Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/5/2003 10:41:33 PM EDT
First off, thanks for looking

Over the years I have collected several five gallon buckets full of once-fired 223 brass. Since surplus LC M193 is so inexpensive chances are I won't be reloading 223 in mass quantities anymore, so I've got more brass than I know what to do with.

It would be a shame to throw it away, so what's the best way to get rid of it? Do gunshops buy it? Should I try to sell it on eBay or something? Any ideas?

It's primarily Federal (American Eagle), Winchester, and Lake City.

Thanks in advance for your help. It would certainly free up some space in my workroom if I could clear some of it out.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Offer to give it to a reloader or a few reloaders, or take it to a recycling center where you should be able to get a few bucks for all that brass.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 5:55:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it mixed?  The winchester and LC is good for reloading, but the Federal's not.  If you've got a bucket of LC, I'll pay shipping to send it to me.  [:)]
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 6:01:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I might be interested in paying shipping for some of it, too.   A gallon jug or two's worth, anyway. I don't shoot as much as I'd like to (the only decent range is a road trip from here) but yeah, I'd pay a little to get some more once fired brass, and I don't mind if some of it IS Federal. It's just fine as far as I've been able to determine.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 6:54:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies guys. For the heck of it I called a local FFL and he is willing to pay two cents per piece. I figure I have about 30k pieces total, so that's [b]$600[/b] [:O]

I've been accumulating this brass for years and didn't think it was actually worth anything. I've got several thousand rounds of 9mm, 40s&w, 357, and 45acp too.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 6:59:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies guys. For the heck of it I called a local FFL and he is willing to pay two cents per piece. I figure I have about 30k pieces total, so that's [b]$600[/b] [:O]
View Quote

Who says it doesn't pay to shoot a lot. [:D]. I'll have to start shooting more so I can save to buy another AR....
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#6]
And to think I leave it swept into a pile at the range....
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#7]
melt it down, have them molded into FYA figurines...sell on AR15.com, make fortune, retire immediately.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 4:57:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Around here, scrap place wont touch firearm brass. One place told me the stuff is "poor quality" material.  I smarted off to the fella and asked "what if I ground it up to look like machine shop debris?",,, he said nothing...  

Last drum of "berdan" rifle shells and pistol stuff I had I took to a different place, they let me dump it, then said I'd only get 2 cents/pound--- 131 pounds for $2.60, regular brass scrap will get you about 24 cents around here.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 5:57:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Funny...around here, you get as much for fired brass as any other kind of brass, practically.

The local pro reloading shop recently recycled TEN TEN GALLON BUCKETS filled ONLY with used PRIMERS from their reloading operation.   It's all a healthy man could do to lift the bucket to the tailgate of a pickup truck without dropping his nuts into his shoe.

I wonder how many rounds of ammo THAT pile of primers represents?  A hundred gallon's worth, by volume?

I'm thinking in the millions.  But how many millions?

CJ
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 6:25:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, I did the deed and got paid. I had a [b]lot[/b] more than I originally thought and he bought $700 worth [:)]

I've got about 12k left that I'm going to hang on to until he needs more. I've also thrown some up for sale too.

I've also got thousands of rounds in pistol calibers, so I'll try my hand at that and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well, I did the deed and got paid. I had a [b]lot[/b] more than I originally thought and he bought $700 worth [:)]

I've got about 12k left that I'm going to hang on to until he needs more. I've also thrown some up for sale too.

I've also got thousands of rounds in pistol calibers, so I'll try my hand at that and see how it goes.
View Quote

Good to hear.

Though it sounds like I'll be needing to buy more guns... What better hobby than guns. Buy lots of them, piss off antis, and it's your right. Shoot lots of ammo, have lots of fun. In the end, sell the brass and make a killing!
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#12]
The .45 is worth $45 a 1000 with Georgis Arms, 9mm, 10-15 per. Also check with your local scrap yard. If you have .308 match, alot of shooters may buy that.

Mark
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top