.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Steel jacket, copper wash/plating, lead core, just like the plain 147gr FMJ from Winchester.    

7.62x51 with a steel core is AP, prohibited from civilian sales.

Thats what I thought. Must be a pretty good wash as I would have never guessed it was a steel jacket. Did not know Winnie was washed either. It that because S&B makes it for them?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe my father has a case of steel cored Norinco .308 laying around, as well as 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#4]
BTW, The 8k of Port that I have are loaded with Match Grade bullets, says so right on the label of the crate.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
BTW, The 8k of Port that I have are loaded with Match Grade bullets, says so right on the label of the crate.

So does my South African stuff.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:46:32 AM EDT
[#6]
copper nickle jacket material.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:55:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah!  It's not a copper wash.  I cut into one of the bullets once.  It's a very very thin plating.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:09:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I think that the wholesaler (not the manufacturer) put those labels on.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Meaning what?  That its not match grade bullets?  I have personally pulled dozens of them and weighed them. They all weigh the same on my scale. Why would a wholsaler be relabeling ammo?

The label contains all the data that a manufacturer would have on it and there is no other label on the crate.  I think the label is factory.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'm sure they do, thats how they play the game as far as "sporting" use and all the rest of the BS. I think that it is slapped on in the Country of Origin, to get around any BS garbage dreamed up by someone. Maybe thats how some of the Countries will slide around the Non Prolif UN treaty. One can only hope. Or MAYBE it's to show that is is not AP or some other type of non importable ammo.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe someone ought to slap a "Super High Power Baby Killing" label on a crate of something or other just to see what happens.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Meaning what?  That its not match grade bullets?  I have personally pulled dozens of them and weighed them. They all weigh the same on my scale. Why would a wholsaler be relabeling ammo?

The label contains all the data that a manufacturer would have on it and there is no other label on the crate.  I think the label is factory.

I have a case of Hirtenberger where the white adhesive "label " lists it as Berden Primed (it is in fact Boxer) and has the case weight in both kilos and pounds , (with the conversion to pounds done wrong!). I feel confident that the Austrians did not affix that label.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:42:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I believe my father has a case of steel cored Norinco .308 laying around, as well as 7.62x39.

Was all the Norinco .308 steel core? Reason I'm asking is I found a case of .308 Norinco in my basement this week that I had forgotten about.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top