Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/10/2005 5:17:37 AM EDT
Please add your personal experience with ADCOM ammunition to this thread. When you do, please give information about:
1) Firearm used in
2) Approximate number of rounds fired.

I am trying to solicit only information about your PERSONAL experience with this ammunition. If you haven't used it, then please don't clutter up the thread. Information about proper functioning (or lack thereof) is obviously the most important, but factors such as the accuracy or other peculiarities you've noticed are informative also. If you have had problems with this ammo which were severe enough to cause you to stop using this ammo, then please describe them. And one more minor request: keep your reviews objective.

Once again - if you have had problems with this ammo and voted to that effect, you are not doing anyone any favors by not posting in this thread and describing what those problems were.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely no problems with mine. Have fired bit over 300 rounds from seperate boxes. Bought 5 K. Seemed to recoil the same as 855. Got around 3-4 inches at 100 yds with and open sight Colt LEO 16"carbine. No FTF, FTE. Very consistant ammo as far as crimping, spot on. Primers all sealed, pulled a few bullets and all had neck sealant. Nice clean brass. Large primer holes on the ones I pulled the bullets on. Has a penetrator in the bullet and an air pocket in the front of it. Bullet gilding metal about the same thickness as 855.  All of mine are 99 manf dated. Broke or I would buy more. Very satisfied with it. Will try it in my 20" AR with 3x9 to see what potential is. Bought from AIM $330.00 per 2 K. Boxes came thru Century on import as it was marked on box under tape. Neatly packaged and boxed with plastic seperator between rounds. Brass or primers showed no signs of problems after firing.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Put 360 rounds through and M16 with it yesterday. Both on semi and full. Zero malfunctions. Loved the stuff. Will buy more for sure. And pray that we can get LOTS more of it.

Hell, at this price, I may stop buying Wolf.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#3]
no problems.  chrono'd a batch last week and posted the results, a little over 1% SD as I recall, on around 2930 fps avg out of a BM 14.5 inch.  

I guess the price is okay.  Its 16.5 cents/round from AIM (for 2000+ rounds) before tax and shipping (or tax and gas, in my case), compared to about 20 cents/round for gunshow XM193 (not PD).  Wolf is still way cheaper for plinking, but until a lot more people respond with their experience I would not put the ADCOM stuff in the "absolutely has to go bang" catagory like XM193.  Of course by the time I have satisfied myself that its dependable, the supply will have dried up or the price will have risen out of sight.

Had one ugly looking round, with a large dent at the start of the neck.  It shot okay.  

I await the inevitable "it caused a kaboom, made me sterile, and killed my dog" report.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:07:05 AM EDT
[#4]
A "see results" option would be nice on the poll for all of us who are interested, but have not tried it yet
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:07:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A "see results" option would be nice on the poll for all of us who are interested, but have not tried it yet

The main ammo review thread will have the results in it. It may not be completely up-to-date, but you'll have a good idea anyhow.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I shot a 30 rd mag today, and of that mag 29 functioned flawlessly, the 1 other rd was a squib.  It came right out with a cleaning rod, and I know it can be a completely random thing, but to have my first one ever in one mag of a new ammo.  I'll shoot some more this weekend and update my post before I vote in the poll.  I just thought I should let everyone know.

Update 10/22/05:

I shot 70 more rounds and had 3 fail to fire, all with good primer strikes.  After that I shot 60 rds of wolf with no troubles.  I will not be buying more, especially now that the new Q3131 is showing up.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The main ammo review thread will have the results in it. It may not be completely up-to-date, but you'll have a good idea anyhow.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

know any good cycle shops in Woodbury?
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#9]
That's got me a little freaked out.  How can you tell if you've got a squib prior to blowing rifle to smitherenes.  Is there a noticable reduction in recoil or do you have to observe your impacts?
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I never had a squib round so I can't say for sure. But a squib round is when there is little or no powder, so there would be dramatically less recoil if any. Please correct me if I'm wrong...
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Not to change the topic, but...

ETA: Although I haven't had any problems with the ADCOM, I had a squib while shooting a .38 about a month ago.

No smoke or fire out of the barrel and it went pop instead of BANG.

I knew it right away and rammed it out with a cleaning rod easily enough.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Range report coming 2morrow, Hopefully all goes well...
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 9:13:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I had a squib while shooting a .38 about a month ago.

No smoke or fire out of the barrel and it went pop instead of BANG.

I knew it right away and rammed it out with a cleaning rod easily enough.

You had a .38 squib while firing adcom M855? Myself i voted that i like it. I have fired almost 300 rounds and 0 problems.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#14]
signs of a squib

rifle FTE the case or if it does it doesn't pick up the next one.
lower recoil or none
not full on "bang" typically get
no observed impact
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 12:04:02 PM EDT
[#15]
300 rds. fired no problems rifles used (2) 16" M4gery`s (1/7 twist) CMMG upper`s on a bushy lower and the other on a dpms lower.-Todd

Well I fired another couple hundred (241) rounds today and had a blown primer jam up the works real good (bolt stuck back 3/4 of the way) had to take of stock to tap bolt forward and low and behold a primer fell out. -Todd
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Just started seeing this locally..Bushmaster, 40 rounds ( yeah I know, but thats all I could get at the time) but it seems pretty nice..
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Another 240 today, no problems. Colt M-4. Ran 1 mag thru my 20" Colt A2. 3x9 scope. Couple inches groups. Not in the same class as the 53 grain BTHP match ammo I shot afterwards but a heck of a lot cheaper. That stuff was at or under 1 1/4 a few times and I'd bet someone other then me could beat that easily. Saw no loose primers or excessive pressure signs.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Bought 500 rounds of this stuff at the fun show yesterday along with 1k of Wolf.

I filled three magazines up and I couldnt even get through the first mag. No problems with the Wolf or WWB.

I could get one or two shots off, but the next one would not fire. The bullet was chambered, but it would not shoot whatsoever. No feeding issues, it extracted fine, but would not shoot AT ALL. I only brought 60 rounds of it cause I was using up my WWB, and just wanted to try them out. I may try some different boxes of it, but if anyone wants 440 rounds of this stuff $70 + shipping and its yours.

Stag arms lower, del-ton 16" upper kit.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Ordered 1000 from AIM - got 1999 headstamps

Shot 90 or so rounds yesterday.  All functioned fine in a 16" LMT upper, RRA lower.  

The only problem was 1 round that had a messed-up case.  The brass looked like they didn't quite have enough metal when they formed the casing.  I didn't shoot this round.  I'll post pics when I get a chance & can firgure it out. lol

EDIT: Loaded up another 90 rounds tonight - haven't fired them. Found 2 more rounds with damaged necks.  Both have cracks in the necks, one of them also has a dent in the brass.  I think these would feed and fire but it's frustrating that this new brass is messed-up.

Moral of the story?  Examine each round before loading and firing.  

Mike
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Anybody have any ideas what would cause the problem I was having?
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#21]
By "not shoot whatsoever" do you mean the primier did not fire?  The primer fired, the powder didn't?

Do you see a good dent in the primer?
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Sorry primer did not fire, sounded like a dry fire when I pulled the trigger. No dent in the primer either.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Very odd.

Did you recycle the bolt and attempt to fire the same round again?  I am not sure I have heard of a failure to fire w/o a dented primer unless it is a problem with the weapon or a dramatically out of spec piece of ammo.  Lack of a primer dent means that the the firing pin never made contact.  A fining pin should make some dent even on solid brass.  Check to make sure that the round is in spec for case length, OAL and make sure that the primer isn't sucked in to the case.  If the round passes, start looking at the firing mechanism on your rifle.  Given that there have been very few reports of others having the same problem as you, that would also lead you to examine the rifle closely.  You should also look at the empties of the rounds that did fire for evidence of light strikes.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Just built the rifle last week, specs are in above posts. It did shoot all my Wolf and Winchester ammo with no hiccups whatsoever which leads me to believe rifle is fine. But will check it out.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Sorry primer did not fire, sounded like a dry fire when I pulled the trigger. No dent in the primer either.

No way that FP hit the primer on that round. There should have been a small indentation even without pulling the trigger just from the FP free floating. Did you try to fire the round again?
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 3:16:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Yes round would fire again, then I would go through the same set of problems say 3-4 bullets afterwards
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 7:04:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Yes round would fire again, then I would go through the same set of problems say 3-4 bullets afterwards

I don't want to turn this into a "What's wrong with my rifle thread". Please take it to the Troubleshooting Forum. It's very curious that your ammo is showing no signs of a firing pin indetation with this ammo, but works reliably with others. Pick Tweak's brain about it. he may have some suggestions.
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't want to turn this into a "What's wrong with my rifle thread". Please take it to the Troubleshooting Forum. It's very curious that your ammo is showing no signs of a firing pin indetation with this ammo, but works reliably with others. Pick Tweak's brain about it. he may have some suggestions.

Awesome, thanks for the help. I just built this rifle(my first time) so i'm new to troubleshooting my own stuff, thanks a lot!
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 8:03:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Bushmaster with 20" barrel with irons. Temperature was low 40's, wind was 10-15 mph across range with higher gusts, occasional light rain. Shot 400 rounds with no malfunctions. Lot # AML99M010-002. Largest 20 shot group at 50 yards measured 1.5"x1.25". No fliers. All rounds nice and shiny. No dents. Sealant around primer seemed excessive but it left NO residue in gun.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#31]
The pattern seems to be reports of blown primers and squibs- now we know the reason this stuff was surplused.  LOL!

Adcom M855 for plinking; LC/WCC M855 for SHTF.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 8:08:22 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
The pattern seems to be reports of blown primers and squibs- now we know the reason this stuff was surplused.  LOL!

Adcom M855 for plinking; LC/WCC M855 for SHTF.

Personally, I'm not ready to call 2 or 3 people having issues a pattern.  I'm gonna suspend judgement until there's a larger pool of people with the same issue.  For all we know, at this point it could simply be a case of slightly tighter chambers.

-Frank
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#33]
CFG-Frank- I have not had issues with the 1999 lot of Adcom either (after a small sample of 200 rounds).  However, do keep in mind this is surplus stuff. There was a reason for the surplus. Little hiccups here and there including KB!s should be expected when using surplus stuff.  I personally would not trust surplus for SHTF.

With a few reports of near squibs and squibs, I won't be rapid firing this stuff either.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
CFG-Frank- I have not had issues with the 1999 lot of Adcom either (after a small sample of 200 rounds).  However, do keep in mind this is surplus stuff. There was a reason for the surplus. Little hiccups here and there including KB!s should be expected when using surplus stuff.  I personally would not trust surplus for SHTF.

With a few reports of near squibs and squibs, I won't be rapid firing this stuff either.

Actually, the reason is that they [the company] want to expand their market so they can smooth out the hills and valleys of production vs demand. After about 750 rounds now, I have had zero problems, weapons were a 6920 and a 20" Colt preban AR. Have found no loose primers and had no other problems. Have not been able to collect ALL my brass but have gotten most of it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 5:35:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Thought I posted my review here, but it's in the main ammo section, generally, not too good, seven missing primers similar to other posts here and several misfeeds and a few ejection problems. I also shot 40 Lake City M193 without problems. Ordered 500 with 9 bad cartridges and shot 100 today.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Opened 15 twenty round boxes. Found one round that had a bulge at the transition between the shoulder and the body of the case. Did not load it into a magazine. Went to the range with the other 299 rounds. The fourth round of the second magazine failed to chamber completely. Had to pound the stock on the ground 11 times to get the round to chamber. It, along with the rest of the rounds, fired okay. Rapid fired 5-30 round magazines without problems. Checked primers of all fired cases. All looked normal. Noticed alot of red primer around the edge of the bolt face.
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Fired 100 rounds of the 1000 I got from AIM in a Colt 16" 1/7 carbine.   Rapid fire did get the barrel hot but there was no indictions of high pressure, no popped primers.  It was 04 manufacture.  No dents or other deformities, checked about 50 rounds in cartridge gage.  Very uniform on sizing and case length.  Crimping also was uniform, some of the nicest "surplus" I've seen.
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 6:16:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Fired 60 rounds with no problems, retained all cases and all primers were intact.
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Fired another 250 rounds or so through a 16" LMT

Near as I can figure, I had a split neck that I missed while loading my mags.  The round fired and the neck burst, getting stuck in the chamber and preventing the next round from loading properly.  Of course this happened during an informal tactical match with 10 people watching while I tried to clear it but I need to pay more attention to the ammo I'm loading....

At first, I thought the case was out of spec but upon further investigation, after clearing the round, I was unable to close the bolt all the way with no round in the chamber.  Finally, with the help of flashlights and a dental pick, I found a flat flake of brass that was stuck in that I was able to get out. Ran the boresnake from the muzzle to chamber to clear anything else out and it was up and running for a fun day at the range.

I think the key thing with this ammo is to examine it carefully while loading up.

ETA - I didn't have any blown primers that I'm aware of.

Link Posted: 11/8/2005 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#40]
I am not sure if blown primers are considered a major problem or not.  I voted major just because I will not buy this again.  I have never experienced this issue with XM193, XM855, AE, Radway, PMP, or UMC.

I only popped twenty and had two blown primers and four more cases showed bulged primers.  Ten were shot with a 20" 1/7 and ten were shot with a 16" Mid 1/7.

This is a sign of high pressure, no?  Should I refrain from shooting the remaining 980 I own?  I do not know if it matters, but the two blown ones came from the 16".  Bulged primers occured with both rifles.

I should not have ordered 1K, but I got excited and thought it was the second coming of South African.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 11:36:18 AM EDT
[#41]
There is a reason why this newly manufactured ammo is on the surplus market.................junk!
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Very unscientific range shoot:

Bought a box of 2,000 ADCOM 62s gr. Box said "Century Arms Vermont," with Lot # AML99M010-002. Brass very clean and shiny; no obvious flaws the eye could see. Packed 20/box marked "ADCOM."

Tools Used:                                                                                                                               Colt H-Bar 20 in heavy barrell
RCBS Precision Mike
Micrometer
Dial Calipers

Target Used:
Standard Military 75 meters
(looks like Darth Vader helmet on white one inch grid)

Took out three(3) separate 20 round boxes from top, bottom, and center of 2,000 round case. Fired all 60. Grouped 1 to 1.5 moa at 75 meters.

Headspace
Pre-firing: =.002 to +.000

Link Posted: 11/9/2005 9:17:55 AM EDT
[#43]
As I was saying:

Headspace of 60 rounds:
Pre-firing= ranged from +.002 to .000
Post-firing= ran +.011 to +.008

Cartridge case length:
Pre-firing= ranged from 1.749 to 1.750
Post-firing= ranged from 1.760 to 1.750

Cartridge case diameter:
Pre-firing=ranged from .3730 to .3733
Post-firing= ranged from .3755 to .3768

Case Mouth O.D.:
Pre-firing=ranged from .2484 to .2480
Post-firing=ranged from .2573 to .2553

Had absolutely no problems with primers; no signs of excessive pressure  nor popped out. Clean burning powder (you could clearly see brass down into fired case).  Primer ignition hole a little larger diameter than usual.  Perceived recoil like norman LC SS109.

Seems like the headspace on my beast will eat this stuff no problems.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Seems like Colts will fire this with no problem. Maybe some of the popped primers are from headspace problems? All I have shot has been thru Colts and I have no problems in a bit under 1000 rounds. [6920, 6721, 20" A2] I have yet to have found a popped primer or one that has shown leakage.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Seems like Colts will fire this with no problem. Maybe some of the popped primers are from headspace problems? All I have shot has been thru Colts and I have no problems in a bit under 1000 rounds. [6920, 6721, 20" A2] I have yet to have found a popped primer or one that has shown leakage.

All my guns have digested it fine. Guns i have used it in Colt sportster 20" 1/7 hbar, Bushmaster M4 profile, Bushmaster 16" profile, Bushmaster 20" SS 1/9 Hbar, RRA 16" chrome moly, franken 16" upper chrome moly. 0 popped or displaced primers 0 ftf/fte it has worked perfect.
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 5:47:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Finally got to shoot some of the case of 2000 I ordered today.  1999 production, all rounds physically looked great.

2 guns used:

1. HK53
2. Steyr AUG A2

Fired rounds from both guns in semi-auto and full auto, total 200 rounds per gun.  No problems or malfunctions at all.  Didn't get a chance to bring the M16 out but will update when I have chance to run a couple hundred through it as well.

Shooting was done at dusk and the flash-retardant used definitely makes a big difference.  With a standard A2 FH on the HK53, regular ball ammo loading using milsurp powder would make a flame large enough to obscure and block out an EOTech FOV.  With the Adcom ammo, flash was greatly reduced and the reticle did not wash out.  

Less noticeable difference on the AUG with the longer 16" barrel and new style FH.

Made this offer privately to others reporting problem with this ammo, but I'm interested in whatever quantity people have left if you have had problems with it and are willing to discount it.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 7:11:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Took out the Colt gov't carbine yesterday.  Sixty rounds, no malfunctions,no popped primers.  "Brisk" recoil in this light carbine.  The total so far is 160 rounds with no problems.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 11:05:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Fired 59 rounds today, 1999 lot. 60th round was pulled due to significant dents on the shoulder of the case. 100% functional in a Colt 6520, no functional issues. Factory gun with an M16 bolt/carrier/FP. Fired quickly, 20 at a time. Accuracy was acceptable, comparable to XM193.

Of the 59 rounds, I found 4 fired cases that had a pinhole pierce in the center of the primer, and about 1/3 of the primers showed signs of excess pressure in the form of the firing pin indentation being flattened back outward after firing. The flattening alone is not necessarily a bad sign, because primers can vary,  but I've never seen this on other 5.56mm ammo.

Fired 20 rounds of XM193 afterwards to confirm gun was working properly. Those rounds all fired normally and showed no signs of excess pressure.

I will use up what I have and probably not buy it again due to the primer/pressure issues.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Fired another 200+ rds. had several (8-9) blown primers in one of my AR`s same one that had problems with this stuff last time I shot it`s a DPMS lower with a CMMG upper 16" M4gery upper, but  my other AR ate this stuff up Bushy lower with a CMMG 16" M4gery upper. Have not had either of them headspaced yet. -Todd
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#50]
I ordered 1k and have shot about 500 rounds -- so far about 7 I found that I didn't want to run through my gun yet (minor dents, would probably be ok).

No blown primers.

Running it through a bushmaster lower and bushmaster 14.5" 1/7 twist barrel with a CMT upper and a RRA Enhanced bolt carrier group.

Ben

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top