Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/19/2003 7:11:26 AM EDT
I pulled together some '02 production Q3131A, XM193 from the same year, and some WCC87 - this late of the recent Ammoman special - and compared the three.

Conditions: 80 degrees, sunny, wind 10 to 14 mph from the South.

Range: 50 and 100 yards.

Rifle: Bushmaster 20" A3, A2 profile barrel, ACE stock, Leupold Vari-XIII 4.5x14X40, 10 round magazine loaded with stripper clips.

Technique: Rifle shot off a bench w/forend rest.  Barrel cleaned with 2 pulls of a Boresnake every 10 rounds.

The appearance of the three is what you'd expect: the XM193 is dull 'n dirty compared to the bright 'n shiny Q3131A, and the WCC87 is a bit dull but very presentable.  The loading "spoons" in the WCC87's bandoleers had a fair amount of oxidation but some quick work with a wire brush took care of that.

I zeroed the scope with XM193, then started with 10 shot groups at 50 yards.  Here's what I got:

XM193: This wound up being 2 five shot groups,  1 11/16" and 1 13/16" respectively.  Best 3 shot groups in each: 15/16" and 11/16" respectively.

Q3131A: 10 shot group size - 1 9/16".  There were three miniscule 3-shot groups in this string: two of 11/16" and one of 5/8".

WCC87: 10 shot group of 2 1/16", which includes a pretty nasty flyer.  Remove said flyer and you get a 9 shot group of 1 11/16". There was one 3 shot group of 9/16".

Impressions at 50 yards: Virtually identical 10-shot group sizes with POI vs. POA being the same as well, but the Q3131A really excelled, having three 3-shot groups under an inch with 3 pairs of touching holes.

- 100 Yards -
I shot two 10-shot groups for each ammo type, shooting one of each then repeating the order.  Results listed are the best achieved.

XM193: Best 10-shot group = 4 3/4".  Best 3-shot group = 11/16"  # of shots within 1MOA of POA = 5

Q3131A: Best 10-shot group = 2 1/4".  Best 3-shot group = 13/16".  # of shots within 1 MOA of POA = 3  If I had adjusted the scope up a few clicks, there would have been seven 1 MOA hits in one 10 shot group.

WCC87: Best 10-shot group = 4 1/4".  Best 3-shot group = 1/2".  # of shots within 1 MOA of POA = 2.

General Conclusions: The WCC87 is capable of good accuracy but seems to be suffering from "storage stiffness" as it wasn't as consistant and the other two ammo types - it shot a bit high for one group and a bit low the next.  The Q3131A had the best overall accuracy. The Federal ammo shot as well as I've come to expect and was close behind the Q3131A in accuracy.  There was no blatant difference between POA and POI of the different ammos apparant in such a small sampling but there is a hint of the hottest loads being the XM193, followed by the Q3131A and WCC87, respectively.

You may well decided not to hold the WCC87 as it's already old enough to drive in most states, but there's no reason that I can see to not expect decent performance from it.

Hope this helps!

[spell check and syntax clean-up scheduled for later today]

Link Posted: 10/19/2003 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome tests!!!.No need to finish my owns tests now.Still not sure what to go for though.ha ha. I purchased some of all the loads that you tested.I think i will just go with what ever i find cheapest out of the three at the next show.Thanks alot!!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top