Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/11/2003 9:29:39 PM EDT
I've read that, to compliment the new XM-8 rifle being developed to replace the M16/M4, a polymer-cased 5.56mm round is being developed.  It is supposed to operate at the same pressures at conventional brass-cased rounds, and give the same velocity, but be much lighter to carry.  Anyone have more info on these?  I'm curious how a polymer casing could withstand 55,000+ psi pressures in a rifle case.  Any word if the 6.8mm round will also use this?
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:28:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Good grief I have never even imagined using polymer as a cartridge case... Humm interesting to be sure.

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I may not be up to date on the latest technology, but I can't see a polymer that would hold up to those pressures and temperatures.

Link Posted: 12/12/2003 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#3]
sounds neat so i googled it and found
this pdf
www.dtic.mil/ndia/2002infantry/husseini.pdf
3.86megs
also a couple of hits that mention this possibly in use with the XM8.
being developed by a company called NATEC formerly AMTECH. got more hits searching for AMTECH polymer cased ammuntion than i did natec.
still looking though, pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#4]
sounds neat so i googled it and found
View Quote

I hope you didn't google it in public! [peep]
[:)]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#5]
well if nobody was around is it still considered out in public? [:D]

anyway, its claimed that this stuff keeps the chamber cooler and gives same velocity with less powder.
i would like to now just how much cheaper it is. i could go for $100 a case M855
oh well its not like us civies will ever get any of this. evil plastic ammo gets past metal detectors or some such crap..
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't check the pdf you found but,FWIW, I picked up a dummy round of polymer cased ammo at a law enforcement trade show back in 1991. Headstamp is AMTECH at the 12 and 223 at the 6 position. The bottom 3/8" of the case is brass and the rest is white polymer. Manufacturer's rep. at that time said it was coming out soon.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm betting that it is not reloadable.

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:25:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I didn't check the pdf you found but,FWIW, I picked up a dummy round of polymer cased ammo at a law enforcement trade show back in 1991. Headstamp is AMTECH at the 12 and 223 at the 6 position. The bottom 3/8" of the case is brass and the rest is white polymer. Manufacturer's rep. at that time said it was coming out soon.
View Quote

During AMTECH's brief commercial run of polymer cased .38 Special ammo, their reps handed out polymer cased dummies of 5.56x45mm, 7.62x51mm, and 12.7x99mm (.50 BMG).
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I remember they ran ad's in the magazines at the time.  I'm wondering what the holdup has been.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top