Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/19/2005 1:35:36 PM EDT
I typically run 55gr loads through my 1/9 ARs (XM193, Georgia Arms Canned Heat, etc), but just found some 68gr HP ammo from Black Hills(blue box) for a decent price. Is this ammo pretty good for situations involving interpersonal violence?

They also had 52gr, 55gr FMJ and soft point, 50gr VMAX
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:32:35 PM EDT
I've never done any ballistic testing, but the fragmentation threshold is very close to the BH 75gr OTM according to the fragmentation charts on the ammunition forum. From what I have read, heavier bullets tend to perform better than lighter bullets with similar bullet design. Others may have more info than I. I have shot a good amount of that stuff and it shoots great groups.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=189353
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:00:36 PM EDT
IIRC the 68 and 69 grain bullets have the shortest wound neck.

(IE they fragment the fastest after hitting the target.)

But I might be wrong.

I do use BH 68 gr for HD.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:48:10 PM EDT

I found that it works plenty good at the 200 and 300 yard lines in NRA highpower---past that I have not attempeted. It has also claimed 2 coyotes for me in the last year but I usually use my match handloads for yote hunting.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:49:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:
I typically run 55gr loads through my 1/9 ARs (XM193, Georgia Arms Canned Heat, etc), but just found some 68gr HP ammo from Black Hills(blue box) for a decent price. Is this ammo pretty good for situations involving interpersonal violence?

They also had 52gr, 55gr FMJ and soft point, 50gr VMAX

I like it. I'm in the midst of doing more in depth accuracy testing with it. I would like it to be my go to round if it is acceptable accuracy wise. My colt didn't use to like it but then Black Hills did some changing because a bunch of us were whining that it didn't shoot well in our rifles / carbines. I think it's better now, but I need to do more testing. I've been shooting Garands all summer. But I can get it locally it's not ridiculously expensive and it is supposed to be good performer terminally. I'd probably go with the 75's if I could get them locally.

BTW, the 52's have been very accurate in 2 of the ar's we have in our family. Like 1 moa 1.75 moa accurate.
Top Top